Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2022, 03:45 AM   #1
madweazl

Didn't make it far...

We picked up what looks like a chunk of metal in one of the tires day one so it's making the decision to upgrade the tires that much easier. We have a Cougar 316RLS with the 235/80/16s and I was wondering if there was adequate spacing between the axles to jump up to an 85 series tire (rear levelers quit working so it's currently in the shop). I'm reasonably certain they'll fit without issue but not sure if I'll be able to squeeze the X-Chocks in there.

I'm looking at the Goodyear Endurance 85 series; it is advertised at 31.7" vs the OEM Raineers at 30.8". I'm wanting to go a bit taller so I can offset some of the rake we have on the trailer since we're nose high a good bit. I'm hoping to make up the rest of it by replacing the B&W gooseball (love it) with something like the Reese Elite (looks like there is at least an inch and half difference between them).

Rear bags are slightly under-inflated on the truck so it didn't exacerbate the issue.
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:08 AM   #2
jasin1

I thought about going to that same tire but ended up going with the Carlyle radial trail hd of the same oem size because my wheels ( yours probably as well ) won’t support the added psi

I’d get yourself a tpms system
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	758410E9-C012-401C-9838-0C9992740C7A.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	39355  
Old 04-20-2022, 04:17 AM   #3
madweazl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I thought about going to that same tire but ended up going with the Carlyle radial trail hd of the same oem size because my wheels ( yours probably as well ) won’t support the added psi

I’d get yourself a tpms system
They are load range E at 80psi like the OEM tire. I picked up the Tire Minder setup but didn't have a chance to install since it happened on the way home from the lot LOL. I need to swap to metal valve stems anyways so not the end of the world (and thankfully it was a slow enough leak that we made it home without issue).
Old 04-20-2022, 04:36 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
They are load range E at 80psi like the OEM tire. I picked up the Tire Minder setup but didn't have a chance to install since it happened on the way home from the lot LOL. I need to swap to metal valve stems anyways so not the end of the world (and thankfully it was a slow enough leak that we made it home without issue).
Yep your right I see they are 80 psi..I looked at a few different tires and I was thinking about going up a load range..I originally was going for the endurance in same size but the load capacity was less then the oem so thought about the 85’s and there was a discusssion on the forum about that …maybe it was the sailun that were higher psi?
Old 04-20-2022, 04:38 AM   #5
jasin1

I have basically the same trailer and If I were you I’d think about the extra ac unit for the bedroom…I had mine installed by the dealer at the last minute and I’m glad I did because even with two units it still gets a little warm on really hot days in the living/ kitchen area
Old 04-20-2022, 04:42 AM   #6
madweazl

Quote:
Yep your right I see they are 80 psi..I looked at a few different tires and I was thinking about going up a load range..I originally was going for the endurance in same size but the load capacity was less then the oem so thought about the 85’s and there was a discusssion on the forum about that …maybe it was the sailun that were higher psi?
I spent countless hours looking at tires yesterday and finally just decided to stick the load range E tires. If the Goodyears are problematic, I'll looking into a 17.5 conversion down the road. This is actually the first tire issue I've had over the course of owning three trailers.

Edit: The 2nd a/c has crossed my mind; really not sure why they didn't order with that since it already had the 400w solar and king bed optioned out. Watched a few videos online and it looks simple enough to DIY so I'll probably go that route.
Old 04-20-2022, 04:47 AM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
I spent countless hours looking at tires yesterday and finally just decided to stick the load range E tires. If the Goodyears are problematic, I'll looking into a 17.5 conversion down the road. This is actually the first tire issue I've had over the course of owning three trailers.

Edit: The 2nd a/c has crossed my mind; really not sure why they didn't order with that since it already had the 400w solar and king bed optioned out. Watched a few videos online and it looks simple enough to DIY so I'll probably go that route.
It’s a nice trailer…I swapped out the king for a residential queen ..we love the difference it makes…plenty of room around the bed now..the ac install should be fairly easy..getting it tied into iN·Command might take some research…couple of guys on here know the process
Old 04-20-2022, 04:53 AM   #8
madweazl

Quote:
It’s a nice trailer…I swapped out the king for a residential queen ..we love the difference it makes…plenty of room around the bed now..the ac install should be fairly easy..getting it tied into iN·Command might take some research…couple of guys on here know the process
Yea, it is a little tight but my wife likes sleeping on the closet side so I can just stumble right in to bed. The extra width is a necessity since we have two Bostons and a Pug that are the equivalent size of three Mastiffs when they're in bed. We ordered a Brooklyn hybrid mattress that should be here tomorrow.