Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2014, 06:10 AM   #1
sptddog

Those who had Fuzion slide leaks....

I've read through the forums, and found that some had slide leak issues. Yesterday we had 12 inches of rain....all of my slides leaked - all on the floor only. I'm almost certain it's not a huge issue, as the unit was pressure tested in the spring and didn't show signs of leaks. We had side-way's deluges of rain, so I'm not shocked that they leaked.....canopies didn't survive, so I know it dumped fast and hard.

The fridge slide was only damp - nothing major. Bedroom slide leaked a bit - again no sopping, but def a wet carpet. Couch/main slide leaked a LOT. Carpet only, nothing on walls - def worse at the front corner and back corner of the slide.

What I can't figure out is where this 'angle iron piece' is so i can look if the caulk if broken - I could re-seal it while we're here to limp through the week, and then pull it and use the good caulking tape and better seal when I get home (or make the dealer do it - extended warranty might cover this sort of thing?) Does anyone have pictures of where they caulked/fixed?

Also, I'm putting a heater fan on the wet areas, and probably going out today to buy a box fan to make sure it gets good and dried out. Any other ideas on how to dry things out, what to do, look for regarding ensuring that no further damage is caused by the wet carpet?
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
Luckybuck55

The only one on mine was on the bedroom slide at the bottom it is flat edges different from the other pieces on the other slides the water would run in bottom of angle and run on carpet in front corner of bed. This was the only place that mine leaked take screws out and remove and caulk under top and bottom and put back on. This leak stop but still got a little water when hurricane Author came at beach I think the strong wind and blowing rain came in around bottom seals only on bedroom no where else. Had RV tech check all others no leaks, he double check they have rounded edges
Luckybuck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
jayman

slide leak

What is the best and easiest way to check for slide leaks?I am.finding it difficult to pinpoint the exact spot.Tia!!
jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:04 AM   #4
sptddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman View Post
What is the best and easiest way to check for slide leaks?I am.finding it difficult to pinpoint the exact spot.Tia!!
No sure - other than having a dealer conduct the pressure test. I stood outside and watched where the water ran and looked for where it might be seeping in. I found 1-2 spots that it might have entered and caulked them (in a quick fix), and will keep an eye out to see if I have to pull the angle iron and fix that. If it holds for a rest of this season, I will hold off to fix that until it's cooler in fall. I also found water dripping from under the slide at the camper wall, right at the rear tire, and I haven't figured out where that one is running from yet, but that one didn't appear to be the cause of the leak, as the rug wasn't wet by the slide and camper wall, but wet at the back left corner of the slide against the outside wall.

I also had the leak test done at the dealer in april - so before I spend time fixing things, I will call and find out why the leaks weren't found then....maybe they will cover some of the repair, or perhaps my extended warranty will, in which case I won't worry about doing it myself.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
dpcrf450

May be obvious but was your trailer level when leaking. Not being level will cause water to find its way in the slides
Old 08-07-2014, 04:18 AM   #6
sptddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcrf450 View Post
May be obvious but was your trailer level when leaking. Not being level will cause water to find its way in the slides
It was level - actually sitting on a level pad and auto-leveled. I usually double check the autolevel with a real level - and it was pretty close. Not to say it couldn't have been slightly off...water doesn't need much.

Interestingly as I was working on the caulking, I found numerous 'possible avenues' for water to wick in. I pulled the screws to do the molding strip fix, and found them rusty with no caulk what-so-ever on them (so a likely water entry spot over the long haul). I found the flooring had 2 screws (from the outside bottom of the slide up) completely missing. Decided to pull the screws on the other drip rail moldings to check for caulk. Out of the 20 or so left to pull after the first strip discovery, at least 6 were broken off (not rusted off - probably over tightened when put in at the factory) about a 1/4 inch from the nail head. They were both just sitting in the hole. About 3 of the 20 had caulk, rest were just screwed in. There were screws missing under both the other two slides. Perhaps they vibrated out....but over all there are 8 missing on the bottom of the flooring. All the other caulk seams got the once over, and I pulled every screw and caulked it and replaced it with stainless steel screws. Quite a few screws were in and not even grabbing the wood on the other side.

It really is a shame they don't focus better on quality, but thankfully these forums are an eye opener, and allow me to fix things before they become a major pain!