Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2016, 04:01 AM   #1
texhater42

first trip of the season in the books...I was 'rusty'

We (my wife and I) were old hands at this last year, but not so much for this first trip. First, I forgot a few things, no "show-stoppers" but I wanted them. Then I dropped 2 ribeyes in the fire (I was trying to use the tripod over a campfire...seemed like a good idea at the time). Then if I didn't learn my lesson the first time, I dropped an ear of corn in the fire while rotating it lol. We ended up losing shore power for about 3 hours on Sunday, the fridge switched over to propane, good to know that system works. I was introduced to the fact that the outlets wont work off of battery (I thought that's the inverter was for). Also my water pressure dropped significantly with no shore power (this was with city water...not sure what was up with that). All in all, good trip, needed to get back in the groove of things. Camper did great, family had fun (minus 2 ribeyes and an ear of corn) lol. Oh, I forgot I ran over my chalks while trying to yank out of the driveway...smh
Passport 2400BH
E-2 WDH
Tekonsha Voyager Brake Controller

texhater42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:51 AM   #2
BirchyBoy

I had a few blunders on my first trip as well this season. My first year with slides and dual waste connections.

-I tried to back up onto level pads even though I had put my chocks down prior to checking level.
-I didn't account for my slide when positioning the trailer towards the pedestal. Had to move.
-I didn't connect the forward waste connection prior to putting the slide out. I had to crawl under the slide to connect it.
-I have to switch hose connections at the ground when dumping the tanks. I didn't do this the very last time I dumped my black tank. I DO put the cap on the unused waste hose so nothing hit the ground. But it was very unpleasant removing it and trying to aim for the ground connection.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:56 AM   #3
SADLY

Certain outlets WILL work off an inverter... Provided you have one.

They are generally not standard equipment on run of the mill trailers - unless you have one with a residential fridge installed.

You have a converter which is what takes the 120v from your shore power and converts it to 12V for your 12v items and battery charging.

Camp watery pressure dropping when power loss could indicate that the campground is on a well water system... And at some point the pressure may drop to zero. Hence another reason I always fill my tank and work off my pump even when water available.
SADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
GaryWT

Any time a steak is dropped is enough to ruin a weekend...

I agree with water pressure was a campground thing since the power was out.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
4LowNGo

Happens to the best of us. I left the handle bar for lowering the chains on the WDH on top of the propane tank cover before we rolled out home. I've caught myself doing this before and knew one day it get me and this time it did.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:43 PM   #6
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LowNGo View Post
Happens to the best of us. I left the handle bar for lowering the chains on the WDH on top of the propane tank cover before we rolled out home. I've caught myself doing this before and knew one day it get me and this time it did.
Start worrying when you find the bar and don't know what its for.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:06 PM   #7
Richard Noble

You name it, I've messed it up. This year I did have a first -- we were in Tonopah, AZ for the winter. Went to Camping World and bought a soft water system. Loved this thing. Got ready to head back to freezing Colo. and decided I'd better drain the soft water tank, so I unscrewed the top and poured out the water. Of Course that let all the resin flow out also. After we got home, I called the company and explained what I'd done. They discounted (a lot) a refill resin kit and sent it to me. I have decided that I will read all manuals front to back from now on!
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #8
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Any time a steak is dropped is enough to ruin a weekend...
X 2! That must have hurt!
Old 04-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #9
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Noble View Post
I have decided that I will read all manuals front to back from now on!
Watch for Karma as we know that will not happen to any guy...

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:22 PM   #10
hankaye

Howdy All;

Never heard of steaks done "Pittsburgh Style"? Simply put it's done directly
on the coals themselves. Quick scrape gets rid of the extra crunchies ...
Corn should always (IMO), be wrapped in aluminum foil withe butter and
some salt an pepper that way it can be done on the coals as well ...
Fear not and waste not.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:28 AM   #11
byrdr1

I have dropped more food into the grill than I care to admit. seems to be hamburger more than steaks or pork chops. The dogs loved them with that extra crispy finish..
I have moved the camper several times for the slides before I made a small PVC pipe with red tape marking the two slide lengths. Each end has the black electrical tape wrapped around for looks and then each slide length has the red electrical tape mark. So anytime I am not sure I can pull this out and measure real quick. Quick and easy. the drivers side slides are around 2ft. the curb slide is around 3ft. always worry about drive side as most hookups are on that side but trees can mess with you too. One time I measured and had it right on the money, nope 1/2 inch to close. a bundled up beach towel works..between the post and slide.
At least you were camping and away..
enjoy
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote