Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #1
Capt.Tony

Fan/Vent wiring dilemma

Hello forum, I just purchased a new 5th wheel and the vent in the kitchen ceiling is non powered and too high to be opened manually without a small ladder. I wish to install a remote controlled fantastic fan in the same opening. There is no pre-wired power for this , however there is a ceiling light a few inches away and i have located these wires to connect to my new fan...... My concern is that the light is one of 3 on the ceiling and are controlled by a switch in the main control, panel. I'm not electrically inclined and hoping someone would be able to tell me how to connect the fan to those wires and have it HOT at all times. Is that even possible ? I,m sure i would want to leave the vent fan on, without all the ceiling lights being on at the same time. Any input would be appreciated . Thanks in advance.
Capt.Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Re: Fan/Vent wiring dilemma

If the lights have individual switches at the light then you can just tie into that circuit. If there isn't, then you need to tie in BEFORE the switch. Since it's in the kitchen area, you may be able to fish a wire from the vent to the Stove vent or the refer. If there are more than just the light wires then a test light with a probe would work great. The WHITE wires will be ground and COLORED wires will be hot. 12V is braided and 110V is romex.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
Capt.Tony

Thanks for your input Chuckster 57.... The lights DO have a integral switch . It's 3 position.....off, low and high. They are always on and the wall switch turns all 3 of them on, if their respective switches are on. Can you explain a little further so that i can understand exactly what i should do. I should note that i found wires connected to the light fixture near the vent opening. So, i should be able to make connections easily. Just need to know how to wire it to the switched circuit as you suggest.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If you found a group of wires, then it's easy enough to find an always on circuit if there is one.
You can get a 12V test light with a sharp point. Since all grounds are to the frame, I have a male 110 plug with a wire attached to just the ground. It's about 12" long, and I plug it in and then attach the alligator clip of the test light to it.

At that point you can just poke the colored wires and when the test light lights, that circuit is live. If none of the wires are hot then you can start turning things on to see what lights the tester.

We have ran wire from the kitchen vent over the ceiling into the refer cabinet, but that Can get involved.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
Capt.Tony

Today i used a fiberglass rod to fish wires from the Power source at the Bathroom vent to the Kitchen vent (appox 8')that i am needing 12v power for my new fan.... Tomorrow climb on the roof and remove the dicor and the vent itself.... If Amazon holds true to the reputation, i should have a new fan by nightfall.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
Capt.Tony

Job Complete and it works great.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Excellent.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #8
mfinta

Capt. Tony, have you blown any fuses with the kitchen fan and bath fan running at the same time? I just ordered two fantastic fans and am making plans to wire them similar to how you did it.

Mike Finta
mfinta is offline   Reply With Quote