Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2016, 04:46 PM   #1
gearhead

Poor folks

Me and the DW went to check on the farm (pine trees) this afternoon. It's about an hour away. Halfway back home on US HWY 90, a divided 4 lane, I saw a 5th sitting in the crossover/turn lane. Looked like a tire issue. I turned around and checked on them. Voltage toyhauler, Ram dually. Front curbside blew out and tore the fender skirt off. Poor folks were on their way home to Houston from Tampa. Just had 2 blowouts today in Lake Charles, LA. A road service truck just happened upon them and they eventually got 2 new tires installed on the road side. A 10 ply Sailun model I never heard of. They were running Goodyear Marathons LR E. They had 8 lug wheels, I suggested they may look into Sailun S637 LR G. They had it under control and wouldn't let me help. Glad it wasn't me.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:41 PM   #2
denverpilot

I always try to stop and help in those scenarios too... It's just a sucky way to end or start any trip.

Glad they had it under control.

When I lost my fuel pump on the Cummins on a main drag in a small town in Nebraska, that was a bad feeling. I knew what it was. And sitting there dead in the water blocking a traffic lane with 50'+ of truck and trailer while you wait for the tow truck, just sucks.

We do hear the "two blowouts" story pretty often.

It seems that one blowout on a weak set of tires then puts all the weight of that side of the fiver on the remaining questionable tire, often also overloading it beyond the intended load rating, and it goes not that long after its "friend".
Old 05-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
gearhead

Yeah to regurgitate some corporate lingo, all the holes in their cheese lined up, unfortunately.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #4
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
I always try to stop and help in those scenarios too... It's just a sucky way to end or start any trip.

It seems that one blowout on a weak set of tires then puts all the weight of that side of the fiver on the remaining questionable tire, often also overloading it beyond the intended load rating, and it goes not that long after its "friend".
On airliners if a tire is found to be below a certain pressure on a daily check, the opposite tire must be changed also. On a trailer you might lose a wheelwell, but on a heavy jet you can lose the airplane if one blows on the takeoff roll and a resulting wheelwell fire ensues. These tires seem to be fragile enough without inducing additional stresses.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

Last week I seen the first rv of the season with 2 flats on the interstate on my way to work.. Driver side front tire in pieces, rear just flat. I talked with the responding trooper later. He said driver had folks honk and point back at trailer as they passed him a few miles back and waited to get to a better place before stopping. Heard a pop, driver drove to shoulder asap and found what I seen. Unknown what damage to trailer was. So, was the tire low, coming apart or what we do not know. Same old thing though, if one goes the other likely will also.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote