Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #21
Papa of 7

Main panel in the RV.
Papa of 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #22
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa of 7 View Post
Well you guys are great! I took the panel face off, two neutral wires were loose, one turned maybe a half turn, one a complete turn, and one was over tighten enough that it was cut into, it was laying on the ground bar, I guess messing with it allowed it to get a connection. These were all the white wires. Everything is tight now, hot side to the breakers were all tight. All of the heavy wires were tight, I even checked all the 12v connections. I believe you have saved the day, or week in this case. Thank you so much!
A real EMS like Progressive Industries would have told you via an error code. That is why we recommend them over a fancy surge guard.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #23
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
A real EMS like Progressive Industries would have told you via an error code. That is why we recommend them over a fancy surge guard.
I totally agree with the absolute necessity of an EMS, but if I'm reading correctly where his issues were found/solved was after the EMS, either hardwired or portable, in the breaker panel so it wouldn't have detected any problems.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #24
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I totally agree with the absolute necessity of an EMS, but if I'm reading correctly where his issues were found/solved was after the EMS, either hardwired or portable, in the breaker panel so it wouldn't have detected any problems.
I may be wrong (and will contact PI to check) but I think that is one of the key benefits of an EMS, it checks the output as well as the input.
In any case they are still a mandatory addition to an RV to protect against all the problems that RV parks have.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:58 AM   #25
Papa of 7

I got the Southwire EMS on Monday just as I was about to leave for the campground, hooked up and working fine.
Papa of 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:37 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
I may be wrong (and will contact PI to check) but I think that is one of the key benefits of an EMS, it checks the output as well as the input.
In any case they are still a mandatory addition to an RV to protect against all the problems that RV parks have.

Check with them but I'm rather sure the EMS only checks the condition of the incoming line. That is one of the reasons folks like the hardwired units inside the trailer is because it then checks the incoming cable and connections. One of the selling points of the new Southwire SurgeGuard 34951? is that it is the only EMS that checks for an open neutral? beyond the EMS unit. (those statements are made from memory without going back to check, but, I have been looking them over in the anticipation of getting a new Surge Guard with the wireless remote).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote