Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #21
Preyou

I took 2 layers of Styrofoam taped together wit 2 sided carpet tape, cut to shape and inserted into the cavity. Used spring pole to hold in place. Works great.
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #22
Yamatime

Google Camco RV Skylight insulator. That's what I use. Works well in the winter time also. Has a reflective surface that you point Towards the Sky light. Works awesome
Yamatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:40 AM   #23
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamatime View Post
Google Camco RV Skylight insulator. That's what I use. Works well in the winter time also. Has a reflective surface that you point Towards the Sky light. Works awesome
Yeah, they work great on skylights with box edges. Absolutely useless on Cougar shower skylights, which are shaped like soup bowls -- not just way larger, but no vertical sides to grab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7293.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	27839  
Old 06-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #24
Keystoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I took a reflective cover made for the door windows and used self sticking velcro to hold it up inside. I need the headroom so doing it that was inexpensive and has worked for about 8 years now.
That's what I did...about $8 from amazon, IIRC. Turns out I don't need the head room in this 5W.
A bonus is that I can control how much light and heat comes in by pulling off various Velcro sections...
Old 06-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #25
Folkie

Our fix was not elegant but we wanted to cut down on the glare and heat in the shower without making it too dark. Used some dog resistant screen I had squirreled away and my wife sowed some velcro tabs on it. Seems to help the intended purpose. You can probably find darker auto shade material. We will see how it works in practice the end of June.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200414_160206.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	27840  
Folkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:52 PM   #26
maddogrdhg

Skylight fix

I separated the 2 halves(inner/outer). I used a quality solar screen material. It lets some light in while blocking the heat. It won’t peel like solar film and is easy to change if you don’t like it.
maddogrdhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #27
Upland111

Spray paint for plastic

Our skylight in the living room allowed a lot of heat to enter the rig. I used spray paint made to be used on plastic to paint the rooftop surface. Really made a difference. Note: White paint does not make it appear white on the inside surface, somewhat tan in appearance but still allows some light but greatly reduced heat and glare.
Upland111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:07 PM   #28
vulcanwayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogrdhg View Post
I separated the 2 halves(inner/outer). I used a quality solar screen material. It lets some light in while blocking the heat. It won’t peel like solar film and is easy to change if you don’t like it.
Please tell me more about the solar screen-where you purchased it and how you applied it.
Thanks
vulcanwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #29
Roscommon48

my wife made a curtain for the inside of the sunroof. it works pretty good.

here are some ideas
https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+s...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:19 PM   #30
LHaven

Heh... you know, I forgot another option, from my youth in New England...

There's a product called Glass Wax that is made for cleaning glass, but at Christmas time it was a regional tradition to use a sponge to "paint" snowscapes and winter scenes on the inside of house windows, frosting them. After the season, you would just wash it off. There used to be a seasonal TV ad showing this family ritual every year.

I have a can of it somewhere. I suspect it may not survive many steamy showers, but it's worth a try.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:47 AM   #31
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Instead of painting use static cling acetate. You can get color designs like stained glass or block all light with reflective or dark tinted film.
The static cling doesn’t peel away and is easily taken down if needed.
Our stained glass look has been up for a year. Beautiful and does cut light.
This what we have done, cheap purchase a Home Depot and looks great. Took all of 15 min. to install. Planning on doing the same thing to our new rig.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:38 PM   #32
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Giroux View Post
We used two spring bars (sold to hold loose item inside shelves). Place the spring bars across the skylight frame. Then spread any type of material you want across the two support spring bars.
We were not comfortable with removing or obstructing the inner liner for fear that it would capture heat between the two layers to the point of creating heat damage to the plexiglass/plastic.
Using the spring bars allows for air flow while darkening the room.
Something like this? Saw your post and I asked the DW to sew up a shade with specific dimensions and picked up two tension rods from wally world. It works like a charm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3242.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	28177  
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, paint