Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
byoungblood

Locating Outback exterior wall studs

I'm trying to add a shelf to my Outback to place a small amp and speaker set on in lieu of the awful "sound system" that came with my 2013 Outback.

I've tried everything I can think of, stud finder, knocking on the wall, pushing on the wall, and I can't find anything behind there. Tried to reach out to Keystone to see if they had any plans, and they just generated about half a dozen excuses as to why they couldn't provide them.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Being the 1st of August in the South, the "look outside on a cold day" trick isn't an option for a few months.
byoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Instead of going to that trouble why don't you just replace the speakers and receiver? Then the only thing common with the old system is the wiring...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
byoungblood

It is what I have. I build my own stereo gear and I have a small bookshelf amp I brought along with me, along with some speakers that are a heck of a lot better than anything I could replace these ceiling mounted ones with.
byoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
FlyingAroundRV

You could try a metal detector. The frames in the Outbacks are aluminum and a metal detector might do the trick.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
mwemaxxowner

I'm with you. I like to use a sound processor and amp also myself. You just aren't going to get the sound quality and the depth without them.

So, I understand the desire. I try to look for Staples in the luan, in conjunction with tapping the wall. At some point you just have to make a good guess and drive a screw in, or perform a little surgery if you care enough to do it.
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Where are you trying to mount the shelf? If it's on an outside wall or on the front or rear wall of the trailer, there isn't much of a "conventional stud structure". The studs are placed "very unevenly" by repeated measurements. There is no 16" or 24" on center repetition sequence. Studs are placed where engineering indicates a need in that area. So you may have a stud, then 19" another one, then 22" and the next, etc. In "earthquake-proof, rolling boxes, there just isn't any repeatable stud measurements.

Look at some of the brochures downloadable from the Keystone website and you'll see what I'm describing.

If your plan is to install on an interior wall, you should be able to locate the staple rows that secure the luan panels to the studs.

Here's one example of the exterior wall stud configuration:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV WALL STUD DIAGRAM.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	23069  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback