Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
Flyguy

Battery Cutoff Switch Installation

It's always nice to have a simple way of removing the battery when in storage. I installed this switch purchased from Harbor Freight because it was cheap and heavy duty.

I first had to remove the handle and then drill a suitable hole with a hole saw to mount the switch. To remove the handle pry off the black center and use a small screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers. This is how it looks installed in the driver's side storage compartment. I used the switch held in place from the back to locate the mounting holes and drilled a pilot hole in the two locations using the switch as a drill guide and then used two self tapping screws to finish the install.

Next I switched the negative side of the battery (white wires) through the switch as is seen in this picture from the back.

I inclosed all of the wiring in plastic wire loom from the local auto parts store. In this picture you can also see the back of the landing gear switch which I also installed along with a 12v outlet all of which is protected from the weather in the storage compartment.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

You've been busy. Nice job with minimal cost ... I like that, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
Flyguy

Hank, it's not over yet. The DW is after me to install gas struts under the queen bed so that it will be easy for her to lift and use the under bed storage area. I've already put a flip up counter extension, a tip out drawer in front of the sink, and added the bi-fold stove top cover for her and I'm slowly collecting all the parts I need to update the suspension with the Trailair Equa-Flex equalizers that I already have.
Timbrens
Old 08-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

My DW tries to keep me out of trouble also. Her last "request" was to make the dining table free-standing. She says then she can pull it out of the slide to use it for her quilting. I guess if that is all it takes to make them happy, we are pretty lucky guys. Our Cougar has struts under the bed but I have been informed we need stronger ones since we upgraded the mattress. The never ending saga of an RVer, Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
kingji

Battery Switch

I've got a guestion Flyguy, it looks like the wire going to your switch is 12 or 10awg. My negative lead leaving my negative battery post and going to ground is like a 1/0 gauge. Was yours not like this? Can a smaller negative/ground be used going to the switch and back or is it better to stay with the larger wire? I've also got a couple of other wires terminated on the same ground screw. I think one is the front landing gear and the other heads south to the other end of camper. Did you also run these to the switch and back to to the ground screw?
JK
kingji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
Flyguy

I happened to have some #4 wire in white and that's what I used. I think that the existing wire was #6. I had to make one jumper with the #4 to go from one side of the switch to the negative side of the battery, that's the single wire that you can see in the picture on the switch. All other wires that were on the negative battery terminal were moved to the other terminal on the switch (negative side). The positive side of the battery terminal has the fused 30 amp lead from the landing gear leg motor and the fused 20 amp lead for the 12v outlets and the outside hitch light. Whatever wires there were on the negative terminal of the battery were moved to the switch and you can see that on the switch terminal with the multiple wires.
Timbrens
Old 08-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
kingji

Battery Switch

It sounds like the same routing on my camper. I guess the wires just looked smaller in the pictures. Thanks again,
JK
Old 08-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
Flyguy

I know what you mean! When I go to buy wire I ask for a certain size, the guy rolls off a few feet from the roll and I say "are you sure that's the correct size?" and then he says "it's stamped on the wire jacket" and then he tells me that todays wire has improved insulation which is thinner and makes the wire gauge look smaller. I'm sure that there's different kinds of insulation for different uses, I just buy household 120vac electrical wire and I think it's labeled THHN or something like that.
Timbrens
Old 08-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
kingji

Battery Cut-off Switch

I finished installing a cut off switch today. I was wrong about the negative wire leaving the battery and going to ground. My wire was also #6. Placed the switch in about the same place as Flyguy. The only only thing with power left on with the switch in the off position now is just the solar panel regulator. One more quick project now is to run trailer wiring from the front of the hitch to the rear of the camper for towing a small utitilty trailer. I started to tie into the rear lights of the camper but decided to keep all of that original and maybe prevent some problems in the future. Later
JK
Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
LKERRICK

Picture of installation.

Flyguy...Can we see a picture of the installed product? It looks your's have been removed. In particular the handle side? Thank you.
LKERRICK is offline   Reply With Quote