Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
dherod

Lug Nuts Question

Hi - new to towing. Been reading the manuals and there seems to be a lot of emphasis on the TT lug nuts being tightened correctly. I've been driving a car for close to 40 years and never really worried about the lug nuts other than to make sure they were tight when I changed a flat.

Is all the emphasis due to legal issues (e.g. stop after 50 miles and make sure they are x foot pounds) - or is this really something about trailer towing that I need to pay attention to?

If so, I'll buy a torque wrench and follow the guidelines. Especially since I'm new at this - I want to make sure I do everything safely.

Thanks - Dan
dherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dherod View Post

Is all the emphasis due to legal issues (e.g. stop after 50 miles and make sure they are x foot pounds) - or is this really something about trailer towing that I need to pay attention to?

If so, I'll buy a torque wrench and follow the guidelines. Especially since I'm new at this - I want to make sure I do everything safely.

Thanks - Dan
Dan, The difference between a trailer and a car is the side-ward stress from turning a dual axle trailer. This is also why ST trailer tires are designed to handle more lateral movement or scrubbing than LT or P metric grade tires.
It is just a good practice to check wheels and tires before each trip and frequently during a long trip .... it avoids any surprises. I know it helps me relax a little more knowing everything on my rig is in good condition. ...... Now all I have to worry about is the other loose nuts behind the wheel driving around me.
Once you make it a routine it's easy, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Ruffus

Cool Torque wrench

Hi Dan
If you have a Harbor Freight near you in Westminster, they sell a really good one for a cheap price. I bought one several years ago and have it calibrated from time to time by friends in the aero space business and never have had it being out of calibration yet. Just my 2 cents worth.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Jim W

Dan,
I have three torque wrenches. One is in the garage (newest one), one is in my truck under the rear seat and a 15 year old beam style is in my trailer.
I torque my truck and car lug nuts every time I rotate tires on both of the vehicles. I have had friends break their wheel studs due to over tightening of the lug nuts. I do not let a tire changing store tighten the lug nuts with an air gun. I make sure they are hand tighten.
I also check the air pressure and lug nut torque on the trailer every time I take the trailer out for a camping trip. I also check the lug nut torque every 500 miles when we take long trips on vacation.
I am a retired engineer and I can be a little over cautious with some of this but it is better than having a tire fall off.

Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
dherod

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses. I do have a Harbor Freight very near me and will stop in soon. I also appreciate the explanation about how the sideward stresses are greater than what a car deals with. Nice to know.
dherod is offline   Reply With Quote