Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2022, 12:10 AM   #1
wrvond

New tires bought looking for a wheel

After reading the thread on Trailer King tires I went ahead and ordered 5 Carlisle. I’d kind of like to replace the steel spare with an aluminum that matches the OEMs but am at a loss how to identify and locate one.
I’m also wondering what metal valve stems I should get.
Guidance is appreciated.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:12 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Your OE wheels should have a stamp on them that shows the manufacturer. It may be on the inside. It may actually contain the model as well. If not, if you at least know the manufacturer and weight/psi rating, you can then go to the manufacturer website to search for a match. As for steel valve stems, off the top of my head, they’ll all be rated for around 150 psi. Which one/brand you get doesn’t matter as long as they have the psi rating.

One thing to consider with the aluminum wheel, most spare tire carriers on trailers are not aluminum wheel “friendly”. They’ll hold the wheel, but may add a lot of scarring to the surface. You may need to make some modifications to prevent cosmetic damage.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:25 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

The bolt in valve stem will depend on the wheel you have, some will not accept a "exterior" bolt in valve stem and require the use of an "interior" bolt in stem. I would take a look at the back side of the rim and take a picture of the wheel to note any names/numbers.

Sendel is one brand Keystone uses ( sendelwheel.com). Etrailer is another source ( etrailer.com) and Tredit is another that comes to mind (tredittire.com) is another off the top of my head. If you reach out to Keystone customer service they should be able to tell you what rim they put on your trailer, just be prepared and have the trailer VIN number handy when you call or email them.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:29 AM   #4
bsmith0404

HiSpec is another popular brand used. As mentioned you can contact Keystone and they may be able to help, or look on the wheel. I’ve never seen a wheel company that didn’t put their name somewhere on their product.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:04 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I forgot about the spare tire carrier. Ours is a bumber mount spare tire carrier and those things bounce around, a lot. Ours has a top bolt that goes thru a lug bolt hole and a second bolt that goes thru the wheel center and clamps it down with a metal bar. Most bumber mounts are made this way.

What I did was ordered some self stick neoprene that has a non- sticky groved surface that holds really well. IIRC they were advertised for keeping furniture and lamps, etc. from moving. I cut these sheets down to fit across the metal bar and one peice to cover a 1/2" fender washer. It's been working well for me. YMMV
Old 03-29-2022, 07:15 AM   #6
wrvond

Thanks guys!
My spare is, for better or worse, stored inside the front compartment. I'm going to have to look to see how it is fastened in.
I appreciate the links. Since it is too cold for this old guy to get down on the ground today to look at the back of a wheel or two, I'll peruse those links to see if I can find one that looks like what I already have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire001a.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	39008   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire001b.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	39009  

Old 03-29-2022, 07:34 AM   #7
wrvond

Well, you guys made that easy!
It appears my Cougar is equipped with the Tredit Pinnacle in gun metal.
Curiosity is getting the better of me. Looks like I'm going to go crawl around on the ground after all to verify this is the right one!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tredit.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	39010  

Old 03-29-2022, 08:31 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Curiosity is getting the better of me. Looks like I'm going to go crawl around on the ground after all to verify this is the right one!
Save yourself some time. You won't be able to see the back side of the spokes by crawling under the trailer. The axle hub is in the way. The only way to see what's cast into the back of the spokes is to jack up the axle, remove the tire/wheel and view the back of the wheel.

Here's something like what you'll see, all blocked from view when the wheel is mounted on the hub.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WHEEL%20PIX%201A.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	39011  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:36 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Looks like you'll need high pressure 502 valve stems. They go in from the outside and get secured with nuts on the inside.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:00 AM   #10
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Save yourself some time. You won't be able to see the back side of the spokes by crawling under the trailer. The axle hub is in the way. The only way to see what's cast into the back of the spokes is to jack up the axle, remove the tire/wheel and view the back of the wheel.

Here's something like what you'll see, all blocked from view when the wheel is mounted on the hub.
Now you tell me!

Yep, found that out the hard way. But I am 99.9% sure I've got Tredit Pinnacle 15" by 6" with 6 on 5.5" Gun Metal/Machine.
Pilot hole is 3.75" and valve stem hole is .453".

I've only been able to find silver or black online though. At approximately $185.00 it's not the most expensive wheel I've ever seen. Though a look at my spare made me realize it's not so bad. I thought it was white.

@flybouy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spare.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	39014  

Old 03-29-2022, 10:31 AM   #11
bsmith0404

If you’re lucky, that spare will never come out from where it is right now. I carry two spares with me, in almost 20 years, I’ve used one and that only stayed on for about 200 miles until I got home. Btw, I do change them out every other time when I change the other tires as well.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 03-29-2022, 10:41 AM   #12
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
If you’re lucky, that spare will never come out from where it is right now. I carry two spares with me, in almost 20 years, I’ve used one and that only stayed on for about 200 miles until I got home. Btw, I do change them out every other time when I change the other tires as well.
I've never had to use the spare on a personal camper. I've had to use the spares on campers for delivery - they often pick up screws from the factory floor.
My last unit had a bumper mounted spare that had never touched the ground. I exploded one day for no apparent reason (other than the sun beating down on it).
The only way I'm ever lucky enough to not need the spare is if I have one that is ready to go in every way. If I don't have one, or if I let it go flat, I am virtually guaranteed to need it. At midnight. In the snow. On a bridge.

Old 03-29-2022, 11:04 AM   #13
bsmith0404

Quote:
I've never had to use the spare on a personal camper. I've had to use the spares on campers for delivery - they often pick up screws from the factory floor.
My last unit had a bumper mounted spare that had never touched the ground. I exploded one day for no apparent reason (other than the sun beating down on it).
The only way I'm ever lucky enough to not need the spare is if I have one that is ready to go in every way. If I don't have one, or if I let it go flat, I am virtually guaranteed to need it. At midnight. In the snow. On a bridge.
Sounds about right. The one time I needed it, I picked up a screw on I 40 just west of Tucumcari, NM on a Sunday afternoon in 105 degrees. Had to go the last 200 miles to Las Cruces on the spare (original LRE China bomb). without another spare. That’s when I added a BAL hid a spare and put LRGs on the spares as well. I never had one when I was transporting, but I know a lot of guys who did.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:02 PM   #14
CWtheMan

Quote:
This may help.

https://www.tredittire.com/wheel/pinnacle/
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:28 AM   #15
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Thanks, that's exactly where I got the picture in post #7.

Old 04-08-2022, 07:25 AM   #16
pawpaw

Quote:
Thanks, that's exactly where I got the picture in post #7.
Saw they have a recall on some Trailer King tires. Some that required load range E were supplied with D range tires. Checked mine and they do have the E rated ones. Still am going to get a set of Goodyear Endurance or the Carlisles. Got reamed by a friend when I had my '15 Fuzion for running Chinese tires. They were Sailun 637's and in late '14 when I bought the Fuzion they were the OEM tires. Never had a problem with them and the spare never touched the ground. Fixed my friend a nice "crow" supper!!
Old 04-08-2022, 08:14 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Saw they have a recall on some Trailer King tires. Some that required load range E were supplied with D range tires. Checked mine and they do have the E rated ones. Still am going to get a set of Goodyear Endurance or the Carlisles. Got reamed by a friend when I had my '15 Fuzion for running Chinese tires. They were Sailun 637's and in late '14 when I bought the Fuzion they were the OEM tires. Never had a problem with them and the spare never touched the ground. Fixed my friend a nice "crow" supper!!
Since their introduction, the Sailun 637's have been an exceptionally reliable tire. I don't think very many people have the same sentiment regarding Trailer King ST tires. One is like strapping in with a 4 point harness, the other is like using a section of cotton rope wrapped around your neck to tie yourself to the seat... Press your luck with TK's and there's a darn good chance he'll be "feeding you crow" the next time you share stories around the campfire.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:47 AM   #18
travelin texans

The TK tires may make a good swing over a tree limb, but with their reputation I'm not sure I'd put any of my grandkids in one. Their recall may not cover that??
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 10:30 AM   #19
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The TK tires may make a good swing over a tree limb, but with their reputation I'm not sure I'd put any of my grandkids in one. Their recall may not cover that??
I donate old tires to be used as boat dock bumpers! Most of them were Firestone years ago! Ever hear of Gladiator trailer tires. Son in law just put a set on their camper.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:22 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Here the state charges a mandatory "disposal fee" when replacing tires. There's no need to find a donor recipient, there's plenty of used tires to go around.

Tags
tires