Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2021, 06:58 PM   #1
NATAMES

Beware of the "Blind Appraisal" or "Blind Offer"

Title says it all. And that's exactly what it is. A Blind scam that butters you up to get your feelings hurt.. I purchased a new No Boundaries 19.6 TT yesterday. I brought my 2018 kz 181bh in for trade. My wife cried, she loved that camper and the memories ending at the hitch.

A week or so ago when I called to inquire about the new 2021 No Boundaries 19.6 I called the dealer to get some questions. They mentioned since a 2021 and new 2022 would be coming in, they are discounting it $6000 and some change. They asked about my trade in. I fell their short "Blind Appraisal" and I said this KZ 181BH is immaculate. They said well if it is as good as you say it is, we will give you $10k for it. I said yeah right. They said honest. The demand for used campers right now is red hot. I said ok so $10k is the retail or your offer? They confirmed $10k offer. I get there yesterday and let's just say they weren't impressed with my pampered camper. The salesman started pulling the flaking details off the slide. I said what in the hell are you doing? He said don't worry we are going to replace them anyway. Yeah well, it's still mine I said. They offered me $7,000 flat for it. I sais what the hell happened to $10,000? They said huh? That is the lowest retail value for it right now. Actually it's $10,600 in this condition.
So just a heads up, if they are gonna do a "Blind Appraisal," the value they offer you is a absolute lie that is looser than a mans butt after eating taco bell.
NATAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:04 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Always get it in writing....always. I do "blind appraisals" on vehicles and RVs, always telling them that I'm being taken to the cleaners for what I figure is their low bid (blind) and tell them to send that to me in writing....no caveats/exceptions. They always do it and sorry to hear yours went south on you.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

In many states the States Attorney's would consider that a "bait and switch". You know the old saying, If it sounds to good to be true that it probably is.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:42 PM   #4
NATAMES

Well to be honest, I wouldn't have believed it was worth $7000. If I saw that same camper on the lot with $7000 on the door, I'd talk them down to $4000. It was well taken care of. But, they depreciate so fast.
NATAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:05 AM   #5
JDDilly

I have had blind offers on many RVs. Once, the dealer tried to change the offer when I brought mine in to finalize the deal. I drove home with my current camper and walked away from the deal. Two days later the General Manager called and said they would stand behind what they offered. I told them no thanks, I went to a dealer about 250 miles away and ended up with a good deal.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:51 AM   #6
rwreuter

I did the same thing, with 2 exceptions:

1. I provided $500.00 earnest money, that held the camper

2. I sent them a ton of detailed pictures and answered any questions about any blemishes they pointed out from the pictures that I provided and I (not saying you did) ensured I didn't hide anything

The deal went through without a hitch, so well that I thought I should have asked for more. The only reason I didn't, was that they were giving me more than another dealer had offered me. The camper that I bought was in great condition minus a little gel coat oxidation on the front cap, which I saw from their pictures.
rwreuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:54 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

It's "underhanded" to offer someone a "blind trade purchase" and then back out of the deal once the customer pulls the trailer onto the lot (assuming no glaring defects were hidden by the customer).... I personally wouldn't trust that dealership to be trustworthy after that "bait and switch".... As for "picking decals off the sidewall, that salesman would be having his fingers reattached at the hospital unless he had already paid me for my trailer.....

That said, most dealerships work on a "profit per transaction" basis. They know what they need to make on the sale of YOUR new trailer and they know what they'll need to make on the sale of your old trailer. They have "two negotiating windows" when selling to you. The discount on the new trailer and the trade value on the old one.

If their wholesale/MSRP difference is the average 38% on new trailers from the factory and the MSRP is $60K, then that trailer likely cost them around 37K. The dealer can sell it to you for MSRP and make 20K in profit or "give you a great deal at 45K" and make 8K in profit.

On the "other end of that great deal" he can give you 12K for your trade and charge you 48K for the new one (to make up the difference on your trade's "real value") to he can give you 7K and make another 2 grand on the new trailer.....

What I'm getting at is there are two values in every trade. What the dealer gives you and what you give the dealer. It's all the "same pot of money" so depending on what numbers are put on each of the trailers is not important when it comes to how much the total transaction "end number" is....

Smoke and mirrors, just like the payload, maximum trailer capacity, tongue weight and shipping weight numbers that all the "advertising departments" play games with.....

It really boils down to "my trailer and XX dollars for that new one"... What the numbers on the sales contract really do is "deflate to save you sales tax or inflate to make money for the state treasurer....

It's all a "big magic act" until you get right down to "actual dollars that change hands.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote