Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2021, 07:43 AM   #21
jamtracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
So I wanted to update you guys. My family and I drove 4 hours one way to look at it because they said that there was absolutely no signs of water damage anywhere. That's why they were sure it was sun and not water. The entire front was soft on the outside. The storage passage through on the front was rotting, soft and cracking when I touched it. Inside on the inside of the closest by the queen bed was so thin that I thought I was going to put my hand through it. Several other places on the front had obvious water damage. The rest was in great shape. We didn't get it because they wouldn't go lower than 12000. I would have to completely replace the entire front and inside the closest and who knows what else. I was extremely upset they were not just honest with me when I asked if there was any water damage or signs of it. $150 later I'm back home with upset kids and no camper. They just kept saying how it had never leaked since they had it. Which might be true but it definitely had a huge leak before they got it. Anyways thank you all for your advice on what to check for. I have looked at several campers and used what you told me to inspect them. No luck in finding one yet that didn't have a good amount of water damage or issues that were not worth the price they were asking. Hopefully we will before summer is over.
I don’t think I would have bought that for 5K. Shame on them for not being up front. They are counting on someone who is desperate or ignorant to the fact that it will cost thousands to repair. Even for a good price I don't want to spend thousands to repair something that you never know will be right. I’m seeing more and more trailers for sale on line yours is out there.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:48 AM   #22
dutchmensport

I don't think it matters if it was caused by sun or water, it's damaged and if it's not fixed, it's only going to get worse. If the seller offered a massively reduced price, it might be worth it to invest some money to get it fixed. If the seller is not willing, then walk away, because you will have some time and expense invested in this camper to get it fixed. It's coming for sure if you take it.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:23 AM   #23
Mikelff

Quote:
So I wanted to update you guys. My family and I drove 4 hours one way to look at it because they said that there was absolutely no signs of water damage anywhere. That's why they were sure it was sun and not water. The entire front was soft on the outside. The storage passage through on the front was rotting, soft and cracking when I touched it. Inside on the inside of the closest by the queen bed was so thin that I thought I was going to put my hand through it. Several other places on the front had obvious water damage. The rest was in great shape. We didn't get it because they wouldn't go lower than 12000. I would have to completely replace the entire front and inside the closest and who knows what else. I was extremely upset they were not just honest with me when I asked if there was any water damage or signs of it. $150 later I'm back home with upset kids and no camper. They just kept saying how it had never leaked since they had it. Which might be true but it definitely had a huge leak before they got it. Anyways thank you all for your advice on what to check for. I have looked at several campers and used what you told me to inspect them. No luck in finding one yet that didn't have a good amount of water damage or issues that were not worth the price they were asking. Hopefully we will before summer is over.
Better to spend $150 and not buy a damaged piece of junk. That seller will have a hard time selling that trailer, and eventually, will lower his bottom line price, but you probably don’t want it at any price. As a new to RV owner, you want something in good condition that you will have an overall good experience with. Unless you are real handy at fixing things yourself, you need something in good condition. RV repair centers are backed up for weeks/months repairing and servicing RV’s. They can’t handle the volume of business they currently have, so you have to get in line. You made the right choice, especially as you are new to The RV world. Keep researching for information on this forum. Keep looking and BE PATIENT! Take your time and get the RIGHT deal and trailer for you. If not this season, than next. I looked for a little over a year before I bought mine. I bet I turned down over a half dozen rigs before finding the one I bought. Good luck in your search and let us know how we can help.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:31 AM   #24
bbells

Unfortunately, I discovered the hard way a couple things. 1) The back isn't glued on securely. 2) That type of siding delaminates due to very cold nights and warmer days. I live in Minnesota and it did not last even one winter. There was no water leakage anywhere. It is unrepairable, per my dealer. 3) Since I went back to metal siding I stopped having problems. Moisture or very cold temps or very hot temps break these down no matter what the mfr says.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:52 AM   #25
dkluth

I would not touch it

Keep shopping and run as fast as you can that is definitely water damage the sun has nothing to do with it they are meant to be in the sun it is on the front and the back last time i checked we do not have two suns
dkluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:28 PM   #26
rhagfo

Quote:
To the OP, no matter how far you travel to find the right one NEVER BE AFRAID TO WALK AWAY!
Looking for a horse trailer for DD we drove to Yakama, Wa. from Portland about
200 miles, not worth what they wanted, not what fit DD needs. The guy was shocked when we said no thanks.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote