Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
mpoi

Finally upgrading.

Was towing a 2015 29rbk Cougar for the last two years behind a 2014 1500 Ram with airlift 1000s. I knew was pushing the payload of this truck, and we did pretty far trips with this set up. I upgraded the tires, and put airbags in the springs. Never took her to the scales to see my real weights, but i know i was pushing it.
So with the 2017 coming in, I just grabbed a new 2016 2500 outdoorsman with a 6.4hemi in it. Its coming pretty much loaded with trailer brake and all. Got what I think is a great deal on the truck and hoping a little piece of mind comes with the purchase.
Any opinions on this truck or any upgrades anyone thinks i should do? I am switching my new Lt tires off the 1500 and putting the P tires back on. Probably should remove the airbags too.
By far, this the best forum I've ever read. Thanks guys.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:18 PM   #2
tech740

Re: Finally upgrading.

You'll love the added stability, power and peace of mind. Maybe not the mileage so much though. If you use the truck though you'll enjoy the upgrade.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #3
Alpine

Sounds like a sweet upgrade you will enjoy!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You've made a good choice and I think you will be happy.

I've traveled the path you are and I think you'll find the 6.4 2500 is going to be just about right for what you're doing. My trailer is considerably heavier than yours and the 6.4 does a good job. You don't give the box size, cab size or ratio but whatever they are the specs on the truck should give you lots of wiggle room. And yes, towing with the 2500 vs the 1500 will feel much, much different and no more nagging worries about weights....you will get peace of mind.

You said it's an Outdoorsman "pretty much loaded" so I'm not sure what kind of upgrades you would want/need. I bought mine with the 8.4" entertainment center w/o nav. I added that via a simple software upgrade and seems like $375? It's definitely worth it to me. I'm a shorter person so I had them put the tubular step rails on. It's a HD 4x4 and sits pretty tall. You will like the brake controller. Take a few minutes to read the manual on the operation before you set it up. My other thought would be on the hitch. I have an Equalizer WD hitch and I had to buy a new extended shank for it because the 2500 sat so much higher than the 1500 and we couldn't get the trailer set up right. Does it have the Class V hitch?

You say you've already removed the LT tires and replaced them with the old P tires. You may want to sell them but I doubt they will fit the 2500. Same with the air bags. Airlift 1000s cost less than a hundred bucks and the work is installing them. Removing them would be the same. They won't fit the 2500 so unless you had another use for them I would leave them on it if it were me.

Just a few thoughts. Congrats on the new truck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
mpoi

Sourdough, your a great help. Thank you.
The truck came with 6.4 box with 4x4, electric brake and the 4.1 axle ratio. The tires are 18s off-road. I have 8.4 unconnected entertainment system, but probaby wont get the nav. Its a class V hitch.
With all that it mind, I have some questions. Should i replace those off-road tires soon as I plan on camping, or will they be ok till they wear out? My old truck had a class IV hitch and my equalizer was set up by the dealer(they did an excellent job). Can i get an adapter to class V- class IV, or do i need to get a new Equlizer? When you say "extended shank", do you mean a drop down, or just extended? This truck sits much higher then my old one. Iam debating on calling my dealership and having one the techs come and setting up my Equlizer hitch, or doing it myself. You can tell, the hitch is my area of concern between the two trucks. Lastly, Ive noticed on the 2500 Rams, the rear is still coil springs. I didnt think a heavy duty rig would use springs. Should I get airbags for the back again? Is there any fears of sway from rear like the 1/2 tons?
I ended up leaving everything on the old truck for dealer or the next guy to decide if they want to keep them. So he the air bags, brake controller and steps I just put on. Hope someone with TT grabs her up, she was a pretty sweet ride.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #6
mpoi

Found the adapter in the glove box for the class V hitch to class IV
Old 11-07-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoi View Post
Sourdough, your a great help. Thank you.
The truck came with 6.4 box with 4x4, electric brake and the 4.1 axle ratio. The tires are 18s off-road. I have 8.4 unconnected entertainment system, but probaby wont get the nav. Its a class V hitch.
With all that it mind, I have some questions. Should i replace those off-road tires soon as I plan on camping, or will they be ok till they wear out? My old truck had a class IV hitch and my equalizer was set up by the dealer(they did an excellent job). Can i get an adapter to class V- class IV, or do i need to get a new Equlizer? When you say "extended shank", do you mean a drop down, or just extended? This truck sits much higher then my old one. Iam debating on calling my dealership and having one the techs come and setting up my Equlizer hitch, or doing it myself. You can tell, the hitch is my area of concern between the two trucks. Lastly, Ive noticed on the 2500 Rams, the rear is still coil springs. I didnt think a heavy duty rig would use springs. Should I get airbags for the back again? Is there any fears of sway from rear like the 1/2 tons?
I ended up leaving everything on the old truck for dealer or the next guy to decide if they want to keep them. So he the air bags, brake controller and steps I just put on. Hope someone with TT grabs her up, she was a pretty sweet ride.
You found the Class IV to V adapter. Just put it in the receiver with a locking hitch pin and leave it.

As for the shank I am referring to "drop down". I had the regular shank and we could not get it set up correctly even at the bottom hole. The new shank, which was in stock at CW, extends the drop to facilitate getting the truck/trailer combo "level". I believe the cost of the new shank was around $297. I now have the original laying in the garage Setting up the hitch is something you can do, or let the dealership do it (RV). Make yourself familiar with the procedures and watch them like a hawk. I did not have the equipment at this house to torque the ball to 350 lbs of torque.

The springs are coil but very robust. They've not presented any issues with my trailer, again, considerably heavier than yours. I do not experience sway. If I were you I would not put any air bags on it until you take it for a few trips. I think you'll find you will be very happy. The 4.10 will make pulling your trailer a breeze in 90% of the situations you will encounter.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote