Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Scarpo

What is more comfortable Air bed or reg matt

I am buying a new camper, and I have a choice. Pull out couches with air mattress's or lazy boy pull out couch's with standard mattress. Which is more comfortable? It looks like the lazy boy mattress is thin.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Scarpo -
Would it be possible for you to have the sales rep inflate the air mattress in one of the units and test it out? Sounds like you may have already seen or tried the LazyBoy so a personal comparison can be made. Mattresses are pretty "personal" -- what one finds comfortable another will find the same one uncomfortable. When it comes to choosing a mattress, I wouldn't rely too heavily on the opinion of others to make up my mind. In this situation you can't beat a "self-test" to get the most reliable result.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
azlee56

we bought the lower end sleep number bed from camping world and finally I can say that it was a smart move. We finally slept in it for many days and it was comfortable. He could have his side his way and I can have mine just like I like it. I air it up often to keep the stuff stretched out and in good condition. We are getting one for our bedroom in the next week. This is a higher end then the RV, but I am excited and hope no more backaches!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

festus says not to rely too heavily. i am heavy i like air only because a water bed will screw up the load and cause some strange sway in the camper.Ha ha ha
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
mhs4771

An advantage with an air mattress, you can adjust the pressure vs the thin mattress in the Lazy Boy. But on the flip side you won't get an air leak in the Lazy boy mattress. We opted for a straight sofa with neither mattress or air mattress. Now for our King bed we have a Sleep Number.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

One issue not yet identified with the LazyBoy fold out bed is that "DA*N" bar that goes across the bed right at "underarm" position... With a thin mattress, that is murder to try to get any rest on at all. When we had one, we tried everything to reduce the PAIN of that bar, all to no avail.....

NOTE: Just in case someone may have been offended by "DA*N" the missing letter is R

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

Oh john i am offended by the dang darn:d:d happy thanksgiving!!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
msp2jxr

I have had both and find the air mattress more comfortable than the thin regular mattress. I believe the air mattress is light too...
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Outbackmel

Sofa and mattress

Our Outback 5er, came with 2 of the dumbest, most uncomfortable pieces of living area furniture ever, ever, thrown together. The stupid incliner chair is now in our attic. It was replaced with a La z boy wall hugger recliner. The sofa will be leaving soon. We have looked at jack knife replacements and they are horrible for adult guests to sleep on. Our sofa is air bed and that is the only time it IS comfortable, for sleeping. My wife constantly complains of the steel bar when trying to curl up and relax watching the big screen tv. Gotta go. Going to buy a non bed sofa and the few times we need an extra bed, it will be air mattress on the floor. Our model sleeps 6 in 2 separate bedrooms comfortably. We will not use the sofa for sleeping anyway.
Boy this camping is rough. Heat/air/ 3 tv's,
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpo View Post
I am buying a new camper, and I have a choice. Pull out couches with air mattress's or lazy boy pull out couch's with standard mattress. Which is more comfortable? It looks like the lazy boy mattress is thin.
Our experience is the air mattress is FAR FAR more comfortable than the normal couch mattress. Many folks have used ours and commented on how comfortable it is. And as a side benefit the air mattress units often have a big storage area under the couch since the mattres takes up much less space. Ours has been used extensively by either friends or kids when we take them camping and has peformed well. The only downside is that at least ours has a 120V air pump, not 12V so when dry camping it runs off our inverter.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
zuley

I thought I read somewhere that Keystone was dropping the air bed/ couch as they were having too many warranty issues with it. Correct me if I am wrong. I know the new unit we just ordered has the air bed/ couch. Won't get used for anything other than a couch so it is a non issue for us.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
PerryB

The air bed is the hands down winner for comfort. Unless you like the sensation of sleeping across a piece of pipe.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:22 AM   #13
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
Our experience is the air mattress is FAR FAR more comfortable than the normal couch mattress. Many folks have used ours and commented on how comfortable it is. And as a side benefit the air mattress units often have a big storage area under the couch since the mattres takes up much less space. Ours has been used extensively by either friends or kids when we take them camping and has peformed well. The only downside is that at least ours has a 120V air pump, not 12V so when dry camping it runs off our inverter.
Our Cougar has an air mattress sofa bed. The air pump is a little, self contained unit that is powered by 4 - "D" cell batteries. We were skeptical at first, but the pump works really well. Haven't slept on the couch yet, but the grandkids like it

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
curlyfungirl

We have a memory foam topper on the master bed. Our sofa bed is an air mattress and we will probably never use it ourselves. If anyone comes along for a free ride they will be sleeping on the sofa bed. I would think they would be grateful for a free place to rest their head and not complain if it isn't as comfy as their own.
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote