Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
blay

caulk

The outside ports of the furnace on my camper is caulked around the plate and the original caulk started to split and crack so I recaulked it with a good outdoor30 year caulk. I come back two weeks later and the caulk has done the same thing. Now I find out that silicone is a nono. How can I clean this and seal it so it will not do the same thing.
blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by blay View Post
The outside ports of the furnace on my camper is caulked around the plate and the original caulk started to split and crack so I recaulked it with a good outdoor30 year caulk. I come back two weeks later and the caulk has done the same thing. Now I find out that silicone is a nono. How can I clean this and seal it so it will not do the same thing.
When they built the trailer, they used butyl putty tape about an inch wide and most of it is actually under the perimeter edge of the port. It's the same with most anything fastened to the exterior of the trailer. It is under the window frame edges, behind the tail lights and clearance lights, door frames, compartment frames and more.

If you can clean off the silicone completely, you can use a good butyl caulk for this kind of touch up.

Generally, if I find something that needs to be resealed, I pull off the item, remove all the old putty tape, clean everything up and apply all new butyl putty tape.

The rubber membrane roofing and anything attached to it does not use the butyl putty tape. Instead, they use Dicor caulk which is specially formulated for use on the rubber roofs. It comes in two forms: self-leveling and regular. If you look at all the horizontal caulking on the roof, it appears to have been flowed over things. That is the self leveling stuff.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
blay

Thanx for the quick reply.What can I use to clean the silicone and what is a good butyl caulk to use
blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by blay View Post
Thanx for the quick reply.What can I use to clean the silicone and what is a good butyl caulk to use
I'm not sure on cleaning the silicone.

But any decent brand name caulk should be fine as long as you get the butyl.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote