Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Jay D

Water heater

Hey all,

I have a question about the water heater. Should I turn the water heater on and off after the family is done showering or can I just leave it all the time. If where camping for a week or so is it good to leave it on? I run off propane to heat it. Right now wife or I will turn the heater on about 1 hr before anyone uses the shower/sink then we shut it off after. Does it matter?

Thanks, Jay
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

When dry camping, we do not have the HW heater on all the time. We turn it on about 30 min prior to our doing dishes or showering. When those "chores" are finished, it is turned off. The key is to remember to turn it off and on at the right time. It is always turned off during the night. It is surprising how warm the water temp is despite having been turned off for a considerable length of time.
I don't see any point in using propane to keep the water hot for 24 hours a day. To me, it doesn't make much sense when dry camping.
It won't hurt anything or do any damage by having it on and off for certain times of the day.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

Smile

Hi there when my wife and i camp it is usuly full service. Water electric sewer. We turn our hot water on 1/2 hour before we need it then off when we are done have done this since 01 never had a problem enjoy barney
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Jay D

Thank you Festus2 and Saabdocter for the replies. We mostly have full hook up when we go out, except when I go to the races in Oct in CT. Then I have a generator and use the water pump. At this time I always shut the water heater off after. It shouldn't hurt anything if there left on over night or for a day?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
GMcKenzie

On electricity, I turn it on when I set up and off when I pack up. The switch is on the heater itself and I just leave it on.

On Propane, I do what Festus said.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
Jay D

How is the recovery on elec? With the gas mine is really quick.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
Firecapt

I'm with Saabdoctor, we turn the WH on about 20-30 minutes before we need it then turn it off after use.

The caveat to this is if we are on full hookups, and have switched the WH to electric, we leave it on all the time. The previous method is to save propane.

It doesn't hurt if it's left on 24/7 but unless you are running it on electric, you're just throwing away propane.

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Jay D

Thank you for the replies. Has anyone found that the water is hotter with elec or propane and how is the recovery time with elec. There is 5 of us taking showers and with the propane it doesn't seem to run out of hot water. We never ran it on elec yet, the cotter pin is still in the switch on the water heater. I head some people say they use both at the same time, Is that possible?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Yes, using both at the same is possible and may result in a faster recovery time but not sure how much faster it would be than using only propane. Try using both to see if it is worthwhile.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
mhs4771

If you're on a site and electric is included, why not use the electric?? I understand when on a seasonal metered site you may want to experiment to see which is more cost effective. As to using both electric and gas-did that on both our previous TT. Did speed up recovery, but don't know exactly by how much. Current 5er has a 12 Gal tank which really helps, provides much more hot water.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote