Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2015, 06:54 AM   #1
jamesmc321

Summerland Underbelly

So have a general question for everyone, and sorry in this area of the forum, couldn't find anywhere better.

I have a 2014 Summerland 2800BHGS and for some reason when I was pulling it out of storage this spring i looked underneath and it just didn't look the same.

I called the dealer and asked if there was some type of cover that covered all the parts underneath - as that is what i thought it had - and they told me no, that camper didn't have one.

Soooo, that brings me to today. I FINALLY got an email back from the Keystone RV customer service team (3 months) and they told me that it should have a plastic type covering, which protects all the wiring, parts, etc..

So question is, who is right and if it is the customer service person, i have looked high and low for a part number to order a replacement to no avail - help in that area would be appreciated as well.

thank you all - love this forum!
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
Steve S

Yes it should like most trailers have a coroplast cover, there shouldn't be anything exposed.
Go to your dealer and look under every trailer and they'll all have the covers
Old 07-01-2015, 08:06 AM   #3
KanTC

James,

The current (online) info for the Summerland line doesn't show a *fully enclosed underbelly* as a standard feature.
Also see pg 12, under the "Construction" heading... 2014 brochure http://www.keystonerv.com/media/8622...014_lowres.pdf

I'm "guessing" the Customer Service person confused the Summerland & the Springdale since they're in the same brochure.
I am surprised that it isn't (at least) partially covered, though.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

jamesmc -
From the specs on their website, the enclosed underbelly is not a standard feature and isn't listed as one of the available options.

I'm not sure if the underbelly material - coroplast - can be designated as a specific "part". It comes in sheets and is available in 4'x8' in most big box building supply stores. It is also available at places that make signs but I would think you would pay more there.

You could measure the square footage of the underbelly, buy enough sheets to cover the bottom and install it yourself if this is something you think is necessary. It cuts easily and is attached to the frame and supports by self-taping sheet metal screws. Joints can be covered using Gorilla tape.

Probably not a "fun" project since you will be lying flat on your back during the installation process. Try to pick a cool, dry day. It's not a difficult install - just awkward and uncomfortable and doesn't require a lot of specialized tools or know how.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There are two different types of "underbelly covering" material. First, the one used on Summerland and on "SOME" Springdale models is DARCO. It is a polyethylene coated fabric (think blue poly tarp) and is very flexible. It's the same "waterproof" covering found on many mobile homes.

Then there is COROPLAST. It's a "corrugated plastic" similar in construction to a "cardboard box". It comes in rolls and is used as the "insulating underbelly" on many RV's.

Summerland uses a 2x3" wooden floor system. The way it is constructed is to lay DARCO across the top of the frame rails, build the wooden floor system, run the electrical, plumbing and heat ducting, then pull the DARCO up around the sides of that framework and staple it in place. Once the walls are installed, then the floor all the enclosed electrical, heating, plumbing and underbelly are "covered in DARCO" and as such are "enclosed and waterproof"...

There is no additional "COROPLAST" underbelly installed below the DARCO and the holding tanks are "partly exposed" if you look under the trailer.

In "all aluminum construction" and in "upper end wooden construction" there is also a COROPLAST layer screwed to the bottom of the frame rails, but that is not done with Summerland RV's.

Here are links to DARCO http://www.all-rite.com/underbelly-material-p-407.html
and COROPLAST: http://www.trekwood.com/products/247...-Black-2600-rl

Keep in mind that usually RV's that have coroplast installed are done in "one piece". This comes on a roll (as seen in the trekwood site) and forms a continuous underbelly. Often access sites are cut in this layer so motors, valves, electrical connections and holding tank components can be reached.

I would not think that your Summerland was built with coroplast as a "standard feature". To see what is "common to the brand" you might want to shop a couple of dealerships that carry Summerland and just take a peek under them to see what's there..... I think you'll only find DARCO with possibly one small sheet of COROPLAST under the fresh water tank.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
Steve S

Just a quick question Festus, is this a standard practice and why would they leave the underbelly exposed like that?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
jamesmc321

Thank you everyone.

John - yours is what i seem to recall being there vs the cardboard like Coroplastic stuff.

Here is the thing, i can see my fresh water tank, motor and wire for slide / brakes and thats it, i cannot see the heat ducts or other tanks, so maybe i was i coming down from my trip to Denver when i thought i saw something completely enclosing the bottom
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

James,

Our Springdale was constructed the same as your Summerland. There was DARCO on top of the frame rails that covered all of the wooden structure, electric, plumbing and heat ducting. The holding tanks were installed below that level. My fresh water tank was "sandwiched" between two lateral frame members and there was a sheet of COROPLAST "wedged" into the frame members below the tank. There was a 2" heat duct "stuck" on the side of the fresh water tank, but no insulation or other weather protection under the frame of the trailer. My gray and black tanks and all associated dump plumbing were exposed under the trailer as was the slide extension rods, motor and all the wiring for the slide.

I would guess (I never verified this) that there was some fiberglass insulation laid between the 2x3" floor joists to help contain heat. I never took any of that apart to see if it was actually there or not.....

Living in northern Michigan, I wanted better cold weather protection, so I bought 4x8 sheets of 1" foam board (pink stuff) and cut that to fit under the trailer. Once that was all "pressed into place" I covered the entire bottom with a single sheet of COROPLAST and screwed that to the frame rails using self tapping 1/4" screws and fender washers. It made the floor significantly warmer and we never had problems camping during deer season. I don't think it was that much better than before, but it did protect the tanks a bit more....

As for your concern with "something missing". If you "think it was there before and now it's gone", is there any indication that it has been ripped away? any screw holes in the frame? any remnants of left over DARCO hanging around? If not and if the underside appears to be pretty much "untouched" or "undamaged" I'd suspect that it's always been like it is now and you just didn't pay that much attention to what was there last year.....

Honestly, Summerland is not a "great" 3 season camper and if you're going to try to upgrade it for that purpose, you'll still have issues with windows, wall/ceiling insulation and air infiltration that will negate much of what you try to improve under the floor. I'd leave it alone, it's a great "spring/summer" trailer, and if you're a "growing family" you probably won't be in it for much more than a couple of years before you start looking for something larger. At that time, any money you invest now will be lost since most dealers wouldn't even consider that kind of improvement as a part of the trade in value.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote