Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
C130

Spare Tire Replacement

Probably a dumb question but we are leaving on a 3 week trip in a week. Current tires on my toy hauler are the Michelin XPS Ribs which are around a year and a half old. Spare tire is the original and has never been used. Would you guys suggest replacing the spare tire with the XPS Rib? I just hate spending over $250 for a tire that hopefully never gets used. If I had a blowout I'd obviously replace the blown tire with the Michelin but wondering what most guys use for their spares.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
Desert185

If its the same size, holds air and doesn't have sidewall cracks, I wouldn't worry about it.

Next time you get tires, save one of the takeoffs and use it for a spare. More mileage, but probably not bald (I hope) and a fresher carcass.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
If its the same size, holds air and doesn't have sidewall cracks, I wouldn't worry about it.

Next time you get tires, save one of the takeoffs and use it for a spare. More mileage, but probably not bald (I hope) and a fresher carcass.
Thanks, I'm going to check it out real good this week and see how it looks. I need to check the size also and make sure it's the same.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
jtyphoid

I go by age. If the spare is over 7 years old, I replace it.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:42 AM   #5
notanlines

I always keep in mind that the spare is just that, the spare. If we have a flat/blowout, the spare goes on, we drive/tow to a tire shop and the original is replaced and the spare goes back under the trailer. I want the spare to serviceable, but not first class like the four on the road.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:05 AM   #6
zuley

And something else to consider in regards to your spare... Direct sun is one of the reasons for sidewalls cracking. Your spare has been hanging on the back of your RV with hopefully a vinyl cover/ protector over it therefore not seeing the light of day on the sidewalls. I've seen it written that when replacing the tires on your RV you should always replace the spare as well. With all due respect I'm not sure I buy into that thinking if in fact the spare has been under wraps for its entire life. My thoughts.
One very important thing I do last before heading out on any trip is to check the air pressure in all 4 tires as well as the spare.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:42 AM   #7
bsmith0404

I do the same thing with the spare on my truck and RV. When I buy new tires, the best of the old ones replaces the spare. On the RV I replace tire about every 3.5-4 yrs. That make the spare a max of 8 yrs old (if I keep it that long). That is on the upper side of a tire's life, but there isn't any sidewall degradation from weight and my spare hangs underneath out of the sun (same as the truck). Plus, as already mentioned, it is only a spare to get me to the next tire shop. I will admit the last time I changed them on the TV I didn't change the spare. it was still in great shape and the same tire as the new (Michelin LTX M/S2). I just checked it the other day and it's getting some sidewall cracks, so it will get replaced with the next set. Of course, I change tires about once a year on the TV, so they don't get much of a chance to get old.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:58 AM   #8
C130

My current spare is underneath the toy hauler and I keep it stored in a fuy enclosed storage unit so it's never really been exposed to the sun. That's one reason I'm hesitant to put a $250 tire on as a spare. If I have to change a tire while traveling I plan on replacing the bad tire ASAP anyways.

Now I'm thinking the Michelins were a slightly larger size so that might be an issue. I'm going to get the toy hauler Tuesday so I'll check. If it's a different size I may try and buy a cheaper tire as the spare.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:05 AM   #9
bsmith0404

A slightly different size wouldn't cause a problem on a trailer. Each wheel spins independently so the gears aren't trying to catch up like in your car. It MAY cause a little weight distribution change based on how the tires load with one being slightly smaller, but I doubt it'd be much, especially for short distances until you can replace it. I wouldn't change it just for that reason. You may be able to find a good used tire somewhere for $30-40 instead of $250 for a new one, just check the manufacture date.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:36 PM   #10
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
A slightly different size wouldn't cause a problem on a trailer. Each wheel spins independently so the gears aren't trying to catch up like in your car. It MAY cause a little weight distribution change based on how the tires load with one being slightly smaller, but I doubt it'd be much, especially for short distances until you can replace it. I wouldn't change it just for that reason. You may be able to find a good used tire somewhere for $30-40 instead of $250 for a new one, just check the manufacture date.
Great, I wasn't for sure about the size difference so appreciate the information.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:34 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Check the height of the spare. The Ribs are probably higher than the ST tire and do not squat as much. I would be concerned with the way the different types of tires react in tight turns. As mentioned, I would try to find a good used tire of the same size and structure. JMHO, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #12
CWtheMan

When the trailer manufacturer provides a spare with the vehicle it will be identified on the certification label. If it is not listed there as a temporary tire it must be the same size, design and load capacity as all other tires provided as OE.

That’s what the manufacturer must do. Temporary tires are allowed on all vehicles as spares so I see no reason not to use a tire with sufficient load capacity as a means to get to a tire shop for a proper replacement.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote