Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
bcbbmom

Has anyone been asked for a W9 for reimbursement?

This is insane. We've been trying to get reimbursed for warranty work that was done in May. Keystone sent our check to the wrong people, who cashed it, and now Keystone wants us to fill out a W9 before they send us our check. This company is aging me.
bcbbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
Harley76

My guess would be they are going to write the first check off as a loss on their taxes and need the W9 as proof of who the second payment was made to.
Harley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
Murphsmom

And then you will get a 1099 and have to claim the reimbursement on your taxes! I would be doing some more phone work on this one. It smells fishy.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
BulletOwner1

First, I'm not a tax expert!! But wouldn't it be a refund? If you had to you could prove you had to pay out first in order to get the refund. There's no income here.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
mazboy123

keystone

is this keystone or the dealer?

what you are saying doesn't make sense. you need to get on the phone.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
kellydog98

I'm also not a tax expert but this certainly is not an income benefit which needs reported on your end. Without sounding argumentative, I have consulted attorney's who have simply written a letter, (usually one I have constructed), which spells out what you have done, what they did, what happened, and what needs to happen now. It's always amazed me how a letter from an attorney gets noticed quickly. More so than when I sent the same exact letter. (Without some of the wherefore's and party of the first part). Anyway, the letter was never out of anger, it was a tool to get the job done. Good Luck.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
bcbbmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphsmom View Post
And then you will get a 1099 and have to claim the reimbursement on your taxes! I would be doing some more phone work on this one. It smells fishy.
This is what I was concerned about, as well. My husband said if it becomes an issue, we'll show proof that we paid for the work upfront.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #8
bcbbmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy123 View Post
is this keystone or the dealer?

what you are saying doesn't make sense. you need to get on the phone.
This is Keystone. Our dealer is 6 hours away, so Keystone told us that we could go to an independent dealer and have it done. We had to pay for it upfront, and they promised to pay us back. It's been a nightmare.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
bcbbmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellydog98 View Post
I'm also not a tax expert but this certainly is not an income benefit which needs reported on your end. Without sounding argumentative, I have consulted attorney's who have simply written a letter, (usually one I have constructed), which spells out what you have done, what they did, what happened, and what needs to happen now. It's always amazed me how a letter from an attorney gets noticed quickly. More so than when I sent the same exact letter. (Without some of the wherefore's and party of the first part). Anyway, the letter was never out of anger, it was a tool to get the job done. Good Luck.
I like your idea, and I'm pretty sure we will need to consult an attorney in the future if we have to deal with these people. My husband told me to go ahead and send them the W9, but we're both feeling uncomfortable about it. Honestly, though, since we've bought this thing in March, not much has gone right with it.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
So Cal CPA

We'll I am a tax expert and have no idea why they want you to fill out a W-9.

As mentioned previously a W-9 is given to vendors for purposes of issuing 1099's at end of year. or they could just be doing as policy.

How much is said check? Either way keep your receipts for what you paid out of pocket in case they do issue you a 1099. If they do issue you one my suggestion on your return is to include it, then reverse it out and include an explanation as to why it is not income and include receipts and any other docs to show that it is a reimbursement check rather than income. If you get a 1099 and simply decide not to report, as above, you will automatically get a letter from the IRS asking for money.

Good luck. PM me with questions.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #11
bcbbmom

It's for a little over $1200. Thank you for your advice. I'm really hoping it won't be an issue. Btw, I'm still waiting on my check from Keystone, even after giving them what they want. I've honestly never had so much hassle from a company.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #12
Yosemitebob

Ask them why they want a W-9?
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #13
bcbbmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
Ask them why they want a W-9?
I did, and their answer was "It's our new policy". Anyway...still waiting on my check.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #14
Bob Landry

That doesn't pass the smell test. If Keystone sent the first check to the wrong people and they cashed it, then Keystone needs to go after them for theft. Their problem. Meanwhile, they owe you money.
If you paid out of pocket for a warranty repair and have a receipt to show for it, then they owe you that amount. It's not a payment or income, it's reimbursement. How Keystone handles their internal accounting should not have any effect on you. You are simply owed $1200 with no attached hassles.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:57 AM   #15
edstep

I just went through the same thing, Keystone told me in Aug rules were revamped so they can track their expenses

At this time if you want to get paid you have to go by their rules. First of all W9's are for a business

I dont know how they can misuse a gov form for their own use
Old 09-18-2014, 04:01 AM   #16
jsmith948

Have you considered contacting Good Sam's help line? If we are to believe what is printed in Trailer Life magazine, they are quite effective in helping folks resolve disputes with RV manufacturers, vendors, etc.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:41 AM   #17
edstep

I guess my biggest concern is giving out my SS again, for something that shouldnt be. Im sure they will protect all our data
Old 09-18-2014, 05:57 AM   #18
Murphsmom

Have you thought about contacting the IRS help line and asking them about the legality of issuing a W-9 for a refund?
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #19
bcbbmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
That doesn't pass the smell test. If Keystone sent the first check to the wrong people and they cashed it, then Keystone needs to go after them for theft. Their problem. Meanwhile, they owe you money.
If you paid out of pocket for a warranty repair and have a receipt to show for it, then they owe you that amount. It's not a payment or income, it's reimbursement. How Keystone handles their internal accounting should not have any effect on you. You are simply owed $1200 with no attached hassles.
I agree, but honestly, nothing has felt right with this company since we bought this thing in March. I did finally get my check a couple days ago, thank God! I have record of all communication with them, and receipts showing every dime I've paid, so I'm covered if the IRS contacts us.