Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #1
canesfan

921 Bulbs and Fixtures HOT

Most of my lights are LED but they still but a couple of those surface mount 921 fixtures under the kitchen cabinet, above the bed and in the compartments. I had already replaced the kitchen bulb with an LED and the socket had shown signs of getting hot. Recently I was using the basement 921 fixture for a night light since my awning lights are already shot and the bright LED above door lights are too bright at times. For whatever reason I managed to touch the fixture reaching for something and almost burned myself. Yes, it was that hot. I probably could have burned myself if I tried. I turned it off, took the lens off, let the bulb cool and took it out. The socket was pretty much black. I knew they got hot but never that hot. Not sure if the fact that the fixture is mounted vertically with the bulb pointing down had anything to do with this one getting so much hotter. Anyway, I had some spare LEDs to replace the 921 with and all was good. Anyway, just another thing to check on. Not sure if they would ever get hot enough to start a fire, but worth keeping an eye on, or changing to LEDs.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The 921s DO get that hot. When I replaced all of mine (1st summer) most of the sockets were already brownish to dark brown on one. When leaving them on for a while 30-45 mins. they would get very hot. I have seen them melt the socket so if a person is going to use the RV and leave the lights on they need to be changed to LEDs as soon as possible........there is NO comparison between the two. The added benefit is the converter. Before the changeout the converter would kick on as soon as I turned on a light switch (3 fixtures), now I can turn on all the major switches (8 fixtures, 16 LEDs) and the converter still doesn't come on.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I've had 921 bulbs get hot enough to actually melt the plastic fixture cover and, when removing the fixture to replace it (it's impossible to find a replacement cover in an RV store without buying the entire light and they are never "exactly the same") the wallboard under the fixture (behind the light bulb) was scorched from the heat produced by the bulb.

I won't go so far as to say that 921 lights are a fire hazard, but they can get really, REALLY hot !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
BuxCamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Most of my lights are LED but they still but a couple of those surface mount 921 fixtures under the kitchen cabinet, above the bed and in the compartments. I had already replaced the kitchen bulb with an LED and the socket had shown signs of getting hot. Recently I was using the basement 921 fixture for a night light since my awning lights are already shot and the bright LED above door lights are too bright at times. For whatever reason I managed to touch the fixture reaching for something and almost burned myself. Yes, it was that hot. I probably could have burned myself if I tried. I turned it off, took the lens off, let the bulb cool and took it out. The socket was pretty much black. I knew they got hot but never that hot. Not sure if the fact that the fixture is mounted vertically with the bulb pointing down had anything to do with this one getting so much hotter. Anyway, I had some spare LEDs to replace the 921 with and all was good. Anyway, just another thing to check on. Not sure if they would ever get hot enough to start a fire, but worth keeping an eye on, or changing to LEDs.
I would say yes, the vertical orientation didn't help the socket.

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:27 AM   #5
MikeN

/Another light bulb question. I have a 2010 Springdale RV trailer. Just purchased and going through it to insure it is both clean and everything is functioning correctly. When taking off the light domes I noticed that one, (both sides) had burn marks in the center directly under the light bulb. To hot? Wrong size bulb? I also noticed that many of the bulbs were black, why would that be? Thanks in advance for your help.

Should the bulbs be switched out to LED bulbs to prevent this? One other question, I saw where someone said they had ordered a multipak from overseas. Does anyone have the address for that web site? Thanks for your help.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:34 AM   #6
BuxCamper

You can check ebay for bulbs but some are of dubious quality. SuperBrightLED.com is a little more expensive but they sell quality LED bulbs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a number of threads concerning LED assemblies to replace the 921 and incandescent bulbs with other styles of bases throughout the forum. These LED threads can be easily found using the search feature in the top bar of every forum page. Since LED technology is rapidly changing, some of the earlier threads may not produce links that go to a current merchant offering, but many will lead you to acceptable LED assemblies offered on EBay, Amazon and a number of other sites. Be aware that any LED assembly you buy should be rated for "variable DC power" (typically 12-28 VDC). I'd suggest you not buy LED assemblies rated as "12 VDC" since they may be damaged by the power converter/charger in your trailer which can produce DC voltage up to approximately 14 VDC.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:07 AM   #8
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
/Another light bulb question. I have a 2010 Springdale RV trailer. Just purchased and going through it to insure it is both clean and everything is functioning correctly. When taking off the light domes I noticed that one, (both sides) had burn marks in the center directly under the light bulb. To hot? Wrong size bulb? I also noticed that many of the bulbs were black, why would that be? Thanks in advance for your help.
That is normal with incandescent bulbs. Change to LEDs. Black ones are usually burnt out.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

I guess at the 7 or so RVs I have had all had 921s or similar, always hot when left on, sockets were always brown. I used to attempt to not leave any on for long time or never when not in the unit. LEDS finally have gotten so, cheap there nearly the same price. Just change out every bulb with a LED and be happy, no worries about heat even through they came from China they seen to last a long time.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote