Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
geo

Thumbs up Surge Guard Automatic Transfer Switch Installation

There have been many postings specific to the installation of surge protectors and automatic transfer switches as of late, so I will skip the usual details of installation.

Rather than accept Keystone's replacement for the Iota ATS, I decided to install a Surge Protector ATS 40250-RVC. This unit provides both the functionality of the automatic transfer switch and surge protection, plus it has an add-on remote that provides continuous monitoring of power. As it is an ATS, the 40250-RVC provides surge protection for both the shore power and generator power inputs.

In our Alpine 3640RL, the Iota ATS was located immediately behind the WaterWorks area. (Iota.jpg) In the picture, note the two Pex water lines resting on the ATS top and entering an access hole above the ATS. These lines are connected to the Black Tank Flush vacuum breaker located directly above the ATS. Once I had disconnected all power sources, I removed the Iota ATS cover to find sawdust covering the components and accumulated at the bottom of the case. (Inside_Iota.jpg) So, not only was the ATS located in an area that had a potential water problem, but the case was contaminated with sawdust which could lead to the failure of the ATS and possibly a fire. Another design item I noticed about the Iota ATS – one solenoid switch controlled both hot leads from both sources while the second solenoid controlled the neutral from both sources. I thought this a little strange since it could be possible to have, say, the shore power hot leads connected to the generator neutral during the transfer process!

I located the Surge Guard ATS in the area adjacent to the original Iota ATS location. This area would be outside the potential wet area behind the WaterWorks. Of course the Surge Guard ATS is twice the size of the Iota ATS, so some mounting modification was necessary. One design aspect of the Surge Guard ATS I really liked was the arrangement and technology of the connection solenoids. (Inside_40250.jpg) Note that all three leads (hot red & black, neutral white) from each power source are connected only by their selective solenoid switch.

During installation, I cut off the previously crimped ends of the wire ends, including ground, and stripped new connection ends. Once in place, I torqued each of the lug screws to the specified torque setting – red, black, white: 45 inch-pounds; ground: 30 inch-pounds. After a 30 minute adjustment, I retorqued the lug screws to the specified specs and found about half of them tightened further.

Once that was completed, I connected the cable for the remote and attached the front cover. (Finished.jpg) I attached Lexan clear plastic behind the Surge Guard ATS to isolate the utility basement from the storage basement. This allows me a small but "viewable" window into the utility basement area so I can "check on things" (like water connections) when ever I desire.

I mounted the remote in the Alpine's Control Center area. Somehow I had left just the correct amount of space to mount the unit between the tank heater controls and the switch for the basement warm air circulation system! (Remote.jpg) Immediately upon connecting the shore power, I found I REALLY liked the remote! Not only does it display the "power problems" if any, but it constantly flashes which power source is connected and the amperage draw of each hot line!

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Iota.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside_Iota.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside_40250.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Remote.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1173  

Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Geoffwhite18

Nice info. Your iota transfer switch has about 1/3 the wires mine does. Crazy.
Geoffwhite18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ats, surge guard, transfer switch