Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
TMiniajluk

Leveling Truck & Fifth Wheel

Has anyone had to lift their 5th wheel to get it level with their truck? My unit already has its leaf springs on top of the axels and my truck is stock, but to high for proper distribution of weight to both axles. All the adjustments at the front of the unit and in the bed have already been used.
TMiniajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
GBHRPS

Can you give us the make, model, year and configuration of your truck? Hitch? Trailer model and year? Maybe someone can spot a fix if they knew more.
GBHRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Yes, some people have had to "flip" the axles on the 5th wheel to make both units level. With some of today's late-model pickups with their higher bed and bed rails, you cannot achieve enough clearance between the truck rails and the 5th wheel by adjusting the height of the hitch and/or the pin box. I am only guessing but it seems that the Ford box and rails are higher than other trucks. Adjustments in the hitch and/or pin box won't provide enough clearance for some units with certain vehicles resulting in the need to "flip" the axles which should produce the desired result of having both the 5th and the TV level.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
TMiniajluk

The truck is 2001 Dodge 2500 extended cab. The Hitch is a Reese 16 K and the Fifth Wheel is a 2004 Cougar 245. I don't believe flipping the axle will help because the springs are already on top of the axle.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

I don't have that problem with a similar set-up so I will assume you have a 4x4. I believe a spring shop can put blocks under the springs or weld longer shackles on the frame. I raised my trailer about 1in. when I went to 16in. tires. The taller, narrower tires seem to tow much better and their not made in China. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
TMiniajluk

Thanks for your thoughts Hank, yes the truck is a 4 X 4, which is most likely why I am in this situation. My concern is which method of elevating the 5th wheel is the safest and how high can I go.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

I would think longer shackles are probably the safest as long as you don't go too high. Looking into a lower profile tire on the truck may be an option also .... or lowering the trucks suspension a little. .... Just thinking out loud.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:51 AM   #8
deadeye

Our set up is a little nose high. I weighted the unit and found only 110 lbs difference between the 2 axles. Both were within the maximum allowed weight. Before spending any money I would get your unit weighed. If you are within the allowed weight, the nose high config will not handle any worse then level.
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
TMiniajluk

Thanks for all your input. I have decided to replace the existing leif spring package with a heavy duty set which is taller in its stack and has more arch and to replace the shackles as well while we are in their with longer ones. With both those upgrades it should all ride straight. Thanks!