Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
mobile42

Question Anyone installed an aftermarket Exhaust Brake?

I want to install a exhaust brake and have been researching the internet. Can anyone offer their experience on an aftermarket. I've seen Banks, BD, Pacbrake, Jakes and others. What's good out there?
4000 Watt Champion Generator

2007 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS TT
2005 Flagstaff Forest River TT
mobile42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
Jim W

Hi,
I am a member of Turbo Diesel Register, and I believe a few others on this site are also. I did a search for you on the recommendations as to what exhaust brake is preferred. Most users are of the opinion that Pack Brake and the Jacob Brake are the best. Also my son is a co-owner in a diesel performance shop and he recommends Pack Brake to all of his customers. He will put on what ever they want, but if they ask for recommendations it would be for the Pack Brake.
In fact TDR quarterly magazine issue NO. 71, has a very good article on exhaust brakes for the Cummins 5.9L engine. I would recommend this to you too read. You can purchase a magazine from Geno's Garage.com if you are not a member of TDR.
If you like to join PM me and I will provide the information on how to join.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Johnnyfry

Exhaust brake

Being new at this I am looking also and have checked our most manufacturers on the web.

I have a 2006 Ram 3500 dually, automatic, Cummins. It has worked great but we have not yet gone into the mountains, that is coming this summer. I am hauling a Cougar 321SAB.

Jacobs claims that they are the only unit sold and installed by Dodge dealers and therefore authorized by the factory.

I called the local dealer and was quoted $1,600-$1,700 installed. I have not yet done it and am looking for more advice also.
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote