Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #1
canesfan

Insurance - Progressive or Geico?

So my current insurance is getting out of the RV market. I've read some topics on here but nothing that has really helped me make up my mind. I don't want to add it to my auto policy and I don't like Good Sam. Anyone have good or bad real life experience with Progressive or Geico, or would like to recommend someone else?
Old 07-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #2
B-O-B'03

I have all my insurance with The Hartford and it was very inexpensive to add the trailer when we got it, the annual amount is $203.

The policy is for an agreed amount, equal to what we paid for the trailer new, with a $77 deductible for comprehensive and $477 for collision.

I purchase my insurance through AARP and get a decent discount for that as well as having the home and all 3 autos on the policy.

-Brian
Old 07-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
canesfan

Hartford won't just insure the trailer. I don't have time at the moment to get quotes to have to change everything (4 cars, RV, house, etc) and I need to get this done within the next month. I got a quote from them for just the RV and my truck and it didn't look too bad though.

I just got an email from Geico that they won't insure just the RV either. Sigh. They didn't bother to tell me that when I was filling out the app.

Only one so far that will insure just the RV is Progressive. Quote wasn't too bad.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
CamperDave

We have Geico on ours. We have had them for many years (no claims) on all our cars, boats, previous TT, and home. They stopped home insurance in Oklahoma so we had to change that one.

TV - 2013 Toyota Tundra TSS 4x4 5.7L
TT - 2017 Keystone Outback Ultra Lite 293UBH
CamperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
notanlines

43 years with Geico, not problem one! $9000 claim when the infamous China bombs went kapooie. They even paid for my two blown tires. Yes, however, car, trucks, motorcycle and RV.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
canesfan

So now I'm wondering about these that won't just insure the RV. Are they really "stand alone" RV insurance or are they add on to auto polices? In rereading the email Geico sent I'm starting to think it's not a stand alone RV policy.

"To provide a quote on your travel trailer, we would need to provide coverage for your tow vehicle as well."

I want a stand alone RV policy, not an add on.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #7
canesfan

So I called Geico to ask, I was right, it is not a stand alone RV policy, it is a bundled auto policy. Blah. They can do a stand alone policy through Foremost I was told, but it was pretty pricey compared to what I have seen so far.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I've got Geico for my cars and RV. Never a moment's trouble. $7k when my tire blew out and tore up the underside of the trailer - no questions and far more than I thought they would pay. I assume they bundle with the vehicle because there is no liability on the RV alone per se - it resides with the vehicle. My umbrella policies (Geico) require I have max liability insurance on everything and the vehicle liability takes care of the RV.

I had my boats insured with Progressive. Had one incident when hitting a submerged "something" and tore up the prop. It also bent the prop shaft. It was a battle to get them to agree the prop shaft was bent even though you could watch the prop spin in very lopsided circles (and I and the lady adjuster, along with the shop manager were looking at it). They eventually agreed and we got it fixed.

I'm not sure why you want stand alone RV insurance as I think you're going to find it's more expensive and a waste of money - IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #9
captcolour

I have my vehicles with Progressive so added the 5th wheel. Don't know if they do stand alone RV insurance or not.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I have a stand alone Progressive policy. Was pleased with it so I switched my auto over to them too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #11
bsmith0404

Have Geico, one claim so far and it was a great experience. The trailer was totaled, Geico gave a very good estimate of value. The only issue I had was that we had just spent $2000 replacing the refrigerator. Sent them the receipts and they adjusted the value up $2000 to compensate. The claim process was very quick and easy. They're rates are the best I've been able to find as well.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've got Geico for my cars and RV. Never a moment's trouble. $7k when my tire blew out and tore up the underside of the trailer - no questions and far more than I thought they would pay. I assume they bundle with the vehicle because there is no liability on the RV alone per se - it resides with the vehicle. My umbrella policies (Geico) require I have max liability insurance on everything and the vehicle liability takes care of the RV.

I had my boats insured with Progressive. Had one incident when hitting a submerged "something" and tore up the prop. It also bent the prop shaft. It was a battle to get them to agree the prop shaft was bent even though you could watch the prop spin in very lopsided circles (and I and the lady adjuster, along with the shop manager were looking at it). They eventually agreed and we got it fixed.

I'm not sure why you want stand alone RV insurance as I think you're going to find it's more expensive and a waste of money - IMO.

Forgot to add that the Geico policy has a new trailer replacement clause; if the trailer is totaled in the first 7 years they give me a new, current year trailer.....
Old 07-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #13
CaptnJohn

I have Progressive ONLY on the 5er. Truck/SUV through St Farm and house through whoever the local independent finds cost effective. Progressive was less expensive through GS for same coverage than through my agent.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #14
mtlineman2010

Nobody deals with USAA? That's who mine is thru and they are pretty tough to beat on prices.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
AirLift LoadLifter 5000s & WirelessOne Compressor
mtlineman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #15
Grawe

Yep, USAA for 20+ years on all insurance needs, except RV. They refer (through their site) RV ins to Progressive. This is a better quote than I can get going straight to Progressive. Been with the USAA/Progressive combo for 2+ years now, no claims but no issues.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Grawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:44 AM   #16
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlineman2010 View Post
Nobody deals with USAA? That's who mine is thru and they are pretty tough to beat on prices.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
I've been with USAA for 20 years, as already mentioned they work with progressive for RV and motorcycle insurance. When I got my quotes Progressive (through USAA) was more expensive than Geico for both the RV and the motorcycle. I've since sold the motorcycle, but still have the RV with Geico, everything else is with USAA. As for the claims process, both use pretty much the same process and are painless.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:34 AM   #17
Tbos

FWIW, Geico says they won't provide "Emergency Roadside Assistance" insurance on my dually. They said it just cost too much for them to do.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:24 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
FWIW, Geico says they won't provide "Emergency Roadside Assistance" insurance on my dually. They said it just cost too much for them to do.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

That seems a little strange to me; they put it on all my vehicles. No more than they do on roadside assistance I'm not sure I can see what the difference would be.....not like they're going to buy you 6 tires.

Add: I don't have a dually.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:34 AM   #19
Javi

I switched to Geico from Farmer's because Farmer's had gotten silly with their rates. Geico gave me better coverage on our auto and trailer for less than half of the cost of Farmer's. And I have roadside assistance on the dually and the 5th wheel... plus full replacement with current year model of the trailer in case of total loss...

Javi
Old 07-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Something to remember is that insurance regulations are controlled by the states not the federal government. So what's applicable to one state may be entirely different in another state. While we were in the military and moving frequently we ran into many situations where our insurance company could not/would not provide comparable coverage in the new location. And, with the case in Michigan (a no fault state) it's not even an apples to oranges comparison. In this state, comparing, say Louisiana's insurance company offerings to Michigan's insurance company offerings is more like comparing apples to whales. Yes, even with the "fishy smells" that I get with no fault insurance.

As a note, a comparable coverage policy in New Orleans (a very high claim area) with coverage in rural Michigan, the cost of a "similar coverage policy" in Michigan is almost double the price of that coverage in New Orleans.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that much of the commentary in this thread is relevant to one state and doesn't "cross state lines" or apply anywhere except where the poster is located.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote