Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
Camping Buddys

Questions about soft back wall of a 2016 Outback 325bh

Greetings to all, after 2 years without a camper, we are jumping into a used 2016 Outback 325. the price seems good. (22k out the door)
Our concerns are: The back wall, (Outside) under the window seems loose, don't know anything about keystone, Is this normal? It's like is not attached some areas to the frame?, salesman said "that's normal because the studs are separated" The response was "the new ones don't delaminated". It does seems very dry, not any signs of water damaged.
The panel/wall from te kitchen to the bunks, got detached for the frame, it's a curved wall, so it's possible with the traveling to get loose?
so far, it looks good, but any help from this great forum, would be really appreciate.
God bless!
John
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and potentially to Keystone RVing !!!

To answer your question, the side walls are "vacuum bonded", the front cap is a fiberglass cap and the rear wall is "free hanging". That said, the rear wall is held in place by the top, sides and bottom with the only "other fasteners" being the rear clearance and tail lights, window and vent covers (which are screwed to the underlying frame). Even though it's "free hanging" and "loose" there can be "water intrusion" from a leak, so what "looks normal" and is described as normal, be sure there's no "unseen" damage underneath that "floating rear wall".....

Chances are, with a 2016 model, there's probably no "damage" to the rear from water intrusion, but check just to be sure !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
Tbos

Welcome to the forum. A floating rear wall simply means you can push in on it instead of it feeling solid. The side walls should all feel solid to the touch. They are laminated to a foam core and the frame. Enjoy that new rig.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:05 PM   #4
Camping Buddys

Thanks for the info!
Will be at the dealer tomorrow for 2nd inspection and God willing will bring it home.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

New and specially used, don't "take it home" until the dealership demonstrates to your satisfaction that everything is in working condition. Download and print out this PDI check list, and let the dealer know your bringing it. IMO if the dealer balks at that...I would be looking elsewhere.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5129

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #6
Camping Buddys

Hello, I did get the PDI list and almost got kicked out of the dealer when I mentioned to the service dpt that I was going to go point by point. lol
Still working with them to get the camper in a fair condition to take it home. 3 trips to the dealer, 2 hrs away and still dirty, (it's very dirty, stained sink and worn out for a 2016). (it's used, but looks like the p.o. were living in it. The living room slide cables have a squeaking noise. Sounds like the pulley or the cables are ready to snap!
For the delay so far, they offer to deliver the unit to my house, after I sign all the papers, (which I still have, until the camper is clean and ready)
one new sidekick bbq.
new w.d.hitch for my truck.
But that slide noise is driving me a little crazy! lol
Old 05-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #7
dcg9381

One thing not on that PDI - look at where the cables come through the interior aluminum trim (jamb-clamp). The cables should NOT touch the jamb clamp when the slide is fully closed.

Make sure you actuate that slide in/out at least twice - no unusual noises, jerking, or any other fun stuff. (squeaking, limited, is somewhat normal, IMHO)

A dealer should NOT balk at your PDI. If they're representing it in good shape and actually know it, it should be a non-issue.

Inspect the roof carefully. If it's not a walk-on type roof, you still need to have a look.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
Camping Buddys

Thank you dcg9381, will have to get on the roof this weekend. After a week debating with the dealer, the Outback is home. delivered by the dealer this morning. Looks good! Kids like it a lot!

Thanks to all. Will post some pictures when I'm done figuring how to do it!
Old 05-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #9
Camping Buddys

Our "new to us" Outback 325BH

Our "new to us" Outback 325BH, it's finally here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	10441  
Old 05-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Buddys View Post
Our "new to us" Outback 325BH, it's finally here.

Looks really sharp. Watch out for that basketball hoop when you're putting it away. Enjoy.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:21 AM   #11
canesfan

Outside looks great. Yeah, watch out for the basketball hoop. Had a buddy back into theirs forgetting it was there and he was in a hurry. But he also backed into the gutter over the garage (with the ladder) and a tree and several other things.