Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2017, 06:27 AM   #1
hdrolling

Myrtle Beach, SC KOA traffic tips?

We have booked our July camping trip at the KOA in Myrtle Beach, it's only a little over 2hrs from us.

We go to the beach often and one thing is always the same, the traffic is horrible getting into Myrtle on the weekends in the summer.

This is the first time we will be towing or 38' fifth wheel to Myrtle and I'm looking for the easiest route into the KOA from members that have been there.

Normally I'm on my Harley or in my wife's grand cherokee and it's still a pain, so I'm looking for any tips now so I can be ready for the drive down.

I'll also be riding my bike down two or three times before our camping trip and will do some route recons, so what roads should I avoid or stay with?

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:02 AM   #2
TravlinOn

The worst times for 501 from Conway to MB used to be at the times for checkin/out for the Motels/Beach Houses, but now it is almost impossible to find a good time along that route.

We usually take the SC 544east route off of 501 towards Socastee and stay on it to Bus17, then go north to KOA. Again, time of day is important but the lines at lights are usually much shorter than on 501.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:21 AM   #3
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinOn View Post
The worst times for 501 from Conway to MB used to be at the times for checkin/out for the Motels/Beach Houses, but now it is almost impossible to find a good time along that route.

We usually take the SC 544east route off of 501 towards Socastee and stay on it to Bus17, then go north to KOA. Again, time of day is important but the lines at lights are usually much shorter than on 501.
Thanks, Ill check that out. I guess I should have mentioned I booked the check in date on a Sun and leave on a Sun, hopefully I'll see more traffic leaving than coming in when I first get there.

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 01-22-2017, 06:54 AM   #4
CaptnJohn

We live just across the line in NC. Very short drive to Myrtle. Rarely go there in the offseason and never in summer. I'd suggest Myrtle Beach Travel Park next time and come in on Rt 9.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
We live just across the line in NC. Very short drive to Myrtle. Rarely go there in the offseason and never in summer. I'd suggest Myrtle Beach Travel Park next time and come in on Rt 9.
Thanks I'll check them out, we have a group of campers that are going to be at the KOA so we wanted to be in the same park.

I normally only go for the two bikes weeks each year unless we bring the kids to the aquarium. I prefer heading to the mountains but we are camping in Tn in June and thought since we had friends going to Myrtle we would give the beach a shot for July, normally I would have looked around the Wilmington area if it was just us going.

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 01-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #6
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
Thanks I'll check them out, we have a group of campers that are going to be at the KOA so we wanted to be in the same park.

I normally only go for the two bikes weeks each year unless we bring the kids to the aquarium. I prefer heading to the mountains but we are camping in Tn in June and thought since we had friends going to Myrtle we would give the beach a shot for July, normally I would have looked around the Wilmington area if it was just us going.
I live almost half way between Myrtle and Wilmington. We rarely 'camp', but find an area of interest and explore. So, we have not camped in local CGs in a long time. I did stop in at Brunswick Beaches CG for supplies and saw nicely wooded sites that seemed good size. That would be about 45 minutes from Wilmington, 20 minutes to North Myrtle, and 10 minutes or less to both Sunset Beach and Ocean Isle Beach. Seemed interested as NOT IN anything but close to everything. I'll know this fall as friends will be visiting and staying there ~~ they only stay in Good Sam CGs.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:39 AM   #7
hdrolling

Just to update, we used the SC 544east route off of 501 towards Socastee and stay on it to Bus17, then go north to KOA route during our week vacation and it worked very well for us.

Thanks for tip.

Retired Army, 22yrs