Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
reubenray

1st RV & ! Trip Questions

After a year of reseaching we finally did it and signed the papers for our 1st RV which is a 2012 Cougar HC 291RLS. For our first trip in it (besides the PDI test night) we want to go somewhere along the Gulf Coast from Gulf Shores to around Destin. This would only be about 5 or 6 hours (300>400 miles) of driving away from our home.

The RV park could most likely be the deciding factor on where we actually want to stop at. Our trip will be at the end of May and will only be for 4 to 5 nights. We want to be as close as possible to the water. We are getting older, but we still like the beach/sun/water. Hopefully we can get something that is walking distance away from the beach. We also will be bringing our bikes so bike trails would be a definite plus.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I am searching, but word of mouth is better than advertising.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
fred

take a look at gulf waters rv resort in fort myers beach we stayed last year and more than likely going back in march. we go to beach at about 8 am to avoid traffic to get over bridge only draw back we found. also has a trolly to go to beach 50 cents each way avoids parking and traffic problems.
fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
camper 2010

Fort Pickens Campground in Gulf Island National Seashore. Walking distance to beach on both Gulf and bay side of island. Nice trails to ride bikes on, large trees to relax in the shade.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Not a comment on campgrounds but a caution about your remark about "bringing our bikes". I would encourage you to do a forum search on bikes and bike racks - especially anything to do with bumper bike racks. Some members have had very unpleasant experiences by mounting a rack on the standard and unreinforced bumper.
(Sorry for commenting on bike racks in a campground category! I shouldl know better!)
Old 01-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
jq1031

I believe I can help you here as I've camped in that area a few times. If you want to be right on the Gulf, there is a RV park in Destin called " On the Gulf Camping". They have sites that are literly on the beach at a price close to $100 pre night. That $ & all the sand that you will bring into the RV is a big negetive. In Gulf Shore AL., there is a state park with paved streets & sites & full hook ups called Gulf Shore State Park(check website), about $40 per night with a two week max stay, located across the street from the beach. A third spot is Grayton Beach State Park, located east of Destin about 10 miles. Here you want to request a site with full hookups near the entrance as the older section is thickly wooded and grass & dirt surface, whereas the front section is concrete & gravel (check there website). Grayton does have direct access to the gulf with it's own beach. Here you will spend about $32 per night (half for florida seniors) and get alot of bang for the buck. Anyone of the three is a good choice. My choice again would be either one of the state parks. Good luck....joe
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
reubenray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Not a comment on campgrounds but a caution about your remark about "bringing our bikes". I would encourage you to do a forum search on bikes and bike racks - especially anything to do with bumper bike racks. Some members have had very unpleasant experiences by mounting a rack on the standard and unreinforced bumper.
(Sorry for commenting on bike racks in a campground category! I shouldl know better!)
I will be getting a custom hitch receiver made and the bikes will actually be on a customized cargo tray to make sure they are secure. The hitch receiver will be welded to the frame and not on the bumper.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
reubenray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq1031 View Post
I believe I can help you here as I've camped in that area a few times. If you want to be right on the Gulf, there is a RV park in Destin called " On the Gulf Camping". They have sites that are literly on the beach at a price close to $100 pre night. That $ & all the sand that you will bring into the RV is a big negetive. In Gulf Shore AL., there is a state park with paved streets & sites & full hock ups called Gulf Shore State Park(check website), about $40 per night with a two week max stay, located across the street from the beach. A third spot is Grayton Beach State Park, located east of Destin about 10 miles. Here you want to request a site with full hookups near the entrance as the older section is thickly wooded and grass & dirt surface, whereas the front section is concrete & gravel (check there website). Grayton does have direct access to the gulf with it's own beach. Here you will spend about $32 per night (half for florida seniors) and get alot of bang for the buck. Anyone of the three is a good choice. My choice again would be either one of the state parks. Good luck....joe
Do the state park have full facilities - cable, electric, sewer, wi-fi, etc.? I started looking at these first, but I was concerned that they would not have full facilities.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
jq1031

Both state parks have full hook ups (30&50 amp electric, sewer & water) at most of the sites. Grayton had no wifi or cable however the bat wing antenna brought in a bunch of stations. Gulf shore I don't recall as it was a few years ago. Also, as for bike riding both parks are perfect for that. I'm quite fussy where I park my trailer as I don't like mud & dirt outside my door step. At Grayton we selected site 52, it's all concrete & quite large, although it's a handicap site, you do not need a handicap sigh to use it & it's right next to the laundermat. Being there 10 days that was a big help.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
jje1960

Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I will be getting a custom hitch receiver made and the bikes will actually be on a customized cargo tray to make sure they are secure. The hitch receiver will be welded to the frame and not on the bumper.
Awesome, you have done this right.... just too many stories of bumpers ripping off the backs of units have been posted on forums! Have a great trip!
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

RubenRay, Be careful about welding your hitch/platform to the new trailer until you've made sure there are no frame issues. The warranty, whether any of us like it or not, clearly says any modification to the RV will void the warranty. We wanted/needed a hitch on the back of our fifth wheel, but waited until the warranty was over before we modified the RV by adding a hitch receiver to the back. Not saying don't do it, but I'd urge you to make sure the trailer is in good shape with no issues before any mods. There's a thread going right now about axle/brake problems. Imagine the "advantageous position" that could give Keystone if the owner had welded something on the back of his RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
steamfitter78

Camping on the Gulf rv park, destin fl. nice place with pools and the beach right there you can stay in paved sites witch is better then in the sand but it is a priviate beach. have a fun and safe trip....Happy Camping!
steamfitter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
Outbackmel

Destin suggestion

We had GREAT luck at Geronimo RV Resort in Destin. stayed a week. $$ saved paid all our meals. Very clean grounds. You can find excellent feedback by going to www.campgroundreviews.com and seeking info on the camping area you have in mind. Like anything else, consider the majority of comments to your lifestyle. Disregard the highs and low ratings and figure average is what you will be getting.

You can easily use your bicycles and be at the beach in 5 minutes. We are in our mid/late 60's and have a 38 yr old handicapped son who travels with us. No problems on bikes in the area.

Also, just do your research on the FL state parks. Many do not have sewer available so you have to use the shower houses if you plan to stay. second, the "discount" for seniors is STRICTLY enforced. You MUST be a resident of FL and they have specific docs you MUST SHOW or not get the rate. PERIOD.
I OWN, free and clear, property in FL, BUT, because we are not "residents" regardless that we are senior citizens and have paid FL property taxes for 25 years, no exceptions.

Sand is wonderful, but remember when the wind blows, you may be less pleased. Just some thoughts. Destin is hard to beat. Love to visit there.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote