Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
akacliph

Dinette table mounting question

Hi, we have a late model Hideout with a U shape dinette and a folding/collapsible table (OEM) that is incredibly wobbly, for the kids AND adults. My question is has anyone hard mounted their original table or upgraded to something bolted/screwed down and what should I be aware of under the floor besides the obvious. Just not sure how much room I have to work with under the carpet/plywood...

Thanks in advance!
akacliph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Murphsmom

We have a 2013 Cougar 25RLSWE that came with the U shaped dinette. The table was not terribly wobbly, but it was so small that we couldn't comfortably use it for more than two people. Our fix was to remove the back side of the U and have a much larger table made that fits all the way from the wall to the outer edge of the bench seat. We use rubber doorstops under the cross pieces of the legs to keep the table from sliding while on the road.

There was a whole thread here a while back where people told their problems and solutions with this type of table. I'm not sure who came up with the idea of a collapsible leg assembly, but it was more than likely some designer or engineer who never actually had to use it.

Here is a picture of our new table setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	362
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	4695  
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
akacliph

Thanks for the pic, I've considered making a new table all together. I've read the threads too, couldn't find any details on attaching hardware to the floor and what you might encounter.
akacliph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
f6bits

Ours used to be wobbly. I adjusted the feet so it sits level, then had the table frame welded so it no longer folds down. Since we don't use that spot for sleeping, no problem, and the table is rock solid.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
fireidiot

I absolutely hate my table with the U-Dinette. It's not the table so much but the collapsible legs. I bang my knees on them constantly. I really hope I get the time this spring to install two post legs and get rid of the collapsible ones.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:35 AM   #6
Kristi

Our passport came with a u-shaped dinette, but the table has the 2 post legs rather then the collapsible legs.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
Murphsmom

With our larger table and bench seats, our legs don't bang into the table legs. I had a problem with that when we still had the small table and the U dinette, but not any more. There is a huge amount of legroom now.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
f6bits

Where did you get the new table top?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphsmom View Post
With our larger table and bench seats, our legs don't bang into the table legs. I had a problem with that when we still had the small table and the U dinette, but not any more. There is a huge amount of legroom now.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 01-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
dixonlaredo

If anyone has made the change from U to regular dinette, could you post some pics? Also, where you purchased your parts and how you attached to the floor.
dixonlaredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #10
Murphsmom

We went to Drake's RV in Pendleton, Oregon and had it made. They were able to get the laminate from the Keystone factory there in town, so it matches exactly to the countertops.

As far as the conversion from U shape to booth, we were able to do that with a minimum of fuss. The back section of the U was installed over the carpet and we were able to remove it by taking out a dozen or so screws. The seats already went all the way back to the wall. The only thing that had to be replaced was a piece of moulding. When we go to the storage facility, I'll try to remember to bring the camera and take a picture of underneath the table.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #11
f6bits

I'd have to get new backrests. The current ones stop short where the curved backrest starts.

I'd consider a wall mount hook rail for one end of the table and a folding leg for the other end. Stable, yet still foldable for sleeping.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #12
Murphsmom

We just left those curved sections in place for now. You can see them in the picture. They don't interfere with sitting at the table.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:51 AM   #13
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphsmom View Post
We have a 2013 Cougar 25RLSWE that came with the U shaped dinette. The table was not terribly wobbly, but it was so small that we couldn't comfortably use it for more than two people. Our fix was to remove the back side of the U and have a much larger table made that fits all the way from the wall to the outer edge of the bench seat. We use rubber doorstops under the cross pieces of the legs to keep the table from sliding while on the road.

There was a whole thread here a while back where people told their problems and solutions with this type of table. I'm not sure who came up with the idea of a collapsible leg assembly, but it was more than likely some designer or engineer who never actually had to use it.

Here is a picture of our new table setup.

Looks great! That's what I would like to do. I never set my table like that though!

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #14
Murphsmom

Me, either! Hubby said that if I was going to take a picture to show off the size of the table, I should do it like they show on TV. <grin>
Old 02-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #15
srvnt

I think I will try this on my wobbly 2 leg table.
http://www.rvpartsinc.com/AP-Product...-RV-Parts.html

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #16
mom2budnbug

I really like this! We haven't even had our TT for a year yet and were just talking about what would change on the next one. Getting rid of the U-dinette was on that list
mom2budnbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #17
bigceltic

Quote:
Originally Posted by akacliph View Post
Hi, we have a late model Hideout with a U shape dinette and a folding/collapsible table (OEM) that is incredibly wobbly, for the kids AND adults. My question is has anyone hard mounted their original table or upgraded to something bolted/screwed down and what should I be aware of under the floor besides the obvious. Just not sure how much room I have to work with under the carpet/plywood...

Thanks in advance!
We are working to replace our table ....the folding legs in particular. Found a site online that has the parts...total with shipping is around 65 bucks. We plan to use current table,just replace the legs. You will see from my post on this forum the only thing we still need to find is the screw length for the floor mounts. Will post pics of the project when done....assuming it works....
Turbo Diesel Register Member
bigceltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:21 AM   #18
aktacampn

I added a piece of 1x4 to wedge in next to from leg. At the top it sits inside the U piece that screws to table. At the bottom, it sits on the front leg beam. It is cut to wedge in tight. I use a small bracket screwed to back of the leg beam to keep wood from kicking out. It is very solid now. No wobbling. The wood stays in place very well. It is easy to remove wood and collapse the table. I have since stained wood to match trailer. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1396196166150.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	5448
aktacampn is offline   Reply With Quote