Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
catmama6

Cracked black tank

Well....Large Problem #2 with 4 month old 333MKS Cougar!
First the electrical panel had to be replaced, NOWWW Entire membrane under the front of the fifth wheel FULL of Black Water...Joy!
Waiting for Mobile repair, can't get anyone in the area to do Warranty work b/c we bought it 2 hrs away...Dealer told me to slit the membrane, let the water out & wait for mobile repair to see if there is a fitting loose or Worse..
Getting VERY disillusioned with our purchase of a Cougar...Love the floorplan, don't love the problems...Stay tuned...JRTJH where are you?
catmama6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
catmama6

Black tank leaking

I have NO idea...We are not traveling in it, it is parked in our front yard while we remodel our bathrooms...so now, No bathroom..Mobile unit on the way, but no one in our area will service under warranty B/C "We didn't buy it from them" Thank Goodness! our sanitation dumping company noticed it or we might not have until the smell announced it!!...I will keep you posted...just wondering if you've heard of the problem before. Once again, not a happy Cougar owner right now!
Old 04-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
HappyCamperMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmama6 View Post
but no one in our area will service under warranty B/C "We didn't buy it from them"
Can they do that.?.?

In the auto world, a warranty repair or recall will pretty universally be taken care of by any dealer. I certainly understand the buy local / build a relationship concept and am doing that myself, but if refused warranty service, I would never give that dealership any business in the future.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I haven't heard of your problem with any regularity, but when you think about the system, it's really very simple. There is a hole cut in the top with a fitting glued to it for the toilet to connect. On the other end is a hole cut in the side with a fitting glued to it for the dump valve to connect. There is a vent pipe out the top of the tank to the roof (it probably wouldn't be leaking) and there's a hole cut in the side for the black tank flush system. Other than that, the only "holes" are the sending units for the level gage. They are "screw-welded" into the tank and I've never heard of them leaking, especially leaking enough to fill the belly with waste. There's a chance that the factory installed a tank strap and screwed into the tank, but it should have started leaking when first used.

Unless one of the fittings came loose, the only other potential is a ruptured or split tank. I can't think of anything else that could be leaking. It's all a glued together closed system except for the vent stack which is glued on the bottom but open on the top.

Hopefully the maintenance crew will get it identified and repaired quickly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
catmama6

Unhappy Cracked black tank

Well...Mobile guy just left, We have a 5"long, 3/8" wide crack in our black tank where the toilet 2" pipe goes into the tank....So disheartened...
Purchasing dealership Owner & I were on the phone for 1/2 hr. I tried around here to get a keystone service dealer on the phone but they are all closed & We are not convinced that they will take care of us to the level we would like...This is a serious repair! $185 so far just for the Mobile guy...
Once again, love everything about the 333mks but the quality.
&&&&& the 5th wheel has only been on the road 3 times! back & forth between the dealer & our driveway??!!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
bobbecky

I know it's a pain, but looks like you need to make another trip with it, back to your original dealer if it is still under warranty. You also should call Keystone before doing anything else and get a case file started. They may be able to direct you to an authorized dealer that is willing to work on it if you have one closer. We were over a 1000 miles away from our selling dealer last year and was able to get the Camping World in Meridian, ID to make repairs to our black tank and replace a failed A/C unit under warranty. There are some really good dealers and repair people out there, just need to look.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote