Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
raygor

Question on how big a unit I can go.

I have an 05 Toyota Sequoia Limited SUV. We have a Trailmanor that weights 3500 and it tows it fine. We are looking to buy a lite Keystone that can be pulled by our Sequoia. The Sequoia is rated to 6250 with a hitch load of 650. We really would like a slide out for more room instde. We like the 2250RB Passport but don't know if it could take the hitch weight. I know we could haul the 199ML but would like to go bigger but don't know how much we can go without pushing the limit. There is just two of us and our favorite is the 2510RB but seems to long and heavy. Just asking from the group your thoughts, we talked to a dealer here in MN and they talk like we can haul anything just to make the sale.
Thanks,
Rick
raygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

My advice is to get the weights of trailer you are looking at. By weights the gross trailer wt. and tongue wt. Than compare to what Toyota says the max wt.s are. Always great to be below max wt.s but, many towing RVs are at and over what the trucks say they can tow and carry. Is that right, lawful or even OK, you decide.
Keystone tongue wt.s are listed as empty. Real world wt.s will be a lot more. For example my listed trailer: Keystone says is 530 lbs. Real wt. for camping is 900 lbs when I scaled at a DOT station.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
Tbos

Most people put about 1000lbs of stuff in their TTs so take that into consideration too. If you love your TV then get a unit that will give you a margin of safety. I started with a 238ML and moved to a 2810BH because I wanted a couch, full size queen, and bigger bathroom. Good luck with your decision. I'd have picked the 2510 if I didn't want the bunks. My truck is rated at 9200lbs.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Your desire to "upsize" is understandable, and almost predictable, in the RV buyers world. Unfortunately, a 2005 Sequoia is going to be pretty limited on what it can tow. With a max tow of 6250 and a hitch max of 650 you also have a payload of about 1200 lbs or less I suspect.

The hitch on the 2250RB will be 700+ lbs when fully loaded and the trailer will be 6500. Both exceed the specs for your Sequoia. Factor in the payload; say 725 for tongue weight; 100 for hitch weight and 300 for two adults - you're at 1125lbs on payload. Another factor is the drivetrain on that Sequoia. I believe the engine has about 280hp and 320lbs of torque. It will be severely taxed trying to pull 6500 lbs up hill and dale. At 11 years old is it mechanically up to trying to haul a big load?? Also, dropping that tongue on the receiver may put you over your GAWR; you wouldn't know unless you got some very specific number or put it on a scale.

Not what you wanted to hear I know. And yes, the salesman will tell you anything generally. I had a salesman telling me I could buy a 5th wheel with a pin weight of 2200lbs and put it on my Ram 1500....which had a payload of 1400 lbs. You have to go with real numbers.

I would suggest a new SUV but don't really know which one to suggest. I was going to buy a Tahoe (don't recall the towing specs off hand) and that fell through. Just finished looking at a new Sequoia and the towing specs haven't changed much from yours even with 380+ hp and 400+ lbs of torque.....just a lot bigger SUV. If it's just the two of you, you might consider a 4 door pickup. They're awfully nice anymore and it would probably improve your towing ability considerably. Good luck in your decision.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #5
notanlines

Raygor, I see where Sourdough kind of rained on your towing parade. Problem is everything he said is on the money. Sequoias aren't up to much other than hauling around half a kid's baseball team. And, yes, I expect a little heat.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #6
bsmith0404

First question is do you have the towing package? Many will look at what the tow ratings are and go with it. In reality most SUVs nowadays have 2 different ratings, with and without the tow package. With is typically around 5,000-7,000 lbs, without is typically around 3,000 lbs. A lot of people think the tow package is BS and just something extra for the manufacturer/dealer to sell. In reality, they include a transmission cooler, engine oil cooler, heavier shocks, hitch, and wiring. Ford doesn't even sell the towing package for the explorer as an aftermarket item, it has to be installed at the factory. If you bring one in for transmission problems under warranty with an aftermarket hitch, guess what they will say caused the transmission failure? I know people who buy a new SUV, throw a $250 after market hitch and call it good, it's their transmission/engine/money, so who am I to judge?

My recommendation, find the unit that will make you happy and get a TV to match or exceed....or you'll be back in this same place in a couple years.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #7
raygor

Thanks everyone your your replies. I guess I new it was pushing it with the Sequoia. I think I will start looking for a Ford 250 Crew Cab short box for hauling.
raygor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport, sequoia