Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2017, 04:38 AM   #1
SummitPond

Does Power Jack work off TV battery alone?

My converter is fried and trailer battery is dead.

Will the power jack work off of the TV battery when the pigtail is plugged in?

Or could I use one of those battery back-up jumper devices and hook it up to the trailer battery leads and power it that way?

I'm taking the trailer in for service on Monday and wonder if I will need to hand crank the frame onto the hitch.

Thanks.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:48 AM   #2
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShacterShack View Post
My converter is fried and trailer battery is dead.

Will the power jack work off of the TV battery when the pigtail is plugged in?

Or could I use one of those battery back-up jumper devices and hook it up to the trailer battery leads and power it that way?

I'm taking the trailer in for service on Monday and wonder if I will need to hand crank the frame onto the hitch.

Thanks.
I guess you can give it a try! . I'm pretty sure a jump box would do it too. Mine came with a plug that plugs into the TV. I added a receptacle to the TT, so I I can plug the power jack on either unit.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:53 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

As long as the charge lead is live then your TV will supply power to the jack. I would leave the engine running.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:18 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

^^What Chuckster said. I've had to do this a couple of times. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:43 AM   #5
SummitPond

Thank you all.

I'll give it a go!

Sodfather, could (or did) you post details/pics of that mod? I didn't see it on my initial search. Thanks.

2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
Old 07-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
the sodfather

Quote:
Thank you all.

I'll give it a go!

Sodfather, could (or did) you post details/pics of that mod? I didn't see it on my initial search. Thanks.
Here ya go!

The one on the left is the jack. The one on the right is dead. When I store my TT, I plug the umbilical cord into it so it's not just "hanging out there"...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	13377  
Old 07-16-2017, 05:01 AM   #7
SummitPond

Sodfather, thank you.

Please help me understand the photo. My setup is different than yours. What is the box on the left that the cables are plugged into? I don't have anything like that. My setup looks like the attached photo. Nothing plugs in. This is on the driver's side of the tongue frame; the battery sits on the right of the photo. The power jack is in front of the LP tanks (which are in front of the battery).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sIMG_6759L.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	13381  

Old 07-16-2017, 06:50 PM   #8
the sodfather

Quote:
Sodfather, thank you.

Please help me understand the photo. My setup is different than yours. What is the box on the left that the cables are plugged into? I don't have anything like that. My setup looks like the attached photo. Nothing plugs in. This is on the driver's side of the tongue frame; the battery sits on the right of the photo. The power jack is in front of the LP tanks (which are in front of the battery).
The battery is the box to the left. The 2 recepticles I installed (purchased at Northern Tool). The left one only has a 12v lead and a ground to it. If I recall its position 3 is 12v and 6 is ground. It just runs the jack from the TT battery. Or I can plug it into the TV and use that power. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll run by and snap a better over-head photo.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:29 AM   #9
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sodfather View Post
The battery is the box to the left. The 2 recepticles I installed (purchased at Northern Tool)... If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll run by and snap a better over-head photo.

Thank you. I'll check their catalog also to see what I can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #10
Carrottop

I have the same setup as you on my Passport. My kids were using my TT for a week dry camping with just a 80 watt solar panel and the battery did not have enough juice to bring in the slide or power the tongue jack. I hooked up my DeWalt battery pack to the trailer battery and it was more than enough to bring the slide in and move the tongue up and down enough for me to attach my sway control bars and hook up my truck.
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #11
the sodfather

Quote:
Thank you. I'll check their catalog also to see what I can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here is a better pic. Maybe...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	13403  
Old 07-18-2017, 05:01 AM   #12
SummitPond

Sodfather

Thank you. That view is much better.

I checked the on-line Northern Tool catalog with searches for battery and electrical and did not see anything that looked applicable.

What is the name I should look for?

I took the trailer in yesterday for service; the power jack worked just fine plugged into the truck. I left the engine running as suggested by Chuckster.

We drove around the town (about 36 mile drive from where we are staying) and did some sightseeing on the way home. An hour later we received a phone call - the trailer is ready for pick up! Amazingly fast. We'll go get it later today. I asked a few questions of the service rep who called (basically, was anything else checked to ensure it wasn't fried) but they didn't know the answer. I'll hopefully be able to talk with the tech who did the work when we pick up the unit.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #13
the sodfather

Quote:
Sodfather

Thank you. That view is much better.

I checked the on-line Northern Tool catalog with searches for battery and electrical and did not see anything that looked applicable.

What is the name I should look for?

I took the trailer in yesterday for service; the power jack worked just fine plugged into the truck. I left the engine running as suggested by Chuckster.

We drove around the town (about 36 mile drive from where we are staying) and did some sightseeing on the way home. An hour later we received a phone call - the trailer is ready for pick up! Amazingly fast. We'll go get it later today. I asked a few questions of the service rep who called (basically, was anything else checked to ensure it wasn't fried) but they didn't know the answer. I'll hopefully be able to talk with the tech who did the work when we pick up the unit.
Interesting. I just checked the HF web site and nothing. But I did buy it there so... Anyway, its the Hopkins brand like this...http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/products/vehicle

I know Auto Zone has them as well. I had a HF gift card...
Old 07-19-2017, 04:42 AM   #14
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sodfather View Post
... its the Hopkins brand like this...http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/products/vehicle ...
Sodfather, I think the link is missing something; it gave me an "Ooooops - Page Not Found"! But now that I know that HF has it and it is Hopkins brand, I'll search their page to see what I can find.

Thank you again.

Tags
battery, power