Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
BigSur

Bullet Roof Question

This issue has been eating me up for a couple of days now. I decided to get up on my roof the other day for the very first time....I just wanted to check everything out and make sure everything is sealed up well. Needless to say, the roof on my new Bullet felt much less sturdy / more flexible than my old Jay Flight did. I tried as best as I could to stay on the studs and walk "lightly"....also stayed on my hands and knees a bit. However, I did NOT put plywood down or anything like that.

I was bothered by this b/c of the amount of flexing I observed. Also observed some significant audible "snaps" and "cracks". Almost sounded like I was doing some damage.

In any event, Keystone says it's okay to get up there and walk on foot. So does my dealer. On the other hand, there are MANY RV owners that NEVER do it and are very much against it. The opinions vary substantially. With that said, I wanted to post the question here, especially considering you are all mostly Keystone owners.....and maybe even quite a few Bullet owners here and there. Just curious if anyone thinks I've done any damage. My intentions from now on are to stay off of it, clean from the sides with a ladder, and put plywood down if I HAVE to get up there.

Thoughts???? Sorry for such a long post.
BigSur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
SteveC7010

There are already several threads on this exact topic, one of them within the last week or two. The issue has been pretty well discussed in those threads.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...highlight=roof

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...highlight=roof

Other threads about various aspects of roof maintenance include info on this as well.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
BigSur

Thanks Steve. I've pretty much figured that I need to be REAL careful any time I go up there, and next time I'll definitely be taking some plywood with me, that's for sure.

My only other question then would be.....IF I had done any damage to the roof, would it be visually noticeable? I think I definitely have less than 3/4" decking b/c it flexed a LOT. How would I know if I cracked any wood under the rubber?

Thanks again for the response. Happy Easter!!!!!
BigSur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
f6bits

I don’t think you’ll ever know if you damaged your roof. The roof is thick, so you won’t see anything on the inside of your trailer. The rubber up top is taut, so it’s not going to noticeably sag. In other words, as long as you don’t keep putting pressure on the possibly-damaged area, don’t worry about it, other than be gentle with it.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
Scottinvt

Our new Passport 235exp is the same way. I also spoke to my dealer And they said walk on the rafters only and that the cracking sounds are normal. Our Cougar was a lot stronger for sure !!
Scottinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:29 AM   #6
rhagfo

Our 05 Copper canyon has some give to the roof when walking on (190#), but not to the degree that I am worried that I will damage or fall through.
The spec. for this year is 3/8' Luan, so some give is expected.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote