Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2022, 06:30 AM   #1
jvbutter01

Trip prep Lug nut torque

hello all,
I come from the auto industry. When installing new rims on a car/truck, we always tell the owner to come back few days later and have us retorque the wheels.

I just got a "RV news tip" email. it was telling the readers to recheck torque each trip you make. Why? do they loosen up more than autos do? i never check my truck or SUV before i drive it
Old 08-05-2022, 06:47 AM   #2
CWtheMan

The Keystone generic owner's manuals improve each year. In the 2023 issue referenced below you'll find the lug nut story starting on page #22.

https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...l_2023_web.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:51 AM   #3
markcee

In the posts I've seen here, some people do it religiously, others rarely, if ever check. I am sorta in between. If on an extended multi-day/week trip, I will visually inspect tires/wheels every day and check torque every 4 days or so of travel. I also follow the 3-stage torqueing described in the manual whenever removing a wheel.

Here is an excerpt from the Keystone owner's manual:

The axle and wheel assemblies of your RV are designed differently than those on your car. The overall size, weight and center of gravity of a recreational vehicle subject the wheels to pressures unique to trailering. During normal cornering, the tires and wheels experience a considerable amount of stress called “sideload”. Therefore, the lug nuts on your recreational vehicle require periodic torque maintenance.

These instructions will show you how to maintain proper lug nut torque by
following these important steps:

1. Check torque before every trip.
2. Use proper tools.
3. Follow the appropriate star pattern sequence.
4. Torque lug nuts in the correct stages and follow-up
intervals after any wheel reinstallation.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:24 AM   #4
travelin texans

For 40+ years I've done it as mentioned just like my vehicles, torqued when reinstalling the wheel then again in a couple hundred miles & not again til wheel is removed again, right or wrong but it's worked for me all these years.
I've seen those that do it EVERY time they stop, which is not a good idea when everything is hot, & have either crushed the lug nut through the wheel or broken the lug bolt off or both.
There is a proper procedure for retorqueing, it's not just get out & give it a few more clicks, that most don't know & don't do, Google or Utube the proper procedure.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:26 AM   #5
jvbutter01

thanks all for the reference. Never thought about the trailer being oversized compared to a passenger car / LT truck. I still would like to see the engineering behind it. Might be time to get a good torque wrench. My current model is older and cant tell you last time it was calibrated.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:42 AM   #6
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbutter01 View Post
thanks all for the reference. Never thought about the trailer being oversized compared to a passenger car / LT truck. I still would like to see the engineering behind it. Might be time to get a good torque wrench. My current model is older and cant tell you last time it was calibrated.
Can't beat this one from Harbor Freight, IMHO.

Works great and only $22.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:28 PM   #7
wrvond

My last TT purchased new in 2012 had instructions to torque then re torque a certain number of miles later but nothing more than that. I never checked them after that initial requirement was met and never had a problem. But when I was in the Navy, one thing that was drilled into us was that every procedure was written in blood. In other words, if there was a procedure that said check the torque every 500 miles, you could bet somebody lost a wheel (or something) at 600 miles (or similar). So now I've got a camper that has different requirements for checking lug nut torque. I've got several good torque wrenches and it's an easy thing to do on a camper. I'm down there checking tire pressure before each trip anyway.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:37 PM   #8
HouseMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post

I have this one and have been using it for years.... Very good product.
HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:58 PM   #9
wrvond

For the most part I have been underwhelmed by Kolbalt tools from Lowes, but I did purchase an electronic torque wrench there about six years ago that has worked really, really well.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:04 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post

Been using mine from HF for 25+ years & have never lost a wheel.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:45 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Been using mine from HF for 25+ years & have never lost a wheel.
And I’ve been using mine for over 20 years building engines, haven’t had a customer come back.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:51 PM   #12
Fish-a-Palooza

I too come from automotive and I agree on checking lug torque again when installing a wheel. I have in the past broken wheel studs because of side load due to the lug nuts being loose.

Almost every post has said they re-checked torque at some point. no one has said they needed to re-torque. So has anyone found lug nut torque lacking? How much and how often?

2022 Montana 3231CK, 12770 lb GVWR, 3910 lb Cargo
2020 F350 FX4, Crew, 8 ft, SRW, 6.7L, 10 Spd TX, 4177 lb P/L, 22K 5er towing, Anderson Ultimate Hitch.
Fish-a-Palooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 04:05 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

I also use that HF torque wrench successfully for years. In the past I was anal about checking lug nut torque. I say in the past because for the last few years I've either become lazy or realistic depending on perspective.

Background: "back in the day" I was somewhat of a gear head, at least before marriage & children. '72 Grand Torino pulling a 22' jet boat with an Olds 454 on a trailer painted to match with matching wheels with the Torino. Yes, terribly overloaded but the aftermarket stereo did The Who justice.. Anyway, back then the aluminum wheels seemed to require torqueing after wide temperature changes, hard driving, etc. The motions became as second nature as washing the vehichles.

FF a few decades: I noticed that the wheel torqueing that had invaded my DNA wasn't necessary. I realized that after an initial install and 50 to 100 mile check the wrench just clicked indicating no backing off of the nuts. I suspected my wrench was out of spec. Checked it against a freinds calibrated and certified wrench and mine was "close enough". Still warey I used witness paint and sure enough, no movement. The alloy wheels of today a far different than the aluminum wheels of days gone by. Just my observations, YMMV.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 04:27 AM   #14
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-a-Palooza View Post
I too come from automotive and I agree on checking lug torque again when installing a wheel. I have in the past broken wheel studs because of side load due to the lug nuts being loose.

Almost every post has said they re-checked torque at some point. no one has said they needed to re-torque. So has anyone found lug nut torque lacking? How much and how often?
My camper was built February of this year and I purchased it new in Michigan. I didn't check the wheel torque when I towed it home, but before we left on our first trip to Tennessee I checked them and found they took about 1/8 turn to tighten to spec. When we got back from Tennessee I checked them again and they took about 1/16 turn. I took the camper to a local campground (about two hours each way) and checked them upon my return and they took about 1/16 turn to return to spec. I don't think we've gone anywhere since but I did put new tires on so when we do go next I'll put the torque wrench in the floor of the back seat and check them at the recommended distances.

Old 08-14-2022, 07:36 AM   #15
captainbillyw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbutter01 View Post
hello all,
I come from the auto industry. When installing new rims on a car/truck, we always tell the owner to come back few days later and have us retorque the wheels.

I just got a "RV news tip" email. it was telling the readers to recheck torque each trip you make. Why? do they loosen up more than autos do? i never check my truck or SUV before i drive it
Same here! I check and rotate tires annually and use to check the torque but found none of the nuts over the last 15 years have ever loosened.
captainbillyw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:57 AM   #16
bsmith0404

I used to torque them before every day of towing. Guess I just got into the habit after transporting and being part of the daily check for the log. Now I just check them at the start of each trip as part of my pre-trip check. What’s the difference? This last trip went over a 30 day period with 6 different days of towing. In the old days I would have checked them 6 times, now, just once. I’ll confess, I did recheck them at one point, guess old habits die hard, didn’t need it.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:44 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

I think checking lug nut torque, and the need for it, depends on some variables. When I had a 1/2 ton truck with 20" OE wheels with over a 1k tongue weight bumper pull I checked the truck and trailer every day of towing. The trailer never loosened, the truck did after every towing day - not a lot but below what I torqued before I departed. I blamed it on the big 20" wheels and the fact I was so heavy on the tongue plus 200lbs. over payload...and it being a 1/2 ton. Don't know how far they would have loosened but assume it would be progressive after each trip. Upgraded to a HD truck with 20" wheels (heavier tires) and never loosened again for the next 5 years. Just something to think about and be aware of.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:52 PM   #18
rlh1957

All fasteners can and do loosen or settle. Re-Torque as well as inspection for cracks, wear or stress is always advisable.
RV’s can have screws, nuts, bolts, nails, glue and fasteners loosen or give way
from the constant mini-earthquake going down the road.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 02:32 PM   #19
Andymil

Quote:
We got a new TT in 2016 and when I checked the lug nut torque after getting it home, I found one nut on one wheel would turn a little before the torque wrench “clicked”. It happened three times (each after a trip) before there was no movement of that nut when checking the torque. My guess is that the stud wasn’t pressed in completely at the factory.
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 02:52 PM   #20
Life-in-Him

Quote:

Steel wheel vs Aluminum vs Magnesium?
I've torqued & not torqued all 3 over the years but found some differences.

Regardless, some t-wrenches must have the springs unloaded to stay semi-calibrated. Especially cheep (HF type like I use) Otherwise the constant spring compression & low quality steel degrades.
I recalibrate mine on my son's equipment (he's s heavy equipment mech) every time we're near him.

Out of curiosity I left one of my HF units with him under 140# for 3 months while we were gone 1 time. It dropped from 140# to 130#. So I unload them every time now.

Another thing he taught me is about solid or "shelled" lug nuts. Those with chrome covers seem to need tightening more often. After replacing the shelled nuts with solid but chromed ones, they don't need torqued as often. Likely the covers get in the way of an accurate reading? Who knows.

I torque mine if we've been pounded to pieces by potholes or about every 1-2k miles. Not much difference @ every trip? Do as manuals say?
Tire pressure? Before every trip (we're FT & move every 3-5 days)
Sorry for being long winded.
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote