Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2016, 04:26 AM   #41
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
Bought the one step chocks because they seem to be easier to use than the X-Chocks and from what I have been hearing, the Chocks will only help with fore and aft movement, IF installed properly. I will try them in two weeks when we begin our trip (taking a 10-11 day trip to Florida with many stops along the way).

Also bought one set of the BAL Lock-Arm stabilizers. I put both arms on the rear in the side to side position (as opposed to one side by side and one fore and aft). I lowered the stabilizing jacks and with the arms unlocked, I could easily rock the trailer with just one hand. Then I locked the bars and tried to rock the trailer, pushed with both arms and leaned against it, I couldn't see hardly any movement. I will take pictures later (left before I thought of it) and post.

I'll give a full report when we make our trip but so far, for $75 a set and about 30 minutes time to install, I don't know why everyone isn't putting a set of stabilizer bars on their rig.

I chose the BAL stabilizers just because of the cost, you can buy one set of two bars for about $75 then add more later if you want. The SteadyFast and the Lippert appear to be more expensive at about $250, but they are both a set of 3, 6 bars each, so the cost is actually about the same. It's all about what you prefer, but they all do the same thing. I would highly recommend useing stabilizer bars as they WILL stabilize your rig.

Which BAL setup did you purchase and where? I think I might be interested in these as well...
Old 03-14-2016, 05:23 AM   #42
Mike484

I bought the BAL Lock-Arm bars, simply because I could buy just one set rather than having to purchase the entire three set system.

The Lippert looks almost identical, the SteadyFast looks to be a bit beefier. I didnt need the beefier because I have a light weight trailer (5500#s dry weight) but if you have a much larger rig, beefier would probably be better for you.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tabilizer+bars

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #43
esmoglo

I have a set of the X-Chock and I don't think they work all that well nice idea but no effective.

Valterra RV Stabilizer's looks good I have seen noting but good reviews anyone using these?
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #44
Mike484

Valterra RV Stabilizer's looks good I have seen noting but good reviews anyone using these?[/QUOTE]

Looks like the same cost as a set of the BAL Lock-Arms. Since the BAL is always installed, all you have to do it lock and unlock them, I would prefer the BAL, no setup time involved, no having to stow them away, and no question if they work or not.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 03-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #45
esmoglo

Quote:
Valterra RV Stabilizer's looks good I have seen noting but good reviews anyone using these?
Looks like the same cost as a set of the BAL Lock-Arms. Since the BAL is always installed, all you have to do it lock and unlock them, I would prefer the BAL, no setup time involved, no having to stow them away, and no question if they work or not.[/QUOTE]

BAL Lock-Arms do you need to drill them in?
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #46
Mike484

The frame bracket comes with self tapping screws, I just screwed them in with my drill. The other end just uses the existing bolt on the stabilizer jack foot but, you will probably have to get a bolt about 1/2" longer. Mine were 5/16" X 2" and I changed them with a 2 1/2" bolt. Get nylock nuts and washers too, my original bolt had a different thread count so I couldn't use the same nut.

Now I wish I would have taken pictures before I left.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 03-15-2016, 04:27 AM   #47
{tpc}

Quote:
I bought the BAL Lock-Arm bars, simply because I could buy just one set rather than having to purchase the entire three set system.

The Lippert looks almost identical, the SteadyFast looks to be a bit beefier. I didnt need the beefier because I have a light weight trailer (5500#s dry weight) but if you have a much larger rig, beefier would probably be better for you.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tabilizer+bars
Thanks for the info! My trailer is a bit smaller than yours, so I think it would work out well.

The "set" comes with 2 arms. Did you apply this across the front or the rear? Or did you put one on the front on one side, and one of the rear on the other side?

One side of my brain wants to say put one arm on the front on one side and one on the back on the other side. But then the other side of my brain says the front is kinda stabilized a little better with the tongue jack already being there.

I suppose one could buy 2 sets and just put front and back.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:14 AM   #48
Mike484

I put both of them on the far back in the side to side position. They were so easy to install and the results were so good, that I am going to buy another set. The second set I will put one on one side of the back for the fore and aft position. The other bar I will put in the front, probably fore and aft also. One side of the frame in the back has the gas line running under it for the bumper mounted gas grill, can probably do without one there. The front stabilizing jacks are so far back that there is no place for the side by side intallation so fore and aft will probably be my only option. I'm in the same school of thought about the tongue jack taking up a lot of the slack and that most of the movement is in the back, which I now have stabilized.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500