Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2016, 03:39 AM   #1
jeff57

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Since camping season is almost upon us (finally...here in Minnesota) I'm looking to purchase a Tire Pressure Monitoring System for my camper and would really like to hear what others have used/experienced rather than the sales pitches you see on-line. Could those that have one of these systems please provide some feedback (positive or negative) or recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Previous: 2014 F150 SCrew 4x4 w/3.5 EcoBoost; 2014 Laredo 274RB

jeff57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:06 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Jeff -
Try using our forum's search feature to find out what TPMS our members have purchased and their comments and recommendations about them. Just type in TPMS, or Tire Pressure Monitoring System and you'll find numerous posts/threads about this topic.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
chris199

Have been using Truck Ststems tpms on our TT and upgraded/updated for our fifth wheel. Customer service has been very, very good!

Highly recommend them.

http://tsttruck.com/

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
slow

Also buy the repeater for peace of mind no matter which system you end up buying. I have the tst 507 and have no complaints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:07 AM   #5
bsmith0404

The search function will give you a lot of reading on the different systems. The only thing I will add here, which you will also find on other threads, is to get the flow through sensors and put steel valve stems on your wheels. Even the sensors that state they do not need steel valve stems do. Many people before you have tried using rubber stems and failed, learn from our mistakes.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:18 AM   #6
jtyphoid

TST now has internal band mount sensors that are compatible with their 507 system. I don't think that they are listed on their web site yet, so you'll need to call them for more information.

I have their earlier valve stem mounted internal sensors on my TV that have not worked out very well (3 failed in less than one year), and they just sent me a complete set of the band mount replacements under warranty. Their customer service is very good.

When they worked, I really like the internal sensors over even the flow through sensors. Yes, you need to tear a tire down to get to the sensor, but they don't restrict the air flow like the flow through and they give more accurate temperature readings and no stress on the valve stems.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:39 AM   #7
CWSWine

TST is coming out with a new model address some of the short comings of the current system and also has a color screen so I would wait till it is released before I would buy.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
audio1der

We also have the TST507 w/repeater setup. Wish I had popped for the flow-through sensors but otherwise I would buy all over again. VERY impressed with their customer service and shipping policies to Canada (which is sometimes a deal breaker from vendors)
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:26 PM   #9
Way Of Life

For those that have purchased the TST507 system along with the repeater.

Where have you mounted the repeater?
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:40 PM   #10
audio1der

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Of Life View Post
For those that have purchased the TST507 system along with the repeater.

Where have you mounted the repeater?
I wired it directly to the batteries, and zip-tied the unit to the rear of the battery tray. TST shipped the repeater to me (in Canada) for free just like they did the 507 system. Works like a charm.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:08 AM   #11
swanson

Keeping track of this one. Looking in it a system also.
swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I guess I've got a question on the TST 507 system as well as the other valve stem systems.

I bought a new TST 507 system for the trailer and was waiting until I had time to have steel valve stems installed to put them on. Well, the new tires and opportunity for the new stems came last week when I had to replace all of my tires. I told the service manager to install new steel stems so I could put in the TST system. He just flat said "don't". He advised they had lots and lots of folks bringing trailers in because the unit on the stem leaked; the O rings wouldn't last etc. He also said that new rubber stems would serve me much better. He suggested the in tire TPMS units but I didn't have time to research them or order them before the tires were installed. Now, I'm back to rubber stems and a new TST system sitting in a box under my bookshelf.

Have any of you with the TPMS mounted on the valve stems experienced issues with them? If so, maybe this came out OK. If not, I'll either have to have the wheels/tires pulled when I get back for new stems and install the TST system, sell it or use it as an ornament in the bookshelf
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #13
CWSWine

I've got about 4,000 miles on mine with steel stems and haven't had a problem. My Montana came with steel stems from the factory.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:04 PM   #14
Ken / Claudia

CW the man posted sats on what different valve stems are made to hold. Lowest was the all rubber than brass core with rubber and most psi was metal. I had installed at time of tire sale from a tire dealer rubber valves only made for max psi 65 and I was running 80 psi. That caused 2 tire blow outs as the valve base split at highway speeds. Since I put metal on work boat trailers, work truck, my truck and boat and TT. So, far none have leaked as in a failure. All seem to loose a few psi after sitting for a while no matter what type of stem. I do not know what psi your running but, worth checking out. That post was last year?
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #15
slow

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
.............I told the service manager to install new steel stems so I could put in the TST system. He just flat said "don't". He advised they had lots and lots of folks bringing trailers in because the unit on the stem leaked; the O rings wouldn't last etc........o

I purchased a number of different steel valve stems prior to installing my TPMS last year. The only metal valve stem I had confidence in was the Ford version that I installed. About 10,000 miles later there is no evidence of leaking or any other issues. (Only dropped 2 psi over the winter.)

The Ford version inserts from inside and has the nut on the outside. The seal compression on the inside of the wheel, is controlled by the shape of the stem. Where as the others had a nut that installed inside the wheel with no compression control. So you are at the mercy of the installer torquing the nut correctly , not too loose to leak or too tight to damage the seal.

IMO, running a sensor on a rubber covered brass valve stem is not a good idea since the stem can "rock" relative to the wheel. Trouble waiting to happen. The same is true with metal valve stems that have a seal on both sides of the wheel.

I purchased the N-1600 Ford F Series Truck Valves HAN1600 from Your TireShop Supply http://yourtireshopsupply.com/produc...-valve-han1600
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #16
audio1der

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I guess I've got a question on the TST 507 system as well as the other valve stem systems.

I bought a new TST 507 system for the trailer and was waiting until I had time to have steel valve stems installed to put them on. Well, the new tires and opportunity for the new stems came last week when I had to replace all of my tires. I told the service manager to install new steel stems so I could put in the TST system. He just flat said "don't". He advised they had lots and lots of folks bringing trailers in because the unit on the stem leaked; the O rings wouldn't last etc. He also said that new rubber stems would serve me much better. He suggested the in tire TPMS units but I didn't have time to research them or order them before the tires were installed. Now, I'm back to rubber stems and a new TST system sitting in a box under my bookshelf.

Have any of you with the TPMS mounted on the valve stems experienced issues with them? If so, maybe this came out OK. If not, I'll either have to have the wheels/tires pulled when I get back for new stems and install the TST system, sell it or use it as an ornament in the bookshelf
I also asked for steel valve stems when I had out Kumhos mounted and they suggested "HD" rubber stems instead. I'm still not sure about the "HD" part but I've not had an issue with either part.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:40 AM   #17
jsmith948

We bought our E rated Maxxis at Discount tire. They didn't have any metal stems but did have 'high pressure' rubber stems. Later, we purchased the Tire Traker TPMS at the Quartzsite RV show. The sales rep assured us that we could put the sensors on the rubber stems. This worked o.k. for about 3500 miles until, while checking air pressure I found a valve stem that would leak whenever any side pressure was applied. Had new metal valve stems installed - the tire guy said the sensors had caused the valve stems to move back and forth and the stems were beginning to crack. Have not had any issues with the metal stems with the exception of one that needed to be snugged up. Don't put your sensors on rubber stems.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote