Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2020, 08:38 AM   #21
twvette

Thanks everyone again! Yep, had a list of truck stuff to investigate just need to find some garage time again and good details above to check out/try.

I had reached out to MorRyde already and it ironically was Ryan Holmes who sent me some info so will check it out also. I see it does normally allow about 1-1/2in side to side movement in their video versus the 3in or so front to back but still not sure should be able to move it by hand. Likely need to drop the skid plate and inspect the rubber bushing. Maybe its torn one direction vs the other.
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:38 AM   #22
twvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post

The Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I'm thinking it is not a match made in heaven.
All good here, I am a "catch and release" fisherman
Old 05-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #23
twvette

Found it, very subtle (can see the slight dip a little off center in the front tire edge of pic). One of the front tires is starting to separate. Makes sense since truck felt a little loose but still a little strange don't notice this much without the trailer as usually it pulls to one side when this happens. Should have just got all four tires new, but at least this will now too be covered by the certs I originally purchased .
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3136.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	27189
Old 05-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #24
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by twvette View Post
Found it, very subtle (can see the slight dip a little off center in the front tire edge of pic). One of the front tires is starting to separate. Makes sense since truck felt a little loose but still a little strange don't notice this much without the trailer as usually it pulls to one side when this happens. Should have just got all four tires new, but at least this will now too be covered by the certs I originally purchased .
Attachment 27189
Good catch, what are you running for tires. I have a similar truck. Our 5th wheel is 16K and pretty much maxed out the truck when we full timed for almost 2 years. If the weights in post #9 are correct, then...................
Old 05-10-2020, 07:44 AM   #25
lonewolftx

Try this. . .

Quote:
Almost forgot how easy it was to get trailer off ground since have hydraulic jacks. The middle axle hangs a little lower than front and rear so had to use my Andersen blocks/buckets to get the middle axle tires off the ground.

I did notice the middle axle kinda dropped suddenly when lifting so it might have been a little bound up when lifting if this is a sign of anything.

Did the straight edge check. Only have a 4ft'er and seems the middle axle is maybe off an 1/8in at the top (camber) on both sides from both the front and rear axles ... perhaps this is due to it drooping lower when off the ground but little strange as bottom of this tire is in line it seems.

Checked each wheel to see if could move side to side to check bearings. One of my rears has a very slight amount of play but all others rock solid.

I did notice all my tires have a bit of a ledge on both the inner and outer edges maybe 3/4in inch in fromt he edge. Supposedly this is a sign of under inflation but I always keep mine at pressure and check regularly. Maybe its my tires are just now that much "narrower" and perhaps it is "rolling" onto those edges now as it gets wider(?). Curious if any other signs of issues with this tire wear signature.

I have the original Sailun 637's 110 PSI.

I have Nitto Ridge Grapplers rated at 3650 each. Checked all of them for inner tread separation signs/bubbles/deformation and good.

I would say it is a lot of squirm with some sway so having to correct with steering wheel. Even wife noticed the trailer swaying when following me in her car this trip which she also thought was weird as often follows me. Enough sway too that could tell on occasion cars passing were a little hesitant and moving to far side of their lane in some cases but never really crossed into into their side.
I have the same rig. There is a wheel alignment system on the axel’s Yellow pentagon disks called Lipperts wheel track. Go to their site or download their app and it shows you how to see if you need to realign the axels/tires. You have to rotate the yellow discs.
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:55 AM   #26
sonofcy

Quote:
Thanks again to all the useful replies on the topic. I see caught a fish too.

The string is good idea to run the entire wheel edges in one so will try that but think its good from the straight edge already did.

Will look into the MorRyde pin box and watch the video. Just seems a bit strange to me can twist it.

Not seeing any buldging tires.

I did get two new tires on the truck. One got a screw near sidewall so they replaced it with the certs I bought and pushed them for a second one as I am down to just below 50% tread and did not want uneven tires on same axle. So did end up with two new ones on the rear for this trip and that is the only change from last trip besides different roads. The truck did feel a little loose steering out of the parking lot of the tire shop but that seems to have went away quick. So I do have two ~50% tires on front and two 100% on rear. Will check out the truck/tires more.
I have been a global troubleshooter most of my life. This is easy, what changed between the last time and now. You changed tires! That is the cause! Did you replace tires with exactly the same brand and size? Are they fully inflated?
You probably have too much trailer for that truck as well, but that is a separate discussion.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #27
firestation12

The pin weight is approximately to load capacity of one rear tire. Considering the rear axle weight of the truck, it would seem the new tires’ load capacity has been exceeded. Overloaded tires react like under inflated tires in that they make the rear axle sway. Add in the possibility of partially full holding tanks sloshing back and forth, the fuel station’s fuel level, whatever atv is in the back, and a little side wind or passing semi, may add up to be the perfect storm.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #28
Extinguisher55

Could there be to much weight in the back of the camper?
Extinguisher55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #29
notanlines

All great suggestions, but I believe after post #23 he has probably found the culprit.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:13 AM   #30
Big 417

Have you run this stretch of road before? I know tire grooves in the highway cause my trailer to go squirrelly.
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #31
twvette

Was able to get the toy hauler back out (same stretch of road as last time) and it pulled great again with new tires. Almost certain that bad tire was the issue but I did tighten up the Andersen hitch which could only help too. Interesting how it made it feel like trailer sway vs. truck issue. In other words it felt like trailer would move then the truck but it was really the opposite.

Decided to change to F rated (12 ply) tires as there are a few more options in them these days so ended up with Yokohama AT-X in 35x12.5-18 so hopefully no more separated tires. Yea, I stepped down from my
Old 20in to 18in wheels and this seemed to produce a slightly better ride in general too with some more sidewall.

Tags
5th wheel, axle, fuzion