Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
turbopilot51

Alpine furnace issue

Our new Alpine 3500RE has an air flow issue with the furnace. The bedroom and and bathroom get very warm but the galley and living are noticeably cooler. I notice there is less air flow. I have had the rv checked out with the dealer and was told that the furnace is working correctly. Is there a way to increase airflow to the living room area and less heat to the bedroom/bathroom area?
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
geo

Turbopilot51 -

Had the same problem. I found that the incoming shorepower line was crimping the duct work in the lower basement. There's a post with pictures out on the Mods area. About a little more than a year ago. Others have found this same problem.

Ron
(sent from my phone)

Second post, third picture: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2001
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Turbopilot51 -

Had the same problem. I found that the incoming shorepower line was crimping the duct work in the lower basement. There's a post with pictures out on the Mods area. About a little more than a year ago. Others have found this same problem.

Ron
(sent from my phone)

Second post, third picture: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2001
Did you notice an improvement in airflow when you moved the shore power cord?
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
geo

Turbopilot51 -

Definitely! I had to use a couple of 3' lengths (or maybe about a meter length) of dowel or PVC to manuever the shore power cable and to move the duct pipe. The power cable was pressing more than half way into the flexile duct pipe. This is an insulated duct, so I would guess that the inner duct was probably just about closed. Once I moved the power line over (also arranged it from above reaching around the transfer switch) and got the U-turn of the duct "softened", I could feel very warm air coming from the rear heat vent. BIG difference.

When I replace the Iota transfer switch, I plan to move that shore power cable even more out of the way and get it totally away from the duct. In fact, I think most of the slack that is in the basement will be taken out by the re-routing of the power cable needed to come into the top of the new Surge Protector ATS. I can then reach back with my meter stick and round out the U-turn of the duct and probably even get a little more heated air flowing aft. I also know that another forum member, travelbugger, said that she discovered that the duct was somewhat constricted on a hanger back in the aft area. But I would recommend just taking off the storage basement wall panel right behind the WaterWorks, get the flashlight and lay down in the storage basement, and take a long peek through the lower basement area. It's easier. Even though we have different models, I bet there will be some similarities.

I also got the vents with the damper from CW for the bath and bedroom. That is a very short run from the furnace to the bed and bath, so even if it is through a smaller duct, there is less overall resistance.

And let us know what you find!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Turbopilot51 -

Definitely! I had to use a couple of 3' lengths (or maybe about a meter length) of dowel or PVC to manuever the shore power cable and to move the duct pipe. The power cable was pressing more than half way into the flexile duct pipe. This is an insulated duct, so I would guess that the inner duct was probably just about closed. Once I moved the power line over (also arranged it from above reaching around the transfer switch) and got the U-turn of the duct "softened", I could feel very warm air coming from the rear heat vent. BIG difference.

When I replace the Iota transfer switch, I plan to move that shore power cable even more out of the way and get it totally away from the duct. In fact, I think most of the slack that is in the basement will be taken out by the re-routing of the power cable needed to come into the top of the new Surge Protector ATS. I can then reach back with my meter stick and round out the U-turn of the duct and probably even get a little more heated air flowing aft. I also know that another forum member, travelbugger, said that she discovered that the duct was somewhat constricted on a hanger back in the aft area. But I would recommend just taking off the storage basement wall panel right behind the WaterWorks, get the flashlight and lay down in the storage basement, and take a long peek through the lower basement area. It's easier. Even though we have different models, I bet there will be some similarities.

I also got the vents with the damper from CW for the bath and bedroom. That is a very short run from the furnace to the bed and bath, so even if it is through a smaller duct, there is less overall resistance.

And let us know what you find!

Ron
Thanks for the information. I will do some investigating and let you know what I find.