Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #81
Cyberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Wanderer View Post
In CT registration for my trailer is around $25/yr. Annual taxes is $768 this year. TV registration is $150/yr and taxes are $1075 this year. Total to stay on the road is $2018 without moving out of my driveway. I try not to think about it and just figure it is what it is.
I spent a continuous 5 months and 28 days working in CT this year. Having to get CT plates @ 6 months weighed heavily on my pushing to move to another job 19+ hours drive west.

I had a lot of fun in CT and dearly miss fishing for fluke in the sound, but don't miss the Merritt, 91, 95, or 84

The 19+ hour drive put me in Kansas City, where I bought my truck in January. Curious deal with out-of-state buyer in KS that the dealer's finance department had to add and send first year's title & registration $ to my home state in order to avoid paying KS tax, then mailed me my MT plates and a refund check for the residual balance of what they added to cover it.
Cyberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #82
the406life

I'm not sure how they figure out vehicle/trailer taxes and fees in Montana but we bought a new Hideout this spring and I think the cost to register it was about $350. But we register all trailers, motorcycles, off road vehicles, boats etc. permanently in Montana so I never really care what the cost is, I'll never have to pay it again unless I buy another one. I even pay the extra to license my cars and trucks permanently. It's worth it.
the406life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #83
Cyberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the406life View Post
I'm not sure how they figure out vehicle/trailer taxes and fees in Montana ...
https://dojmt.gov/driving/vehicle-ti...-registration/

Everything but the county option tax %-

Permanent registration @ 10 years is part of why I have 2 Dodge/Ram 2500s in my driveway. My '03 CTD is still worth significant $ as far as MT county option tax is concerned but I haven't had to pay to keep the plates current for 6 years. It's my wife's grocery getter and my heavy hauler when I need a flatbed or to pull big hills MT style.

I'm likely going to lose my butt on the '18 gasser that now has 22k miles on it in less than a year, but I got it so cheap that I'm not sweating it for a while. It may get traded off before it gets to the age of lifetime registration
Cyberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #84
LewisB

Ok, so I guess everyone else is just stupid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Gentlemen, you can all believe what you want, but I’m telling you that the law for RVs in NM is fine for any state. There is a reason it is very specific...

Again, there is a reason the law is specific to RVs. Anyone who wishes to pay the sales tax and registration fees that states such as AZ. CO, and CA make them pay is simply throwing their money away IMO. It’s your choice, but many have taken advantage of this and it is 100% legal. I’ll just leave it at that.

Those who Read this and wish to take advantage of it are free to do so, those who wish to remain skeptical and pay the higher taxes and registration fees in their home state are also free to do so.
While I'm not interested in an argument, I am concerned that a new reader might be enamored by mis-information. New Mexico law does NOT govern residents of Arizona while in Arizona. If you are a part time visitor, welcome to Arizona.

Arizona State law requires that you "obtain an Arizona vehicle registration and driver license, immediately if you remain in Arizona for a total of seven months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence." [There are some exceptions for students, military, etc. beyond the scope of this discussion.] RV's and travel trailers are considered vehicles. Arizona requires they be titled and registered in Arizona as stated.

While I don't like the high registration fees, I love Arizona and am smart enough to know that in the overall balance with lower tax rates, low income tax, etc. I will continue to want to live here.

When someone tries to convince you to break the law, you need to wonder...if it is too good to be true, it probably isn't....(just sayin').
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:43 AM   #85
captcolour

Here in KY we pay personal property tax as part of the registration. Registration fee is cheap; the PPT is not. In 2019, the Alpine cost $559 and the 2017 F-350 dually was $522.

On the flip side, I have a 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda that is worth more than either of these. It is registered as a historic vehicle. I paid $50 for plates that never expire, and I pay $0.63/yr in property tax.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #86
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
While I'm not interested in an argument, I am concerned that a new reader might be enamored by mis-information. New Mexico law does NOT govern residents of Arizona while in Arizona. If you are a part time visitor, welcome to Arizona.

Arizona State law requires that you "obtain an Arizona vehicle registration and driver license, immediately if you remain in Arizona for a total of seven months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence." [There are some exceptions for students, military, etc. beyond the scope of this discussion.] RV's and travel trailers are considered vehicles. Arizona requires they be titled and registered in Arizona as stated.

While I don't like the high registration fees, I love Arizona and am smart enough to know that in the overall balance with lower tax rates, low income tax, etc. I will continue to want to live here.

When someone tries to convince you to break the law, you need to wonder...if it is too good to be true, it probably isn't....(just sayin').
I’ve never said anyone was stupid. I also didn’t know anyone on here was an expert in state RV registration laws. Every RV dealer in NM uses the law to help their customers save money. If it was illegal, dealers from neighboring states would be raising flags all day long to make them stop. There are two dealerships 20 miles down the road 1/2 mile across the state line that are not happy about it, but can’t do anything to stop it. It has been questioned and checked by many people. Again, the law is an exception for RVs and RVs ONLY. Since you seem to think I’m advising people to break the law, as I said before, please provide an explanation why NM law allows people from other states to register ONLY RVs and not other vehicles. Obviously, there is a reason for the exception and the specific requirements laid out by NM law. Everyone who has stated this is not legal is assuming. I simply informed readers of an RV exception that is an option to them. If you choose not to take advantage of it, that is your choice, but don’t ASSUME that it is not legal just because you’re not familiar with it and you can’t do it with your car/truck. And please do not use your assumptions of the laws to accuse me of advising people to break the law.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:50 PM   #87
flybouy
Site Team

If you could site that statute it would dispel a lot of assumptions.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:47 PM   #88
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I included a link to the NM MVD procedures earlier. Some said it did not work for them. You can also google NM snowbird law and it will come up. It is under Chapter 15A of the New Mexico MVD procedures. Below is a copy paste. Note that vehicles other than RVs require bona fide NM address, RV just require a bona fide address, does not have to be NM. Basically, you cannot register anything without an address. Guess if your homeless your out of luck.

Registration of RVs by non-residents (§66-3-4(A)(1))

Contrary to our general rule, the applicant for registration of an RV is not required to be a New Mexico resident.

§66-3-4(A)(1) provides that all applications presented to the division shall contain (emphasis added):

for a vehicle other than a recreational vehicle, the name, bona fide New Mexico residence address and mail address of the owner or, if the owner is a firm, association or corporation, the name, bona fide New Mexico business address and mail address of the firm, association or corporation; and

for a recreational vehicle, the name, bona fide residence address and mail address of the owner and proof of delivery in New Mexico. (The applicant must actually take possession of the RV in New Mexico.)
Old 12-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #89
Northern Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Google: Florida license plate rate chart

For 2 year registration see Calculation Section 1
Northern Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #90
Bisjoe

My truck is over $800, due to a voter approved transit levy. The trailer, a 2017, is only costing us a bit over $100. No taxes, no inspections.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #91
ADQ K9

Trailer has a permanent reg for $105 Truck was $240 last time around for 2 years. Gets lower as it gets older. Certain vanity plates add more Breast cancer, Veteran etc. alowing one to donate to the cause.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:27 AM   #92
B-O-B'03

2013 F150 - $79.50 for the current tag
2014 22RBPR - $107.75 for the current tag, includes $30 for the Texas Parks specialty tag
The Mustangs (1999 GT & 2003 Cobra) are $76.25

No inspection required for the trailer now, since it is under the new 7500 GVW limit

My 6X10 utility trailer (2900 GVW) is $61.25, so everything is pretty close in price.

-Brian
Old 01-09-2020, 06:02 AM   #93
jimborokz

So, in NY where they tax anything that moves,(if it's stationary they prod it till it moves, then tax it) I'm paying $235 per year that runs 1/1 - 12/31. If you wait to renew till later in the year it is pro-rated quarterly. Since my usage runs Oct - May I need to renew in Nov for the whole year . But it looks like that is not as bad as some. You don't want to know my property taxes though.

Also NY makes you register anything that has been in the state for over 30 days. You can take it out of the state for 24 hrs and come back and start over though. Not sure how they monitor that. I had a friend move here from MI and went to register his tailor that had a lifetime registration in MI. They weren't sure how to handle it and told him to just keep his MI plates and enjoy it.
BTW I've stopped reading any posts with NM in it.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:05 AM   #94
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
BTW I've stopped reading any posts with NM in it.
My ex wife is from NY and says the same thing, but she still looks too.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #95
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post

Also NY makes you register anything that has been in the state for over 30 days. You can take it out of the state for 24 hrs and come back and start over though. Not sure how they monitor that. I had a friend move here from MI and went to register his tailor that had a lifetime registration in MI. They weren't sure how to handle it and told him to just keep his MI plates and enjoy it.
Hmmmm, sounds to me like they treat RVs different than autos....
Old 01-09-2020, 10:41 PM   #96
Ken / Claudia

I am an expert in licensing laws in Oregon, should be I have written hundreds if not thousands. Testified in court prosecuting likely hundreds of license law violations. The Oregon licensing vehicle law is long covering what is and what is not needed. the law ORS 803.325 is about OR residents buying a vehicle out of state and needing to register within 30 days.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote