Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
therink

2015 Silvaerado HD - Gas or Diesel

I want to start off by saying I dont want to start a gas vs diesel debate. I am looking for input based on my own situation. I am considering on upgrading my current 3500HD SRW gasser in sig below.
My truck use: I tow my fiver maybe 2k yr (last year kept it a seasonal site and towed maybe 500 miles). My gasser with 4:10 axle does the job just fine towing my 12k fiver. My truck is a daily driver used for my business and tow equipment trailers maybe once per month. My daily commute is mostly highway and about 20 miles each way. I put on about 20k/year (mostly highway). I average about 12 mpg with gasser, and about 9 when towing. I do my own oil changes/maintenance and keep my truck in showroom condition. Since I live in salt band, I get new truck about every 3 years before the first sign of rust appears. If you drive in salt, you know what I mean.
I am considering a new 3500HD and want a Duramax, but not sure if in the long run (resale value in 3 years) if diesel is a good investment at $8500 extra. I ran the numbers and the trade vale on my current truck would be about $5 k higher if it were a Duramax.
Please dont provide opinion based on "diesels tow better" or "go diesel or go home". I want to know what you think makes sense in my situation. Thanks for the insight.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
mguay

I get 19mpg on the highway empty and 12mpg towing. My 5er is 12k also. I like the diesel for towing through the mountains.

You've already figured out that the D will only average a 3k loss at trade in, so the next question is, will you save the 3k in fuel over the life of the truck?

Like you, I live in the salt and trade every few years. I ordered a '15 last Friday!
Old 10-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Steve -
If your present truck has been kept in showroom condition - despite your battle with salt and rust - and it has served you well up to now..... why not hang on to it for another year or two? Doesn't sound like it has high mileage and you are getting decent mpg with it.

If it is not showing any signs of rust, then it might be advantageous to you to keep it.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
bsmith0404

I went through this same personal battle a couple years back, I was deciding if I should go diesel or stay gas. My dad was trying to decide to go gas or stay diesel. Looking at it this way, if you do 20k miles per year, at 12 mpg and $3 per gallon you will spend $5,000 on gas. That same 20k miles per year in a diesel averaging 16 mpg (that's what I average with combined city/hwy miles), at $3.6 per gallon is $4,500 per year. Prices are not exact, but from my experience diesel has been running about 60 cents per gallon more than gas. Based on mileage difference, you would have to pay $4 per gallon for diesel before the two equal out. Basically, my experience is that the diesel truck is cheaper to run per mile than the gas.

As you have already seen, the diesel will get you more on trade so the higher initial price tag will get recouped in the end. When I bought my 2500, I planned on buying used, until I started shopping and realized with the diesel I could get new for just a couple thousand more because the dmax holds it's value so well....it's almost like buying a Harley.

The rest of the differences between the two are minimal. Yes you have to buy 4 more qrts of oil per change, but you're talking about 4 changes per year, not a huge issue. I use Mobil Delvac, very good turbo diesel oil at a reasonable price. one Allison spin on filter per year at $10, and one to two fuel filters per year at $20. That's pretty much it.

Now the best part....you have the diesel when you do hook up. I know you didn't want to hear that argument, but you will love it when you experience it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
therink

So far, so good. Keep it coming. Thanks

Old 10-23-2014, 06:19 AM   #6
Desert185

I would keep the gasser a bit longer with annual treatments of Rust Kill to mitigate the corrosion. When you really think you need another truck, sell the gasser, buy a diesel and keep it even longer. We usually buy used and keep it a long time, and a diesel lends it self better to that philosophy. Living in the mountain west with a turbocharged vehicle, towing or otherwise, makes the driving/towing experience much more pleasurable.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
byrdr1

I have a friend who has an 03 Duramax 3500 CC DRW LB. it has under 75k on it. He only uses it to pull camper and work trailer when needed. he told me last weekend he was never getting rid of it.
I have a 03 F-350 CC SRW LB. I have bought it used with 75K on it and 1&1/2 years old. I now have 225K on it use it pull and haul. I use it as a daily driver. I average 15mpg around town and 10.5mpg towing the camper or heavy trailer. My utility trailer doesn't even show a difference in mileage behind it. I have had some engine work done like the valve cover gaskets replace last year summer. Brakes, rotors both ends, starter, alternator, tensioner and 2 fan belts, numerous batteries?, front end work, upper and lower ball joints, transmission serviced. Most of this was routine maintenance. I run Rotella oil and fram filters.
What Am I saying after saying all this.
My truck has more than paid for itself over the last 10 years.
The resale value of my truck is still around 12-15K(some say 18K??) which is a little more than half of what I paid used for it.
depending what you are looking at. My engine is the best ford engine 7.3PSD.
I dont know if a 3 trading year plan you would save money in the long run. but if you chose to keep it a while longer it(diesel) would be a better deal.
JMHO
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
GaryWT

I decide a year ago August that I would buy a 350 this past spring if I was around. I am still around so we went shopping. Looked at both but the bottom line for me was I did not want to spend the $8,300 extra. I knew anything would do better than my 150. Other than the cost, I know every gas station doesn't have diesel so I just didn't want to get involved in looking for diesel. Good luck on your choice.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
Ram189

You will get better MPG towing and around town out of the diesel.

Diesel is more expensive than regular gas at this point to the tune of about 40 or 50 cents here in the DC area. So that is something to look at with mileage.

Torque on the diesel for taking off and pulling grades, ect is much better as far as towability.

If you go with the Duramax go with the Allison transmission. I don't know if they still offer it both ways but the regular trans get beat up pretty badly by the diesel in the long run. The Allisons have been pretty bullet proof if treated right. No drag racing, not over heated, ect.

I think the mileage interval on service with the diesel is around 15,000 miles as compared to the gas at 7500 as well.

I am not a Chevy guy but am a Service Director at a GM dealer so I would say diesel all the way based on what I have seen.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
Javi

Here's how I look at it...

If you're worried about the cost of maintenance, fuel cost differential, and ROI at trade-in then you should probable stick with gas...

I never once considered those issues when deciding to buy diesel again after having tried two gas pickups. I already knew that I would never again own a gas pickup to pull a trailer, ain't gonna happen... My only regret is that I didn't buy the dually when I made the trade..
Old 10-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #11
cblong

I live in green bay wisconsin we use salt and last winter was months of below zero temps. Diesels are a different beast when it comes to the cold. you have to plug them in. warm up times are longer. winter diesel gets worse MPG. I strongly recommend getting a grill cover to help with around town driving and warm up times but then as soon as you hook up a trailer you have to take the cover off. The longevity of the motor is better but you also have more parts to keep up with fuel filers, DEF. I chose a diesel and my next truck will be one when this one dies. my 2c.

Cougar High country 330 RBK
2014 F350 6.7 CC DRW
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax CCSB SOLD
cblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #12
Ken / Claudia

This really is a gas v diesel thread. But, here's my take. You found that the gas engine works for you. A new gas truck would still work for you. You want a Duramax, go get one. Yea they cost more but, they resale for more. If you have the money to get the Dmax, get one. Than after you have driven it for 6 months tell us if you would ever go back to a gas HD truck. You might but, I bet you won't. Good luck with what ever you pick, I like all of the big 3 diesels. Which one I get next will be only based on what I think is the best deal, cost and trade in allowance.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #13
x96mnn

2015 Silvaerado HD - Gas or Diesel

From what you list, I would stay with the gas if you plan to trade again in 3 yrs. making the assumption you live in the US where diesel is more expensive doing math it would be close. Now if you are financing and paying interest on an extra 9k that would add another reason to go gas.

I look at the diesel both as personal preference and long term investment. I bought a diesel and love it, but plan to border line run it into the ground. A 16yr old diesel in ok shape, 200k miles on it will get you 12 to 14k depending on options. Same truck in gas you would be lucky to get 2500 for it, most likely need to have a plow on it. At the three year mark your looking at and how you use it I think I would go gas.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:04 AM   #14
jsmith948

If you run the numbers - cost of fuel vs. fuel mileage - cost of maintenance vs. mileage, cost of purchase vs. trade-in - I think you will see your answer.
When pulling our 10,000 lb. 5er, we average 13.5 to 14mpg. $3.85/13.5=$0.285 per mile. Compared to 8mpg with a low-geared gas rig: $3.35/8=$0.418 per mile. Those numbers work for me

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #15
Learnites

I have the 2015 GMC Duramax / Allison combo and am impressed. Towing is night and day like everyone says. The truck is very quiet on the highway and is averaging 16.5 combination highway/city. On long drives with no load, I get 24mpg. Towing 14k lbs I get 10.5. Towing 6k I average 14.5 mpg. My favorite feature is the diesel braking. It works really well and I can not express that enough. I also installed the AMSOIL dual filtration system to greatly extend oil change intervals through oil analysis. If you swap out every 3 years, why not try the diesel?
2015 371 Fuzion
Hensley TS3 Hitch
Firestone Airbags
Learnites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #16
Hansel

I think you kinda answered your own question, too me the gas engine sounds more like what you need, but I think you want us too talk you into a diesel. If you are not towing allot then stick with gas, if you are going too start towing more then diesel.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:04 AM   #17
therink

I test drove a F350 SRW Lariat Powerstroke and GMC 3500HD SLT Duramax this past weekend. I'm a GM guy but wanted to give the Ford a try. The Ford may have a solid front axle but I did not like the way it handled or the seat.
Loved the GMC and Duramax. I have built my truck now just have to pull the trigger and order it.
Do I need dual alternators? Never had them with gassers so not sure what the purpose of 2 alternators is for.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:09 AM   #18
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
I test drove a F350 SRW Lariat Powerstroke and GMC 3500HD SLT Duramax this past weekend. I'm a GM guy but wanted to give the Ford a try. The Ford may have a solid front axle but I did not like the way it handled or the seat.
Loved the GMC and Duramax. I have built my truck now just have to pull the trigger and order it.
Do I need dual alternators? Never had them with gassers so not sure what the purpose of 2 alternators is for.
You don't need the dual alternators for normal everyday use/towing. The people who really need them are the ones that have additional batteries that run inverters for accessories in their truck. Usually guys that are using their truck for commercial use. They aren't a bad thing to have, but really an added expense that you don't need and IMO will not add to the resale value of the truck.

Some may argue that the dual alternators will help with charging the batteries in the camper. There is some merit to that, but I prefer to plug in or use a generator to charge them vs. using the truck. If you don't have a gen and plan to do a lot of dry camping, it may be a good thing to have.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:50 AM   #19
Learnites

If you are loading the SLT, just go all the way and order the Denali. When I bought mine a few months back it was only a few hundred dollar difference in price. With the Denali most options are included and I am anticipating a higher resale.
2015 371 Fuzion
Hensley TS3 Hitch
Firestone Airbags
Learnites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:50 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Dual alternators aren't needed for "most owners". Diesels almost always have a dual battery setup, but the single "heavy duty alternator" is all that's necessary to keep them charged and provide the same power to trailer battery charging as in a gas engine truck.

Where the dual alternators come in handy is low speed, high electrical use applications such as snow plowing, parking lot sweeper use, emergency truck applications like rescue, fire response, etc.

You may find trucks with them on the lot, usually because dealers order "spec trucks" that they think will sell in their area, or more often, especially at "Ford Company dealerships", it's because the assembly plant "miscalculated" the demand for specific options and had too many sitting in the shipping line, so they force shipped them to their lots because none of the dealerships were ordering what they "projected" to be in demand.

If you get them for "free" why not, but you'll never need them in almost any towing application.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote