Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiserk0410 View Post
What is 303?

Aerospace 303 is a protective product, widely used in many fields including RV's.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #22
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
We had ours installed on our slider. So far so good. I also live in the northwest and so far there has not been any debris under the topper and on the slider top. But I do inspect every time prior to bringing in the slider. Precautions.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

I have not installed slide toppers and have not pursued them. I've seen so many that sag and look so tacky. On one occasion in FL when assigned a space under some kind of tree, the trailer took on so much debris from the molting tree that is stuffed the gutters, molded and stunk in less than a couple of weeks. I don't know how you deal with that with toppers when you are there 3-4 months. Just trying to keep the gutters and slide tops clean was an issue.

I LOVE the idea of toppers. And some, not many with toppers, stay in locations under heavy trees where we stay. Maybe I'm missing something, and I would love NOT to have to bring out the ladder and clean all the slide tops but they sure look like a lot of trouble if you are in wet, humid conditions with tree droppings that are like fine mist/rotten pollen something or the other. Am I missing something??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #24
rhagfo

Well just finished the install of two slide toppers on our Copper Canyon. Dometic was my choice from Makarios RV Parts, great price and CS.
one was a 6' the other was a 13', 6' I installed myself, DW assisted on the 13', both installed at our RV storage yard.

https://www.makariosrv.com/

This is the 6' after install.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:09 PM   #25
rcmike

Ive installed the slide toppers on my rig made by dometic. They make the rig look nicer. I try to stay away from trees when parked. I like them so far.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:15 PM   #26
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well just finished the install of two slide toppers on our Copper Canyon. Dometic was my choice from Makarios RV Parts, great price and CS.
one was a 6' the other was a 13', 6' I installed myself, DW assisted on the 13', both installed at our RV
Looks great and factory installed. Thanks for sharing.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:01 AM   #27
66joej

Aerospace 303 is a protectant similar to but not the same as armor all and products like that. Big advantage over the others in properties. Try it available at most auto and big box stores. Check out their website.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:41 AM   #28
Jeepshots

Slide topper was something i had Lakeshore RV install (along with the electric tongue jack). I think it's worth it. Was quoted $450 for mine. They did it for less than $400 after it was all said and done. Took the guy 10 minutes to install it - and most of that time was setting up/moving/taking down his ladders. I need to research it and figure out how (what i'm assuming it is) the self-tensioner works on it. Has a little arm that rotates out with the slide, and looks to have a little shelf that it'd hit if the tension was off.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:55 PM   #29
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepshots View Post
Slide topper was something i had Lakeshore RV install (along with the electric tongue jack). I think it's worth it. Was quoted $450 for mine. They did it for less than $400 after it was all said and done. Took the guy 10 minutes to install it - and most of that time was setting up/moving/taking down his ladders. I need to research it and figure out how (what i'm assuming it is) the self-tensioner works on it. Has a little arm that rotates out with the slide, and looks to have a little shelf that it'd hit if the tension was off.
If it was a Dometic, that little arm, and shelf are the anti-billow device. Because the awing is just under spring tension, a strong wind could cause it to unwind. With the slide in, if the wind catches the awing, the arm hits the shelf and stops the awing from unfurling any further than about an 1/8 of a rotation.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #30
Jeepshots

Gotcha. thanks! Wonder how many times that happened before they thought to include that nifty little feature....
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote