Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #21
RayM179

Unhappy Retirement Dream Now a Nightmare Thanks to Keystone

I feel your pain. We purchased our Sidney Outback 322 FRL in October 2011. This was our retirement dream, here is our nightmare list.

1) Curtain bracket screws not holding
2) Black tank gauge does not work
3) Gap between windows due to misfit screen (entertainment center) insects fly in and out at will.
4) Seam trim falling from ceiling
5) TV Antenna boot loose (temp Caulked)
6) Vent cover in bathroom minor water leak
7) Kitchen sink dropping & loosening from counter. No caulk in spots.
8) Broken 50 Amp cord was fixed with tape
9) Spider crack near fridge vent.
10) Roof seems to be loosening from the deck.
11) Cabinet doors on living room side above sink hinges falling off
12) Carpet needs to be replaces because of major water pump leak at back of rig. Rips in carpet near dinette slide.
13) Rubber seals on slides being chewed up every time slide comes in and out

Each of these problems my dealer has attempted to repair several times to no avail. Service Department tries hard but the young GM at my Camping World very smugly tells me this is New York you are not covered by the Lemon Law on a trailer. Yes I have called Keystone talked to a young lady named Christie who told me that the spider crack in the fiberglass was due to a bird and they were not responsible. Well I don't know how she could tell that over the phone. The service tech from the dealership said it was a poor attempt by the factory at a fiberglass repair. Well my fellow Keystone owners when I told the young lady I was not happy with Keystone Quality I was told that is why there are other manufacturers out there - for people like me. I guess her job doesn't depend on customer satisfaction. Please don't tell me I have so many problems because my trailer was built before or after a long holiday weekend. Non-caring runs from my Camping World GM to the people that listen to your pleas for help at Keystone. What happened to Customer Satisfaction and quality production.
RayM179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #22
azlee56

I would so fire a certain girl!

I know when we buy these and it vibrates on the road we end up having to fix things. Most of us buy them used and from dealers. The people probably trade them in cause they don't want to fix the little problems......the dealers might not be aware of them. I had 15 days buying this used one to find stuff, and boy did I hunt. I did buy an extended warranty that I will find out what that really covers (I know not cosmetic).

For me, if I sell this I will be upfront, as I was with the last one of what was wrong...or it will be fixed before we sell.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #23
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
Well, I bought a Cougar Knowing that it was not a top of the line unit. We love it, but yes, the cabinets are covered with a thin contact paper like material and it has minor problems (like screws and hinges coming loose) which crop up on a regular basis. There would probably be fewer of these if we had popped for a $70K trailer instead of the $28K model, but we just did not want to put that kind of money into it.

That said, if you keep after loose screws, broken door latches, shade anchors that pull out you will be a lot happier and less stressed than if you keep going back to the dealer with a bunch of small warranty claims. Of course, go back for big ones like AC or the fridge..

I have done a few mods to make life easier: I put shelves in place of that sleazy lazy susan, moved the power point from the back of the trailer to the side,added a AC socket on a seperate circuit to run a heater without blowing the breaker when the coffee maker comes on. I suppose I carry every tool invented and enjoy fixing things.

Enjoy the moment and don't sweat the small things, save your ire for the big ones.

Happy camping!

John
We recently had a cabinet door fall off due to the hinge screws coming loose. My first instinct was to fix it ourselves, but if these types of problems go unreported, they will only continue. I will contact our dealer to get the problem on record. We will be taking our Cougar in for a couple of larger issues, so I don't feel silly taking it in for something like a cabinet door. Our service department is very understanding takes a practical stance when addressing these smaller issues.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #24
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
Well, I bought a Cougar Knowing that it was not a top of the line unit. We love it, but yes, the cabinets are covered with a thin contact paper like material and it has minor problems (like screws and hinges coming loose) which crop up on a regular basis. There would probably be fewer of these if we had popped for a $70K trailer instead of the $28K model, but we just did not want to put that kind of money into it.

That said, if you keep after loose screws, broken door latches, shade anchors that pull out you will be a lot happier and less stressed than if you keep going back to the dealer with a bunch of small warranty claims. Of course, go back for big ones like AC or the fridge..

I have done a few mods to make life easier: I put shelves in place of that sleazy lazy susan, moved the power point from the back of the trailer to the side,added a AC socket on a seperate circuit to run a heater without blowing the breaker when the coffee maker comes on. I suppose I carry every tool invented and enjoy fixing things.

Enjoy the moment and don't sweat the small things, save your ire for the big ones.

Happy camping!

John
Based on what I've read on this and other forums, I'm not sure you would have fewer issues with the $70K unit. Other than maybe nicer countertops, or better furniture, or a refrigerator with a stainless steel front, the components are going to be made by the same manufacturers and the trailer are built by workers on the same pay scale, so except for more living space, you probably aren't getting much more for your money.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #25
KJcachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Based on what I've read on this and other forums, I'm not sure you would have fewer issues with the $70K unit. Other than maybe nicer countertops, or better furniture, or a refrigerator with a stainless steel front, the components are going to be made by the same manufacturers and the trailer are built by workers on the same pay scale, so except for more living space, you probably aren't getting much more for your money.
perhaps with an Airstream things might be better. Other than that I am not so sure how different the construction quality will be from 1 plant to another.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #26
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
We recently had a cabinet door fall off due to the hinge screws coming loose. My first instinct was to fix it ourselves, but if these types of problems go unreported, they will only continue. I will contact our dealer to get the problem on record. We will be taking our Cougar in for a couple of larger issues, so I don't feel silly taking it in for something like a cabinet door. Our service department is very understanding takes a practical stance when addressing these smaller issues.
Susa -
Reporting something like loose cabinet door screws to the dealer and having them repair it, isn't really going to solve the problem. The problem, if there is one, isn't with the dealer.

If you think about it for a minute, the cabinet door hinge is attached with screws that go into a particle board cupboard frame. Particle board is notorious for not being able to hold a screw - especially if the RV and its cupboards are being subjected to bouncing and other stress while going down the road. If the unit wasn't moving, it would lessen the tendency for the screws to work loose and pull out. Even so, with the constant opening and closing of the cupboard door, particle board and screws just are not meant for each other. Eventually, some screws are going to work loose.

Part of the problem is due to over-torqueing on the assembly line but realize that these things are massed produced and they are not going to screw them in manually.

So who do you report this to? The dealerships - they didn't install the cupboards. So you can't fault them. Keystone? The guys on the assembly line ? Quality control? The doors were probably ok when they left the plant.

To me, loose screws in doors isn't a big thing and those in our unit that have worked loose, I just repair myself - knowing that they won't come out easily again! I'm not sure if the dealership would take as much time as I would to fix loose cabinet hinges - but who knows?
Old 09-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #27
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
perhaps with an Airstream things might be better. Other than that I am not so sure how different the construction quality will be from 1 plant to another.
I'm not even so sure about that. The same parent company owns Airstream that owns Keystone. If the bean counters in the top office is overseeing all of their satellite companies, all you may be getting with an Airstream is a flashy looking aluminum trailer.

I'm really thinking that the parent companies control the pursestrings and everything else. At one time I was looking at Prime Time trailers because I got drawn in with their ads about construction, quality control, and customer service. After stooging around reading different forums, It turns out that while Prime Time may be run by a bunch of executives that left Keystone, PT is parented by Forest River, who produces several brands of trailers. It appears the Prime Time products suffer from the same afflictions as the others. So, I go back to one of my previous statements, and that is, if you have a trailer with the bugs worked out of it, it suits your needs, and you are having to do little but routine maintenance and repairs, there's really not a good reason to go shopping for something new and shiney only to start over with the same set of problems, the same surly salesmen, and the same people in customer service who just want to get you off the phone.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 09-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #28
Dadstoy

We had some problems with our Springdale but our dealer has taken care of them. I agree with not blowing a gasket with your dealer or service people. They didn't build it. They just want to fix it. My dealer has two of my cabinet doors now to be replaced. One cracked and one warped. Keystone seems to be using the cheapest products they can find. After replacing our plastic out side door prop 3 times under warranty they agreed to a metal one that works fine and should have been installed at the factory.
Dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #29
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Susa -
Reporting something like loose cabinet door screws to the dealer and having them repair it, isn't really going to solve the problem. The problem, if there is one, isn't with the dealer.

If you think about it for a minute, the cabinet door hinge is attached with screws that go into a particle board cupboard frame. Particle board is notorious for not being able to hold a screw - especially if the RV and its cupboards are being subjected to bouncing and other stress while going down the road. If the unit wasn't moving, it would lessen the tendency for the screws to work loose and pull out. Even so, with the constant opening and closing of the cupboard door, particle board and screws just are not meant for each other. Eventually, some screws are going to work loose.

Part of the problem is due to over-torqueing on the assembly line but realize that these things are massed produced and they are not going to screw them in manually.

So who do you report this to? The dealerships - they didn't install the cupboards. So you can't fault them. Keystone? The guys on the assembly line ? Quality control? The doors were probably ok when they left the plant.

To me, loose screws in doors isn't a big thing and those in our unit that have worked loose, I just repair myself - knowing that they won't come out easily again! I'm not sure if the dealership would take as much time as I would to fix loose cabinet hinges - but who knows?
Points well taken.

What solution do you recommend?

Back the frame with "real wood" and screw the hinges into that?

Glue wood doweling into the original holes and drill for the hinge screws?

Other remedy?
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 09-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #30
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
Points well taken.

Other remedy?
I generally stick a wooden kitchen match into the hole with a little Elmer's wood glue and then re set the screw... holds about as good as anything else.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #31
jsmith948

Suza,
We use the method mentioned by Javi when we find stripped screws - somtimes use a round toothpick instead of a match. I like the idea of the wooden dowel - never thought of that. The dowel could be sized small enough to be hidden by the hinge. Then maybe a really small pilot hole to keep the screw centered in the diameter of the dowel - should work!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #32
Yosemitebob

Some of the things you mention the dealer should have caught and fixed, but other than that, just make up a list, give yourself a couple of trips or more, then take it back, but be ready for them to have it a few days. They will make it good. Keystone, like other manufactures go through a lot of employees. These employees are pushed (after a short learning curve) to get coaches and/or trailers out within a time frame, our they are replaced. So it is unfortunate, but things are missed over fear of losing a job. The manufacture is fully aware of this but for them it is sometimes cheaper to send out the coach and/or trailer, and have fixes done elsewhere rather than slowing down the line.

Make your list, it will be taken care of.
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #33
Bob Landry

For most production facilities, a 3% failure rate is acceptable. They figure it's cheaper to get it out the door and fix it later rather than slow production doing it right. Also, there's the possibility that because of possible circumstances, they may be able to blame it on customer neglect or abuse and they don't have to fix it at all. I also think that a lot of the problems are known by the workers when they create them, but keep working so as not to be the reason the line has to shut down. Production suffers a high employee turnover rate and most are there to get a paycheck. Sadly, corporate bean counters and shop foremen trump pride of workmanship.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 09-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #34
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I generally stick a wooden kitchen match into the hole with a little Elmer's wood glue and then re set the screw... holds about as good as anything else.
Thanks for the advice, Javi.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #35
goodic

Unhappy Bad decision

Wow, after reading the posts on this forum, I think I made a huge mistake
buying a Big Sky Montana (or any RV). When I retired I did not want the pain
of home ownership any more. Looks like I will continue to have pain.

We are full timers, that makes things a little more difficult when things break.
We had the trailer in the shop for 5 weeks waiting for parts from Keystone. I should have asked about parts availability -- my mistake.

I have a list of things that I won't list after reading these posts. Mine are minor. (current... a slide that won't extend the last 1/2 inch).

Does any one know if motor homes have the same maintenance problems due to
cheap materials ?? They certainly are not low cost.

...chuck
goodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #36
jsmith948

I would be concerned about your slide. If it Isn't going all the way out, it isn't contacting the seal and it could leak

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #37
vallboss2

I know exactly how you feel! I have decided to get rid of my keystone alpine.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #38
antiqfreq

Goodic,

No matter where or how you live there will always be repairs, replacements, maintenance, etc.

We have had our fiver since May 2007. I would never say it was a bad decision.
We did not have any major problems with it. And all minor ones we took care of ourselves.

Only thing a dealer ever did was repack our bearings when we were in Nebraska when we heard a noise........and he did it same day we brought it in.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #39
airforceret

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodic View Post
Wow, after reading the posts on this forum, I think I made a huge mistake
buying a Big Sky Montana (or any RV). When I retired I did not want the pain
of home ownership any more. Looks like I will continue to have pain.

We are full timers, that makes things a little more difficult when things break.
We had the trailer in the shop for 5 weeks waiting for parts from Keystone. I should have asked about parts availability -- my mistake.

I have a list of things that I won't list after reading these posts. Mine are minor. (current... a slide that won't extend the last 1/2 inch).

Does any one know if motor homes have the same maintenance problems due to
cheap materials ?? They certainly are not low cost.

...chuck
It doesn't matter what you buy, there are always some lemons that get into the market. I've known some Newmar owners that were absolutely fuming over their problem child motorhome, while others are extremely pleased.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #40
04z71

2014 266rls im done

ya ive decided to pay as much as possible on the trailer and in a few months get a forest river
04z71 is offline   Reply With Quote