Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2020, 09:51 PM   #21
Huntme

me and my DW just use the house TP,it works well,and does not fall apart in your hand.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:55 PM   #22
Huntme

Corn Cobs are scratchy,but they will get you clean
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:48 PM   #23
5J's

Last time I was at Tractor Supply (TSC) they had plenty in the RV section.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:10 AM   #24
neveser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Take a square of toilet paper and place it in a jar of water, or a bowl with water and let it set for 10 or 15 min. Shake the jar or stir the bowl. If the TP breaks up into small pieces and makes the water cloudy it's septic safe. If the TP doesn't break up then it's not "septic safe".
I've seen this suggestion for years. My wife did this with her favorite brands and they all passed the test. I'm not sure what brands she buys but we've never had problems. This is after 2 RVs and almost 10 years camping.

Great suggestion that can save you $$s.

2014 19FBPR Bullet Premier
2004 Toyota 4Runner V8 4x4
neveser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:10 AM   #25
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I typically pickup Scott RV Toilet Paper at a local Walmart before I go camping. I'm heading out tomorrow with a limited amount in the camper. I started to look for any RV toilet paper last Thursday, but the panic shoppers have snagged it up. I have toilet paper at home, but don't want to use it. Is there any regular toilet paper that is RV friendly?
After using the wrong kind of paper and needing Mr Rooter to open up the pipes, we have been using Purex Envirocare for a year+ since then with no issues.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:04 AM   #26
firestation12

We have used JRTH's alternate method of using a small container with a Walmart bag, for years. Best thing about it is you can use premium thickness TP. A quick spritz of room air freshener in the waste container will assure pleasant experience.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:05 AM   #27
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
After using the wrong kind of paper and needing Mr Rooter to open up the pipes, we have been using Purex Envirocare for a year+ since then with no issues.
Surely/hopefully you didn't use Mr Rooter on your RV?
Home sewer piping & RV waste systems are not the same except in their contents.
We've lived in homes with city sewer, septic systems & our rv with never an issue regardless of toilet paper brand. Children flushing toys & tree roots caused problems a couple times requiring snaking them out, but wasn't caused by the wrong tp.
Honestly buy what you like, rather what the DW likes, whether it's the more expensive RV type or some environmentally brand, it's all used for the same purpose & goes to the same spot after use, just be sure in your RV to use plenty of water per flush.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:13 AM   #28
mfifield01

From my basic test, the Angel Soft seems to fall apart easier in a cup of water. It also feels less soft than the Charmin. The Charmin didn't seem to fall apart.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:23 AM   #29
Spletbr

Or try a marine store...less of a run on their supply
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:31 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Just a "Chip-visionary" observation (you're welcome Chip):

It definitely appears, from the discussions in this thread, that RV'ers (at least on this forum) are fully aware of what actions to take when both their hands are tied behind their back(side)…..

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:32 AM   #31
Msmith2054

Don’t use TP

Try this method. If you still have to rinse, who doesn’t have an outside shower?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7CB9803-B3BC-4B68-81ED-A0FEDC1352F2.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	25808  
Msmith2054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #32
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I typically pickup Scott RV Toilet Paper at a local Walmart before I go camping. I'm heading out tomorrow with a limited amount in the camper. I started to look for any RV toilet paper last Thursday, but the panic shoppers have snagged it up. I have toilet paper at home, but don't want to use it. Is there any regular toilet paper that is RV friendly?

There are some YouTube videos where they've done some simple, but common sense, analysis of various TPs including RV TP. Somewhat surprisingly the RV TP generally fares the worst. Generally the test is comprised of putting some water into a jar, adding a few pieces of TP. letting it sit for a few seconds and then a gentle shake or stir. Some brands totally disintegrate, some break up pretty good and others not at all. The RV brands often don't break up at all. We generally use Angel Soft which tests well.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:12 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

While this post began about scarcity of TP , I think it would be a disservice to "newbie" campers tuning in if we don't dive into the differences between a SB (sticks and bricks) house and the RV plumbing system, particularly waste drainage.
A SB drains everything into one pipe that exits the house and enters the "sewer system" outside without restriction to the exit. The drain lines in a SB are larger, usually with steeper lateral runs and a higher distance in the vertical "fall". As most houses have multiple bathrooms, sinks, and appliance such as dishwashers, food waste disposals, washing machines, etc. this results in more water flowing thru those pipes. When you flush a toilet a set amount of water (typically 1 1/2 gallons) carries the waste down the pipe with every flush. All the plumbing is prevented from freezing either by warm inside aor or outside exit and pipes buried below the frost line. The plumbing "system" is typically built to a building code by licensed plumber's or apprentices/helpers under the master plumber's license and guidance.

So now that we're all plumbing experts let's take a look at the RV system. Built by "someone" likely making just above minimum wage under great time restraints. The black water system may only have a toilet connected to it. The amount of water used to flush the toilet is user defined, not preset. So one person may hold the water on for several seconds while another may stop the water instantly after the "stuff" disappears out of sight. After exiting the toilet it's typically a short drop (often straight down) into a plastic holding tank that is very wide and long and very "shallow" so water will flow over a large area and solids will "pile up" where it drops. Take a bowl of cereal and milk outside and turn it upside down on the sidewalk. The cereal will set in a pile and the milk will "'run away" and disperse. When you flush (think more like empty) the toilet the solids pile up with the TP on top. The paper dries out and forms modern art piece out of paper Mache, while the water drains away stopping at the "dump valve" I may take several gallons of water to reach the valve and sill have some remain in the tank. This is where you're new "artwork" will remain until you drain that tank which may be days, or even weeks from your "creation" date. When you drain this tank the waste travels down a pipe with a very shallow angle compared to a SB house. Shallow floor rafters, limited space above the exterior barrier dictate this Slope. It must then traverse thru a corrugated "slinky" which restricts the flow, until it finally reaches the cg's waste pipe and flows away in a similar fashion as a SB.

So this very lengthy explanation is to explain that the type of TP is but one consideration because you have so many variables in the system. If you have an issue with not using enough water when Flushing (RV toilets scare many Young children and between that and lack of patience don't spend much time performing this task), limited use and the "system" drying out, or someone the uses large amounts of TP. or uses a "flushable" product (don't believe those labels) then most folks will blame the TP brand for the issue.

For the newbies, and even some seasoned campers, you are staying in a camper not a hotel room. Understanding that you don't have "unlimited hot water", the toilet isn't "flush and forget", and the air conditioner will not keep up if people are running in and out of the door every 2 seconds will help you have a better experience. Learning how these systems work and what the limitations are will result in the rv working for you instead of you working on it.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #34
larryflew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Any TP you use in your house, you can use in an RV. There is no difference. When you dump your tanks in your camper, it all goes either into a septic tank, or a city treatment plant. You do not need anything special for your RV. Use what you have.

Or, do like we did, and install a Bidet! Our TP usage went from 1 roll a day to less than 1 roll a month. REALLY!
Ditto. Have 2 at home and 1 in the fifth wheel. The extra water in the black also helps flushing the tank when dumping.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:47 AM   #35
cliff

DW and I watched two people run a TP test on YouTube. They took 4 sheets, wadded them up, and dropped them into a covered shallow glass dish. Shook the dish a couple of times and let it stand for 30 minutes. Then dumped the toilet paper/water to see how it decomposed. Funny that their results showed the RV TP was pretty much the worst.

We get TP from a bunch of places and did the same thing. Found the best TP that broke down almost immediately was Walmart's Great Value, and it wasn't hard or scratchy. Scott 1000 did about the same. We quit using RV TP and use Great Value and have little problems with our black water level gauges.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #36
rodgebone

i agree...Walmart Great Value works just fine. after 7 months full timing thats all ive ever used. but really, it doesnt matter what brand you use - it all depends how much water you add with it
Old 03-26-2020, 07:31 PM   #37
Todd727

This really isn't rocket science. Use a minimum of TP and jump in the shower. Think outside the box. We have water in this country....
Old 03-27-2020, 05:34 AM   #38
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
This really isn't rocket science. Use a minimum of TP and jump in the shower. Think outside the box. We have water in this country....
I told my DW to do that the other day (as a joke). I got a not so nice facial expression.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:26 AM   #39
rodgebone

mfifield01

Quote:
I told my DW to do that the other day (as a joke). I got a not so nice facial expression.
at least it wasnt a fecal expression
Old 03-27-2020, 07:32 AM   #40
Lee

As found on the wall of a stall on an Air Force base in Mississippi:

Here I sit in mist and vapor,
Some idiot stole the toilet paper,
Break is over I must not linger,
Watch out booty here comes my f!inger!!!!!

happy trails,

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet