Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2016, 03:32 AM   #1
notanlines

Stove hood/fan upgrade

I searched but couldn't find the thread where this was posted previously so I thought I better give credit where due. I ordered and installed the SAM-1 vent fan and light upgrade kit from this site: http://www.rvvent.com/fabulousoperatingproducts.htm
Start to finish I spent about 2 hours following directions. Everything about this kit is exactly as advertised. I did not install the new exterior vent that was included because I hadn't brought a good ladder, but everything else went great. I suppose it remains to be seen if it was worth the $199 but we're happy so far.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:37 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I installed the SAM-1 kit last spring. We were truly impressed with the quiet, efficient fan. I wasn't "thrilled" with the color of the LED lights, but after a while, the "blueness" grew on us and we don't notice it much any more.

The fan, on low, moved more air than the OEM fan and we could hardly hear the new fan when it was in operation. Any "background noise" and it's real easy to forget it's on (not good for dry camping) LOL

We enjoy ours, I think you'll find it to be an "expensive" but good mod as well.

After using it a bit, post your feelings. We're happy with ours !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:42 AM   #3
dcg9381

Thanks for the reference to that product!
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:25 AM   #4
tommy_z

My trailer didn't come with an exterior exhaust, and the hood fan was useless. So I struggled with smoke/odor control while cooking.

I removed the cooktop hood and put in a new LED fixture. Since I had a ceiling vent in the kitchen area, I replaced it with a Maxxair powered fan. If I open the window by the cooktop, and crank up the fan, it moves so much air that smoke and odor is no longer a problem. I'm very happy with this change.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #5
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_z View Post
My trailer didn't come with an exterior exhaust, and the hood fan was useless. So I struggled with smoke/odor control while cooking.

I removed the cooktop hood and put in a new LED fixture. Since I had a ceiling vent in the kitchen area, I replaced it with a Maxxair powered fan. If I open the window by the cooktop, and crank up the fan, it moves so much air that smoke and odor is no longer a problem. I'm very happy with this change.
ditto, this was also my solution.

But the Sam-1 vent fan upgrade looks appealing if I had no roof vent near the stove.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:55 AM   #6
mosquitoman

Vent Hood

My Passport also did not vent the hood outside. It was really easy to cut a hole in the wall, I found the correct sized metal duct to connect it to my hood. It now works like it should have from the start.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:08 AM   #7
GaryWT

You all need to learn to cook better, lol. Glad you have found a solution that has worked out. To date no issues for me so all is good.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote