Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
schoenbm

Winterized 2011 Hideout

Recently bought a 2011 Hideout 31BHSWE. There's a sticker on the door that says it's been winterized. The underbelly has insulation and Im wondering if there is anymore "winterizing" the manufacturer has done that I don't know about. My wife and I are new to RV's and would like to prepare the RV better for the winter. Of course the owners manual is generic and doesn't lay out any specifics. Previous owner was fairly new to RV'ing too and only knew about the underbelly. Anyone who has dealt with Hideouts West models and can help, would greatly appreciate.
schoenbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
sagebel

I have the same exact trailer. Does the sticker say "Winterized" or "Cold Mountain Package"? I bought my trailer new and it was winterized meaning that it anti-freeze in the water lines and in the freshwater tank. Since the trailer is used I would guess that the anti-freeze has been drained. An easy way to tell is to look at the two water lines that hang down just to the left of the steps. These are the low point drains (one hot, one cold). If the water looks discolored (I think most RV anti-freezes are red or bluish) then it is winterized and you need to drain and flush the lines. There is also a similar line that sticks down towards the back of the trailer on the opposite side. This is the fresh water tank drain. Look for the same thing there.

The Cold Mountain Package just gives you the enclosed underbelly which helps keep things from freezing if you are using the trailer in sub-freezing weather.

Go ahead and feel free to ask as many questions as you need. The more you understand the less stressful camping will be and that's the whole point.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Schoenberg....
If you use the forum search feature, you will find information on winterizing your RV as well as numerous posts about Keystones Arctic/Polar/Glacier, etc packages.
Unfortunately, these packages are, in large part, very misleading. They will keep things from freezing provided certain other conditions are met. Your furnace must be running, for example for the very small amount of heat to reach the underbelly. Browse through the posts to find out about the others.
You can also Google search for steps on how to winterized an RV.
If you can't find what you need to know by doing a search, post your questions here.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
schoenbm

Sagebel

Have you been pleased with your Hideout? Ours says Winterized on the door.

Thanks for the info on the anti-freeze. I definitely need to flush the lines.

I'll do some looking around on the forum about more "winterizing" options. Didn't know about the search feature.

Thanks
schoenbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
sagebel

We are happy with it so far. We just pulled it from WA to NY to NM. No issues.

Post a picture of this sticker if you can.