Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #21
mfifield01

Truth be told, that trailer won't be a problem. If you want to upgrade in the future, then it would be good to have a 3/4 ton truck.

I have about the same power (more than an F-250), but don't have any issues with my trailer.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:58 AM   #22
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
Truth be told, that trailer won't be a problem. If you want to upgrade in the future, then it would be good to have a 3/4 ton truck.

I have about the same power (more than an F-250), but don't have any issues with my trailer.
I suspect your 8 speed and 3.92 rear end give you a significant advantage over the Ford that was being considered.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #23
Mike484

When selecting a TV, bigger is always better. In our case, we already had a half ton truck and wanted to get a TT without having to buy a new truck too. This greatly reduced our options on the trailer, we had to stay light enough that the 1/2 ton could pull it. Now we have our RV, we will some day upgrade our truck for two reasons, better and safer pulling capacity, and it will also allow us to some day be able to upgrade our trailer. We have really enjoyed our trailer so far and do believe we will be wanting to upgrade in the future. If we were in the market to buy the truck before the trailer, we would have certainly bought at least a 3/4 ton so we would have a lot more options on what trailer we could get.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:46 AM   #24
Topglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreed456 View Post
Thank you all for your help. Looking at everything we have decided to pass on this truck and keep looking for the right F250 or something similar. Just doesn't make sense to stress over the weight so much, especially if it's the same engine more or less. Thanks again, I will let you all know when we find the right truck. Glad I found this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreed456 View Post
Thank you all for your help. Looking at everything we have decided to pass on this truck and keep looking for the right F250 or something similar. Just doesn't make sense to stress over the weight so much, especially if it's the same engine more or less. Thanks again, I will let you all know when we find the right truck. Glad I found this forum.
I pull our 2015 272bhs with a 07' F150 5.4 3v tow pkg 373 gears. I think the trucks pulls great. But the farthest trip we've been on is about 5 hours from lower Michigan to the bridge. I think it depends on what kind of camper you are full timer or weekend warrior like me.

If you're looking at Ford 250-350 I wouldn't buy anything but a 6.2 gasser unless you have really deep pockets or a very good extended warranty. If the 6.4 or 6.7 diesels take a chit and it will you have a very expensive yard ornament.

2015 Keystone Bullet 272bhs
Topglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:26 AM   #25
notanlines

Topglock, I read your post to my wife, we both laughed, and she looked at me and said " He is green with envy, isn't he?" Your day will come, my friend.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:43 AM   #26
mfifield01

It is a good question though, what issues do come up? It seems that the block itself is pretty reliable, but injectors and transmissions fail on diesel engines.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #27
Topglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Topglock, I read your post to my wife, we both laughed, and she looked at me and said " He is green with envy, isn't he?" Your day will come, my friend.
wrong my friend. If I wanted a diesel I'd have one... It just really gets to me every time this topic comes up people are ALWAYS shoving diesel down there throats.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #28
Topglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
It is a good question though, what issues do come up? It seems that the block itself is pretty reliable, but injectors and transmissions fail on diesel engines.
The problem is the new Ford diesels are throw away engines when they fail. All the new emissions on the 6.4 6.7 has made them unreliable. I have to believe one might stress over a $15-20k engine replacement. Here's a link to some pretty disturbing information.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #29
BlueThunder34

I think it's important to remember that ALL new diesel trucks are required to have the new emissions systems in place (DEF). The 6.7 had an issue with low pressure injectors that were replaced in 2015. Are there and will there continue to be issues with this or any other engine? Sure, but if you look into the majority of the horror stories most were not using the truck as built, many of them were running chips, intakes, exhaust, removing DEF system etc. Why some think they need to increase the power output of the modern diesels is beyond me. They are however the first to jump on the internet and point the finger at the manufacturer that their product failed.

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topglock View Post
The problem is the new Ford diesels are throw away engines when they fail. All the new emissions on the 6.4 6.7 has made them unreliable. I have to believe one might stress over a $15-20k engine replacement. Here's a link to some pretty disturbing information.

As with anything mechanical, if you "screw it up" and "abuse it" it'll fail sooner than if you use it properly.

I checked out your "youtube" video (it must be the truth cause it's on youtube) and then went to the actual website to get "the rest of the story"...

Check it out and you'll find that it wasn't a "Ford failure" that caused that diesel to self destruct, rather it was tuning, abuse, towing in "tuner race mode" and failure to (my words) "respect the mechanical limitations"... In fact, on the website, they say that "EVERY" catastrophic engine failure has been caused by "tuning" and "abuse".

Here's the link to the "real story": http://powerstrokehelp.com/6-7liter/...ne_failure.asp

As with anything "opinionated", we all have our beliefs. Whether or not there will be a "repeat of the 6.0 and 6.4 reliability" remains to be seen, but in 6 model years of use, the 6.7 has been a "reliable powerplant" (according to the diesel forums and truck/auto magazine reports".

As for "reliability issues" related to emissions technology, ALL "heavy duty pickups" have the same emissions requirements and all use the same technology, so that "reliability" affects all three US manufacturers as well as "import" manufacturers who are offering diesel engines in their trucks. Come to think about it, all diesels (even in SUV's and autos) use the same emissions technology. So, that part is a wash with any manufacturer.....

I well remember the same "arguments" and "frustrations" when the 1973 cars required "lead free gas".... "It'll burn up the valves" was the "frustration" and cause for many people not to buy a new car.... Sort of like your argument about not buying a diesel "because the emissions make it unreliable." ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote