Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
ancha71

Campgrounds Near Munising Michigan??

I'm looking for campgrounds near Munising,Michigan that can handle a 38 foot 5th wheel. Want to visit Pictured Rock NP and Marquette areas this Fall.
ancha71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Munising Tourist Park, (906) 387-3145, E8518 W M-28 West, Munising, Michigan 49862 https://munisingtouristpark.com/ There are spaces right on Lake Superior (15' from the beach) with full hookups, but without reservations, they are very hard to get. The campground is just west of Munising, about 3 miles from the boat dock for the shipwreck and Pictured Rocks boat cruises. Don't forget to go to Muldoon's Pasties for lunch and the Apple Pastie is "to die for" as dessert.

Marquette Tourist Park, (906) 228 0465, Sugarloaf Ave, Marquette, MI 49855 http://www.mqtcty.org/parks-tourist.php Tourist Park has spaces with 30/50 amps and many are long enough to handle a 40' RV. Don't forget your water regulator, the water pressure there is "high enough to cause damage" !!!!!
There are other campgrounds further west of Marquette, but they aren't as convenient as the Tourist Park.

Use caution if you consider Gitchee Goomee Campground on M28. There are a number of negative reviews. Do your research before making reservations there......http://www.gitchegumeepark.com/home.html

Have fun, We are in and out of the UP all summer long. If you need any information, post here or send me a PM.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
ancha71

John, Thank you for the information. This looks like the perfect place to camp and serve as a base camp for catching all the sights up there. DW and I are now figuring out which dates to go.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

We were at Munising last year the 3rd week in June. It was the first week the cruise boats could get out of the harbor to go to Pictured Rocks and the Shipwrecks. The Tuesday that week they managed to get to the end of the PR tour that morning, we were on the afternoon cruise. We got stranded for about an hour by ice that was blown in from the open water. We couldn't get turned around to head back to the harbor until the wind shifted. Some of the ice pack that had us blocked was chunks of ice bigger than the boat. So, if you're looking at going on the cruises, remember that this year Lake Superior is iced over more than it was last year at this time. If we stay cold, it may be closer to the end of June/first of July before the boats are operating.

We were on site 72 last year, but any of them along that row are long enough and all back up to the beach. The pull throughs across the road are also long enough, but you'd have to park beside your rig, not in front of it.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-20-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
ancha71

I would be looking just after Labor Day. Family gets together up at a sweet little National Forest campground in Clam Lake, WI every year after which I'd head over to Munising via M28. If there is still ice up there at that time; we'd be in trouble, as the Ice Age has returned!! I'll look for site 72. - Andy
Old 02-20-2015, 06:22 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

LOL You should be good to go that late in the year, but remember, that is the UP and it is Lake Superior. We had snow July 4th in 1979, so anything is possible...... Enjoy yourself, we'll probably be somewhere between Yellowstone and Salt Lake City about then......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #7
Morsets4

We've stayed at the Tourist Park the last two summers. First time was up by the office and last year we had a beach front full hookup site. We were there at the end of July, and it was cool weather and cold water. We love the area with all the things to see an do. You have to take a ride on the Riptide Ride. Awesome tour around Grand Island run buy a super nice family!
Have Fun!
Morsets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:34 PM   #8
rschad

I stayed at the Marquette Tourist park this summer, very nice park and good location. There are a couple festivals that fill up the park so be sure and check ahead and book. Very level sites and while many are back in, if it is not busy you might be able to just pull through the site behind you.

the UP is a beautiful area.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #9
ancha71

Morset4- Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to take the tour. Not sure if DW will be up for the Riptide ride. She likes pontoon boat rides on inland lakes or ferry boats on the GL's.
Water is always cold on Lake Superior. Hope the wind is out of the South so I can do a little swimming w/o turning blue!