Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
gregrc75

central vac and kitchen backsplash

In my Bullet Premier I did a couple of mods this week, it has been a long time!

I added the Dirt Devil Central Vac system under the bed. It works great.

In the kitchen I removed the wallpaper border and added Smart Tile. It is a lightweight peel and stick tile that is very realistic. It is glossy and 3D. Here are some before and afters.

Before:

After:

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrc75 View Post
Nice effect with the back splash. Can I ask about the cutting board / cover for your stove? Was that original equipment or did you add that later? Sure looks more functional than the light metal folder covers standard on most of the trailer stoves.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
gregrc75

Hi Tom,
I added the cutting board. I looked around at a few stores and I found this one at Walmart. It is a Paul Dean cutting board in the 20.00 range. I just added rubber feet so it fits snug in the stove top grill. It stays in place during travel and while I am using it for more counter space. I can post a pic of the bottom with the feet if you would like. Also, I used a couple of coats of butchers wax to give it a more finished look.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Hi Tom,
I added the cutting board. I looked around at a few stores and I found this one at Walmart. It is a Paul Dean cutting board in the 20.00 range. I just added rubber feet so it fits snug in the stove top grill. It stays in place during travel and while I am using it for more counter space. I can post a pic of the bottom with the feet if you would like. Also, I used a couple of coats of butchers wax to give it a more finished look.
Good Morning Greg,

If you could post pictures of the rubber feet you added, would be appreciated. Our Springdale has the same galley layout, very limiting on counter space for food preparation. We often lay the cutting board on the light metal stove cover, but not as stable as we'd like. Height of the dinette table is low, but certainly serves the purpose as a secondary area to work.

Thanks again.

Tom
Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
gregrc75

My Premier didnt come with a stove cover at all. Here is a pic with the feet. I measured them so they would fit snugly in between the grills and it is very solid. Later, I added 4 more feet, one in each corner, so if I were to put the cutting board down on a flat surface such as a table, it would be stable. With just the 4 feet as pictured it was wobbly on a flat surface but still stable on the stove.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 01-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
TomHaycraft

Quote:
My Premier didn't come with a stove cover at all. Here is a pic with the feet. I measured them so they would fit snugly in between the grills and it is very solid. Later, I added 4 more feet, one in each corner, so if I were to put the cutting board down on a flat surface such as a table, it would be stable. With just the 4 feet as pictured it was wobbly on a flat surface but still stable on the stove.
Easy enough! Yes, I looked at the picture first (never have been able to break myself of that habit! ) before reading the text. Saw the potential need for feet closer to the edge. Looks like I have a little project for Saturday.

Thanks again.

Tom
Old 01-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
justlkn

Looks very nice Tom! If you don't mind be asking. My wife and I are wanting to basically do the same in our kitchen but we have that border wallpaper also. How hard was it to remove and did it leave any type of residue? With it being on there it is messing up my mojo and I would like it gone...lol

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
gregrc75

The wallpaper was very easy to remove. All it required was a little heating with a hairdryer. Just heat it up a little bit And peel with your hand or a plastic putty knife. It left no residue at all and it came off in one strip. I did clean the wall first with a little bit of TSP And water before applying the tile.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 01-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
ocho nueve

Talking

The backsplash tile looks fantastic! I would like to look into this. Is Smart Tile the brand name? Where did you come across it?

Thanks for sharing!
ocho nueve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
justlkn

Quote:
The wallpaper was very easy to remove. All it required was a little heating with a hairdryer. Just heat it up a little bit And peel with your hand or a plastic putty knife. It left no residue at all and it came off in one strip. I did clean the wall first with a little bit of TSP And water before applying the tile.
Well I didn't get so lucky. I went outside and used a blow dryer to heat up the border and slowly removed it. Came off nicely but left just about all the glue on the wall. Anybody have any suggestions on what would be good to remove the glue without destroying the wall finish?

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocho nueve View Post
The backsplash tile looks fantastic! I would like to look into this. Is Smart Tile the brand name? Where did you come across it?

Thanks for sharing!
It is. Just google "thesmarttiles" and you will find it. Here is a hint, Home Depot is the only retailer that sells it in addition to the company itself. However, if you buy it for Home Depot it is free shipping if over 45.00. Also, they sell a 6 piece tile pack for the price of about 5 tiles. Each tile is about 10"x10" and easily cut with a knife. There is also an installation video on the smart tile website. I watched it about 6 times haha.

I actually first saw the smart tile in an Alpine 5th wheel at the Boston RV show a couple of weeks ago. It got me interested and started googling and searching until I coincidently came across it and recognized it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlkn View Post
Well I didn't get so lucky. I went outside and used a blow dryer to heat up the border and slowly removed it. Came off nicely but left just about all the glue on the wall. Anybody have any suggestions on what would be good to remove the glue without destroying the wall finish?
Oh no sorry it didn't work. Maybe some of that wallpaper remover in a spray bottle will work. I have also seen goo gone in a spray bottle, that may do the trick too.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
ocho nueve

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlkn View Post
+1 on the Goo Gone, or you might try Simple Green, or a citrus based cleaner first. Adhesives are a pain, no matter what you use.
ocho nueve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
suza

Quote:
In my Bullet Premier I did a couple of mods this week, it has been a long time!

In the kitchen I removed the wallpaper border and added Smart Tile. It is a lightweight peel and stick tile that is very realistic. It is glossy and 3D. Here are some before and afters.

After:

I "stole" your stovetop cutting board. I love it! In addition to adding counter space and serving as a cutting board, it gives a place to set things when I am loading and unloading the fridge. I purchased a maple pull out board from our old high school home ec room, at a school garage sale, for $5 (Probably one I used when I was in high school Installed the rubber feet - I used 4 at the outside corners, so it wouldn't be tippy when used as a cutting board, and 4 in the middle to keep it in place on the stove grate. It fits perfectly and gives a very custom look to my kitchen. Total cost was under $10. Thanks for the idea.

Regarding the Smart Tiles, this too was something I was excited about. However, I received them today and found a warning that makes me wonder if I can use them behind the stove. While the Smart Tiles website states the following:

Q : Can they be installed behind the range or stove ?
A : You can use them behind the range without any worries. The Smart Tiles are resistant to heat as well as cooking splashes.

it follows this answer with:

For gas ranges without a back control panel or metal lid, keep a safety zone of 15 inches (vertically) on the back wall to prevent any direct exposure to an open flame (see illustration A & B). We recommend the use of a stainless steel panel to fill that area.

15" is the height from the counter to the bottom of the vent hood - the entire wall behind the stove

How are your tiles doing? Have you had any problems with the flame issue? I really don't want to try these if there is any chance of a problem and I don't want to have to worry about them when I am cooking. They were too expensive.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
michol02

Nice mods gregrc75.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
BulletOwner1

gregrc75,

I also mounted a DD central vac in the motor home we had. I really liked it. But I mounted it in one of the storage compartments and opened the compartment to vent the exhaust air. Have you vented yours or do you find any problem with hot air being confined in that area? Looks like you could cut a hole and put a vent into the front pass through? If I'm looking at that correctly? I'm thinking of getting one for our Bullet and under the bed looks like a good place.

Richard
Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
diugo
Permanent User Ban

I mounted my central vac (a Eureka Yellow Jacket) in the high ceiling of the front-most storage compartment, which had an existing opening through which I ran the exhaust hose into one of the well-vented propane tank compartments.

Not venting the vac creates three problems: heat; reduced suction to due back pressure in a sealed compartment; and dust and other particles not trapped by the filter remaining inside the RV.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #17
Bushman512000

vac and stove top

I did a cen.vac install also easy install and the wife loves it. My stove top was a counter top extension the trailer came with We never used all I did was removed the hardware and installed 2 stops and the Wife likes the matching counter space for the toaster oven or electric fry pan or crock pot ...save the propane is our thoughts...You did a great job...are the tile plastic? Hope they do not melt just would be My luck ...Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #18
gregrc75

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
I "stole" your stovetop cutting board. Q : Can they be installed behind the range or stove ?

How are your tiles doing? Have you had any problems with the flame issue?
I am glad the cutting board worked for you. I use it the same way, as solid extra counter space. Very handy for loading the fridge.

The tiles are doing great. I read the warning as well and was weary but installed them anyway. They seem to be far enough away from the flame and heat. My guess is the adhesive would loosen or the tiles would melt from the heat. You could always lean a metal plate against the back when using the stove I guess! I have the camper in a campground for 6 weeks this summer and I have been practically living out of it and cooking alot. No problems what so ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletOwner1 View Post
gregrc75,

I also mounted a DD central vac in the motor home we had. I really liked it. But I mounted it in one of the storage compartments and opened the compartment to vent the exhaust air. Have you vented yours or do you find any problem with hot air being confined in that area? Looks like you could cut a hole and put a vent into the front pass through? If I'm looking at that correctly? I'm thinking of getting one for our Bullet and under the bed looks like a good place.

Richard
When I first installed it, the underside of the bed inflated like a balloon. I went to Home Depot and found a round plastic gutter vent, about 4" diameter. I cut a hole and adhered the vent in place and now it works much better, there is plenty of ventilation. I vented it on the side of the bed that faces the laundry shoot, so it isnt visable unless you lean over and look for it.

Thanks for the compliments!

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 07-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #19
suza

Quote:
The tiles are doing great. I read the warning as well and was weary but installed them anyway. They seem to be far enough away from the flame and heat. My guess is the adhesive would loosen or the tiles would melt from the heat. You could always lean a metal plate against the back when using the stove I guess! I have the camper in a campground for 6 weeks this summer and I have been practically living out of it and cooking alot. No problems what so ever.
I definitely won't install them, as originally planned, on the side wall next to the stove. It's pretty close to the left burner. So, you haven't had any problem with the adhesive loosening? Do the tiles get excessively hot to the touch during cooking?
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:12 AM   #20
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
I definitely won't install them, as originally planned, on the side wall next to the stove. It's pretty close to the left burner. So, you haven't had any problem with the adhesive loosening? Do the tiles get excessively hot to the touch during cooking?
I didnt do the side wall as well, I thought it was too close also. The back side they are fine and they dont even really feel warm when cooking.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA