Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #21
SkiSmuggs

Paint the back side of the pin white and the jaws yellow. That makes it easier to see that the pin flange is below the jaws and that the jaws are closed.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #22
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
It has a sliding bar. Attached is the info sheet on it. The green indicator is what we look for and it was showing.

http://www.huskytow.com/FTP/HuskyFea..._Hitch_hv.html
Sorry to hear about your mishap. They way you describe sounds like the 5th wheel was indeed hooked up too high. Looking at mine I believe the flange tripped the slide bar then the pin was resting on top of the slide bar...

The suggestions of painting the backside of the pin white is a good idea. It will certainly help with a visual inspection of the flange below the sliding bar. To be honest I have become to trusting of my sidebar being hooked up once I hear the sidebar slam.

As mentioned I have this style of 5th wheel hitch too with the sliding bar. I believe you also posted that the slide bar sticks even after oiling. Mine did too after a half dozen trips, I would eventually have to get out of the truck and "help" it close. About a year later when i was inspecting the hitch I noticed just a slight metal burr forming on the sliding bar edge where the pin sits. I gently took a grinding wheel to all four edges of the sliding bar. It instantly cured the issue and the slide bar now triggers as new on hookup.

In your case If the pin (and therefore all the pin weight) was completely resting on the sliding bar it could be slight bent causing the resistance in the sliding action. Could be just normal wear like i had too. The hitch dealer should be able to determine your issue or get a straight edge across the bar when closed see if it appears flat or otherwise.

Hope it all works out. A truck and 5th wheel has so many great benefits. I have had TTs for years and this is my second year owning a 5th wheel. They behave differently and they also have benefits for hook up. Don't be discouraged and get back up on the horse as they say. Many of us have a few mishaps along the way. I'm going to keep mine to myself and deny them even if anyone ever found out.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote