Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2020, 07:46 AM   #1
flash

2013 laredo 240 mk

last trip we had some problems with over head lights dimming but not going out and ac would shut down, lights would then brighten up and ac would start back up. after reading up on it figured it was the converter?? pulled the panel and found the converter. think this could be our problem? found the exact one on amazon but thought i`d ask here before ordering. a hello to everyone, been awhile since i`ve been on. hope everyone is stay safe!!~ Flash
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:30 AM   #2
travelin texans

Some of that dimming is normal depending on the 12 volt load at the time &/or could be weak batteries trying to keep charged. How old are the batteries? If nearing 5 years they're due to be replaced. When did you check or top off the cells with distilled water last? Are they true deep cycle batteries? If there's a number followed by CCA or CA they are not, amp hours (ah) should be followed by a number to be true deep cycle suited for RVs.
As for the ac it's 120 volt so not related to the converter & suddenly stopping sounds to me the shore power may be more of an issue than the converter.
Do you have a EMS, not a surge protector, connected to your incoming shore power? If not that would be the first item on your list to purchase sooner than later. It protects your coach from about every known power related issue & will shut it down before damage can be done.
Check some this stuff before dropping money on converter unnecessarily.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:15 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Danny has pretty much nailed it. You can test the converter using a Volt/Ohm meter. Plug into shore power and check the DC volts at the battery(s), should be 13VDC at least. You can load test your battery(s) and if you have 2 with 1 showing weak replace both of them.

You do need 12VDC at the thermostat to operate the AC, could be related.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:36 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I had pretty much your same issue. It was a bad battery cannibalizing the good one. Replaced them both and problem solved.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I'd guess the battery has a shorted cell and is only taking a "top charge". The battery charger (in the converter) "sees" the battery as fully charged and shuts off. With very little load the battery quickly discharges and goes dead causing the charger to come on again.

Remove the battery ground cable, wait about 30 min then check the battery voltage.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
flash

thanks everyone! ill go over the camper a little more as to your writings. if i may, what would be a better battery?? i`ve had a deep cycle interstate thats two years old in her for a couple of years with no problems. i did throw the charger on it a about an hour ago, it was at 68% turned it off at 945% just now. again thanks!!
Old 08-19-2020, 01:24 PM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
thanks everyone! ill go over the camper a little more as to your writings. if i may, what would be a better battery?? i`ve had a deep cycle interstate thats two years old in her for a couple of years with no problems. i did throw the charger on it a about an hour ago, it was at 68% turned it off at 945% just now. again thanks!!
Take that battery to your local auto parts store where they'll load test it free for you.
If bad replace with a group 27 or 31 deep cycle battery of your choice, check post #2 as to how to tell a true deep cycle battery. If you have 2 have both tested & replace both if necessary. Never replace only 1 in a pair, the old one will canabalize the new one shortening it's life.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:11 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
How do you use your camper? Do you dry camp (stay in Walmart parking lots) or do you always stay with electrical hook ups? How many batteries do you have now and do you have the room for a larger battery or room to add a second one?
Old 08-20-2020, 02:18 AM   #9
flash

flybouy we never dry camp, always state parks. usually six weeks or so a year. our rig is parked here at the house and hooked up to power, durning the summer its very humid here and i run a dehumidifier daily. most days it pulls 1/2 gal. it has one battery with the switch that we turn off. we bought new in 2013 and like i wrote earlier replaced the battery two years ago. Ill get back to y`all later today.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:14 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
flybouy we never dry camp, always state parks. usually six weeks or so a year. our rig is parked here at the house and hooked up to power, durning the summer its very humid here and i run a dehumidifier daily. most days it pulls 1/2 gal. it has one battery with the switch that we turn off. we bought new in 2013 and like i wrote earlier replaced the battery two years ago. Ill get back to y`all later today.
The bolded part is why the battery would only last 2 years if it's a factory installed battery disconnect. The factory installed switches do not COMPLETELY disconnect all parasitic drains. The CO/LP leak detector, radio memory, and other 12v DC parasitic loads (depending on model & options). Typically it can drain a battery down Inna week. The only way to completely disconnect the battery is to remove the neg cable from the battery post or install your own disconnect on the negative side of the battery.

Running a dehumidifier has nothing to do with the battery as that is a 120v ac appliance. I would suggest if you are replacing the battery to get the largest deep cycle that will fit in the battery box. If you always camp with shore power (120v ac) running to the camper then the demand on the battery should be low.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:49 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

If you're turning the disconnect off most of the year and not disconnecting the battery you are probably killing the battery. I keep mine plugged in year round (except when in the shop) and leave the disconnect on. I just check the water levels periodically. If you want it disconnected, completely disconnect it and remove it and put a battery tender on it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:34 AM   #12
flash

morning guys. ok, did a little test this am. unplugged the rig from the power source, turned on the battery and had the wife turn on the bathroom light, then plugged in the power and the light brightened. does this mean the converter is working?? like i said earlier i had charged the battery to 94%. i`ve left the disconnect on and running across the river to do some errands, be gone a couple of hours and will check and see if the battery has taken a charge. would that be enough time for it to see a change?? i really want to thank everyone for the help. scott
Old 08-21-2020, 06:41 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

The bathroom light is not a test device. By a simple volt ohm meter, they can be obtained for $10. Disconnect the battery cable. Check the voltage on the battery. It should be above 12 volts. Connect to shore power, check the battery cables (still disconnected and positive cable kept away from trailer frame) and check voltage. That should be above 13 volts.

Any auto parts store that sells batteries will load test the battery for free.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:22 AM   #14
flash

ok flybouy will do. thanks.

Tags
laredo